Mobile Phone Modem

ballbreaker

I wish to access a remote host computer using pcAnywhere software in the following configuration if possible.

Host computer is connected to landline via internal modem and pcAnywhere running waiting for a call. My remote computer would be connected to either a Motorola K1 or Samsung E690 using Bluetooth.

Both mobiles work just fine when used for GPRS over Edge connection.

I have tried both with pcAnywhere and get the same results with either. When I tell pcAnywhere to connect a status screens comes up on the PC that says connecting and then dialing. At about the same time I see the phone display light up and say dialing with the proper number displayed. Wtihin a second or two, long before a connection can be made, the phone hangs up with no message and the PC display says no answer and disconnecting.

I have also tried both phones using Hyper Terminal in WinXP with the same indications.

I hope someone can offer a few suggestions on how I can get this setup working.

You need to enable "data calls" with your mobile phone provider. If it is not activated, the call gets disconnected the moment the network hears it is not a regular voice call.In the case of AIS, this can only be done when you have a post paid account.

Basically what happens is when you dial a number, and the mobile phone system "hears" the sound of a modem on the other side, it will switch to modem operation itself.

With GSM data calls, the modem is not actually located in your GSM, but at the network operator! Hence the need to get it activated first.

On a side note, I tried it before, and it simply never worked. Basically only a very limited amount of dial up modems are compatible with the GSM data system.

In my case, the GSM system simply did not recognize the screeching of my modem as a data call, so never switched over to the data system. When I dialed in to for example an internet provider, the switch to data system went perfectly and I got connected.

On another side note, even if you could dial into your modem, I doubt PC anywhere will be usable. Those GSM data calls top out at a paltry 9.6 kbps, and practically, after data correcting you'll be lucky to get 5 kbps. (thats downloading at 0.625 kBps).

I've tried to use PCanywhere over the GPRS/EDGE network, and even with speeds 30 times faster then GSM datacall, it was still hardly usable...

I personally get better results with VNC (or tightVNC) when using slow connections.

Thanks Monty for the answer. I should have know because during one of my tries I think there was a message about activating data service with provider.

I have a prepaid not post paid account so I guess my little experiment is over.

The best solution is, if available of course, to get the cheapest ADSL account at the location of the PC you want to access.

Then use GPRS to access your PC anywhare. This works quite goos for me (only I use VNC)...

My host PC does have a LAN connection to internet at apartment building but I have to log on/off because pay fixed fee for so many hours so cannot leave logged in all the time when gone. I then must contend with the building firewall and dynamic IP. Thats why I decided to try phone modems but I still didn't know if I would be able to dial my apartment extension after building answered.