Audi R8 -- Mmm......

teej

Diesel power. 737lb-ft of torque. Good lord. That's 1000nM. :o

Anybody see the Fifth Gear episode when Tiff and Jason drove the 911 and the R8 against each other in 3 categories: drag race, powerslide, and track race? That R8 had me drooling, and it was the petrol powered one... this diesel must be a torque monster!

Over-the-Top: Audi R8 TDI Le Mans

It's a new twist on the high-performance exotic sports car - lean, mean and green, thanks to diesel power. And we drive it before the Europeans get to.

By Jim Hall • Photos by John Lamm

2008 New York Auto Show

With 500 horsepower and over 737 lb.-ft. of torque, the Audi R8 TDI Le Mans certainly has the street cred to move right up into the upper echelon of the exotic sports car category inhabited by the likes of the Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano and the Lamborghini Murciélago LP640. But this handsome German offering's powerplant sports an utterly unique twist over those Italian V-12-powered machines: It's a diesel.

post-22231-1211631936_thumb.jpg

Unique exterior (honeycomb-trimmed grille openings, carbon-fiber "sideblade" trim aft of the doors) and interior (aluminum trim, more carbon fiber) touches help further set this oil-burning edition apart from the road-going R8 coupe.

As this is a prototype vehicle, should the R8 TDI Le Mans go into production (it is likely to be built), it will most certainly sell for more than the current gas-burning, V-8-powered R8's base price of $109,000.

post-22231-1211631987_thumb.jpg

Look for a full Technical Analysis and Driving Impression in the June 2008 issue of Road & Track.

2008 New York Auto Show

It's a new twist on the high-performance exotic sports car - lean, mean and green, thanks to diesel power. And we drive it before the Europeans get to.

Saw it 5 years ago AT Le Mans 24 hour race. Drew more crowds than the Buggatti Vehron.

NEXT :o

That's not my quote Dave, it's the author's quote.

Yes, I realised that, mate :o

You saw the diesel version 5 years ago?? How did it run/sound?

A lot quieter than the beasts rolling round the track at 200MPH!! Sorry, No idea. unfortunetly locked in a high security glass/steel box, but it looked fantastic

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

• 6 months later...

EXACTLY MY POINT, not to mention it will kick arse off the mark, corner like its on rails and pull wheelies like theres no tomorrow and at the end of the day its still as sexy as it was in the morning...... :o

heres another angle for you, ive been trying to find a bad one

so far only the price tag here in thailand has got me

EXACTLY MY POINT, not to mention it will kick arse off the mark, corner like its on rails and pull wheelies like theres no tomorrow and at the end of the day its still as sexy as it was in the morning...... :o

heres another angle for you, ive been trying to find a bad one

so far only the price tag here in thailand has got me

Yep, see my 'This Big Bike Thing' thread. Thailand is the worst place in the World for affordable vehicles, unless you like Honda step-through's.

Do you have a bike in Thailand?

Yes but its still a glorified step thru, I have a 2007 Suzuki Raider 150, but at least its got a clutch and 6 gears and Ive managed to squeeze a few extra horses out of it, its just my substitute bike until i can get what i really want....the cost thing is an issue.

Yes but its still a glorified step thru, I have a 2007 Suzuki Raider 150, but at least its got a clutch and 6 gears and Ive managed to squeeze a few extra horses out of it, its just my substitute bike until i can get what i really want....the cost thing is an issue.

Got a Click 125 and a ZX130. Awful things.

Waiting for FTA with Japan to kick in, but most likely just going to settle for a D-Tracker when (if) I get back.

The old woman really hates the thought so I might just buy an R1 to pi$$ her off!

I love the R1's I had two back in Aus, I had a 98 & a 2003, both great machines, lota fun.

I had thought about buying a Ducati back in Aus and bringing it here until i worked out the tax bill was all crazy and to buy one here from Ducati thailand is rediculous, I would be paying more for a 1098 than I would for a 1098R in Australia, a complete joke.

Im not really keen to pick up something that someone else had already tortured....I cant help but to want new stuff.

I love the R1's I had two back in Aus, I had a 98 & a 2003, both great machines, lota fun.

I had thought about buying a Ducati back in Aus and bringing it here until i worked out the tax bill was all crazy and to buy one here from Ducati thailand is rediculous, I would be paying more for a 1098 than I would for a 1098R in Australia, a complete joke.

Im not really keen to pick up something that someone else had already tortured....I cant help but to want new stuff.

Don't worry mush, import duty on bikes made in Japan will come down to 6% in 2009. Free Trade Agreement!

I've looked on www.mocyc.com, but it's all dodgy stuff with bent green books and reg. No point.

Just have D-Tracker and tune it a bit.