Post Hole Diggers

I've got one. Purchased at Montri Hardware in Chiang Mai. Comes with 10cm or 20cm auger. I recommend the smaller one. Cost about 12,000 baht. I forget the brandname, but it's either Thai or Taiwanese made. Works best in rainy season or with a little jug of water standing by.

Montri Hardware: call 053 212311 or e mail [email protected]

Edited by lannarebirth

I've got one. Purchased at Montri Hardware in Chiang Mai. Comes with 10cm or 20cm auger. I recommend the smaller one. Cost about 12,000 baht. I forget the brandname, but it's either Thai or Taiwanese made. Works best in rainy season or with a little jug of water standing by.

Would it not be cheaper to buy a set of post hole callipers and employ a Thai on a day basis to dig the post holes ? Once the holes are dug the machine would become redundant.

Would it not be cheaper to buy a set of post hole callipers and employ a Thai on a day basis to dig the post holes ? Once the holes are dug the machine would become redundant.

It might for many people, yes. In my case I have 7 different parcels totalling 123 rai and it's been very useful. It's true labor is cheap, but sometimes you need to get things done fast, especially in rainy season. Lots of jobs to do that I wait for till rainy season, but labor is scarce and undependable. Also I've used it to plant over 700 trees. Also, as I have the 20 cm auger I can bore 4 holes next too each other, knock out the center and have a footing hole. If you haven't much work I wouldn't recommend one. Additionally I get all holes dug to the depth I wish, because it's not any harder to do so.

Edited by lannarebirth

Well, apart from the store in Chiang Mai (above), these post hole diggers are impossible to find.

I have been to four or five local hardware and construction stores, they have all rung their bulk suppliers in Bkk, I have rung several import - export companies in BKK that deal with this sort of stuff. No luck.

Looking on the web - there is at least twenty large manufacturers of these things in China. I have written to many of them to see whether they have distributors in Thailand.

Thanx for the contact in CM LB.

Cheers,

Soundman.

We bought a post hole digger that fits on the back of the M704 Kubota tractor.

It came with 2 augers. One was 50 cm diam and the other 20 cm diam.

We needed to dig about 70 holes for concrete columns on the house and shed foundations.

We used the large auger to make an initial hole and the workers enlarged them to about 60 cm.

Now we use it to dig decent holes to plant palm trees and for installing corner fence strainer posts.

We can throw in a lot of manure and compost so the palms get good start.

The ground on our block is fairly solid clay (dry season) and it took a worker a nearly half a day to dig one hole with hand tools.

It cost 30,000 Baht new from the Kubota dealer in Uthai Thani.

He got it from a manufacturer somewhere in Bangkok.

We were in a hurry so didn't have time to find the source. It was delivered on time within a few days.

Is this the type your after?

Products | Catalogue | Earth auger

STIHL earth auger

STIHL earth auger -

For a large range of uses

STIHL earth auger can be used for a variety of purposes, from drilling simple holes in the ground to taking soil samples. Holes measuring up to 350 mm in diameter can be drilled using the appropriate bit. The STIHL BT 121 one-man augers is equipped with the QuickStop drill brake. The brake is triggered by the operator´s thigh as soon as the drill jams in the ground and brings it to an immediate standstill.

Modell Displace-

ment

cm³ Power output

kW/bhp Weight

kg1) Spindle speed

1/min Elasto-

Start Quickstop drill brake Starting lock / twist lock Large area of padding

BT 121 30.8 1.3/1.8 9.4 190

1) Without drill

I have used one of those hand held auger, forget manufactor, but do remember it was a man killer in hard, rocky soil. The small statured Thais may have a time handling it. In loose sandy soil it would dig down quickly, but took horsepower to pull out (maybe not horsepower but it was hard work) The people selling fords and john deere may be able to order as both companies provided them, for attachment to 3 point and pto on their tractors. The hand held gasoline powered auger could probably be rigged for the 3 point if you have a good farm shop and some good channel and strap iron source.

Thanx to all who have ventured opinions and advice in this thread. :D

Finally found a company that distributes good quality models of portable post hole diggers.

For those interested:

Sing Siang Huat

Klorng Thom Bangkok

02-2246729-30

They have two models available:

1.8hp (20cm x 1m hole) & 5.4hp (40cm x 1m hole)

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

Thanx to all who have ventured opinions and advice in this thread. :D

Finally found a company that distributes good quality models of portable post hole diggers.

For those interested:

Sing Siang Huat

Klorng Thom Bangkok

02-2246729-30

They have two models available:

1.8hp (20cm x 1m hole) & 5.4hp (40cm x 1m hole)

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

What brand are they mate.?

Soundman, any idea on the cost of the post hole digger you found? Thanks

Not near my office today, however, from memory I was quoted 27500B -40% = 16500B for the 1.8hp model including 1 x 20cm 1m drill.

