Embassy Income Verification Letter/form

For several years I have extended my visa for retirement using $800K in a Thai bank. But this year I might have to use a combination some funds in the bank and income verification form from the US Embassy. Does this form (which I downloaded from somewhere on this forum) have to be typed, or just fill in the blanks by hand? I ask because many years ago on my first extension the Thai Immigration Officer was not too happy with a handwritten letter. But the US Embassy doesn't seem to normally be willing to type out forms for one.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can give me some guidance from their experience in this area using handwritten or typed forms from the US Embassy for income verification.

This will be extended at Bangkok Immigration office.

Edited by mojaco

The US Embassy provides a fill in the blanks income verification letter, you then fill it out/pay fee and submit with passport at window near cashier (at least last year you did) and wait for name to be called. You then sign in front of them under oath.

When I completed mine two weeks ago you went into Citizen Services, turn right about 15 ft inside the office and go to window three.

Fill out the form with your information and pay the fee at what would be window four (but it's really just the cashier in the back corner) and submit the form and receipt at window three. Do not sign it yet. When they call your name you go to window two it seems and she asks you to sign under oath of sorts. That's all there is to it. I did not have to present any proof of income, even though I was prepared to do it.

Show up at Thai immigration with a copy which they had me sign again and they gave me back the original.

~WISteve

It seems we Brits in Pattaya are spoiled by the excellent Barry Kenyon. For an extortionate amount (thank you HMG) he provides the whole document so long as you supply reasonable proof of income. What tees me off is that the value of property cannot be included in wealth assessment. This means that instead of additional investment, which translates into jobs for Thais and opportunities for betterment for family members, money has to be swilling around in the coffers of the banks, controlled by the corrupt pooyais that run the country.

That is a change from last year as you took a queue number and waited for front widow call to obtain form last year. Did you use the appointment procedure?

I had made an appointment online but when I mentioned it, they seemed disinterested.

Originally I took a number, but before mine came up, another expat in the office told me what to do!

So I went to window three, got the documents and instructions where to pay the fee and was reminded not to sign until they called my name. Paid the fee, turned it into window three again and they called me by name about 25-30 minutes later at window two. I was also having pages added to my passport (free of charge) at the same time so that may have delayed it a bit.

~WISteve

You don't need any letter from a Consulate if you are just using money in the coffers of banks. Only if using pension income is Consulate letter required.

But what you do need is a photocopy of every page in your bank passbook plus a letter from the bank confirming the current balance - for which you are charged 250 baht or so. More money for the pooyais. If the banks had an anyway decent computer system they could enter the account number, press a button and out would come the letter. Total cost less than 5 baht.

If the answers were not clear enough, you write in the blanks, in your own handwriting (block printing may be expected, not cursive, except when you sign, of course).

Thank you everyone for some insight on this process. It looks simple enough to do. I will also bring along some additional income proof to Immigration when I go there in case they are in a "mood" that day.

OK, I read that the pension letter must also be translated into Thai. I don't see you guys mentioning that.

No, if the letter is in English, no need to translate into Thai

Right, no translation into Thai needed, for all three years I have gotten extensions based only on pension, with the US embassy letter. I took further proof of the income from the pensions, but after the first year, they did not take my copies, just the embassy letter.