Extra drill bit was 6000b - 40% = 3600B.

Intend to buy this unit early next week. Then I can report on how good it actually is or isn't. :o

Cheers. :D

Not near my office today, however, from memory I was quoted 27500B -40% = 16500B for the 1.8hp model including 1 x 20cm 1m drill.

Intend to buy this unit early next week. Then I can report on how good it actually is or isn't. :o

Thats good buying mate, that model retails at $1000 in NZ which is about 25,500 Baht.

Oleo-Mac used to sell a top of the range twin deck ride on mower in Oz,it was a good machine.

• 4 weeks later...

Thats good buying mate, that model retails at $1000 in NZ which is about 25,500 Baht.

Oleo-Mac used to sell a top of the range twin deck ride on mower in Oz,it was a good machine.

Anyone have a tractor 3 point linkage mounted unit? I am about to start looking and would appreciate comments

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have a tractor 3 point linkage mounted unit? I am about to start looking and would appreciate comments

Here are some pics... give me a week or so and I should be passing by there and can get you a price.

post-64740-1216599102_thumb.jpg

post-64740-1216599424_thumb.jpg

post-64740-1216599568_thumb.jpg

Edited by JerryPara

Hello Isaan Aussie, from the looks of the one in JerryPara pix's, it looks like the one that the one the Thai made tractor "Nagano" had in the showroom across the street from The Mall Korat. The P/N 044-837-179, fax 044-837-179. On the price list I have it's Bt.25,000. and they listed a backhoe attachment for Bt.189,000.

Back in Feb. at the ag fair at KKU, the other Thai tractor "Thang Tha-le" or Sea Gold(or gold sea??) had an posthole digger like I used in the US. I think they were asking Bt.40,000. They had 8" and 12". They had a one of the tractors(yellow) next door to the Kubota/Iveco dealer, will try to get P/N tomorrow as I pass by on the way in to town.

rice555

Hello Isaan Aussie, from the looks of the one in JerryPara pix's, it looks like the one that the one the Thai made tractor "Nagano" had in the showroom across the street from The Mall Korat. The P/N 044-837-179, fax 044-837-179. On the price list I have it's Bt.25,000. and they listed a backhoe attachment for Bt.189,000.

Back in Feb. at the ag fair at KKU, the other Thai tractor "Thang Tha-le" or Sea Gold(or gold sea??) had an posthole digger like I used in the US. I think they were asking Bt.40,000. They had 8" and 12". They had a one of the tractors(yellow) next door to the Kubota/Iveco dealer, will try to get P/N tomorrow as I pass by on the way in to town.

rice555

Thanks Rice and Jerry,

I have been checking around and the units similiar to those in the photos all seem to be limited to around 500mm drill depth. I am trying to get a deeper digging depth and have seen pictures of a pantograph style frame which allows up to a metre of penetration, yet to be proven. There is a manufacturer in Chonburi apparently and I will try to contact them. As usual plenty of units available overseas but not so easy to find here. Will let you know any results.

Isaanaussie

Hello IA, correction on the tractor name, it's not Iveco, but Iseki.

The name of the Co. is Tong Thai Ltd.(eng. spelling), the P/N is 044 266 888. It is also hooked up with Siam Kubota. The place I saw the Yellow tractor was the R/H of the two places. 1. R/H 2. L/H 3. both.

This unit should dig 1M.

rice555

post-37242-1217135272_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1217135857_thumb.jpg

post-37242-1217136009_thumb.jpg

Hold the phone, I just found the flyer on Talaythong tractor, the post hole digger they sell looks like the attached photo. The phone is 043 721 405. they also have a site: www.talaythong.co.th I don't know if it works or not. Will try to scan later, going out now.

rice555

post-37242-1217227000_thumb.jpg

Hold the phone, I just found the flyer on Talaythong tractor, the post hole digger they sell looks like the attached photo. The phone is 043 721 405. they also have a site: www.talaythong.co.th I don't know if it works or not. Will try to scan later, going out now.

rice555

Rice,

That's the type I'm looking for. The pantograph arms allow the extra depth of hole. Thanks.

Isaanaussie

• 8 months later...

rice555

Cool! That looks like a winner. The web site is currently under construction.

:o

• 2 years later...

I have about 800 post holes to dig, but many rocks about 1 - 2 foot in diameter that will be hit. Yes my fault, I bought fill that was rock, but it is solid !!!

Watching them dig is just brutal, feel really sorry for them !!! I can get a baby mackro for 5000b a day and I think that is much more efficient.

I found this old thread, I see the majority of posters are still very active, just after some feed back. I have used tractor mounted post hole diggers back on planet earth, and it was great, I don't know why they are not common here as labor cost are sky rocketing, many things on planet Thailand are more expensive than on planet earth.

Any feed back on total frocks up and and tribulations in this above post would be great.