Internet From Vietnam

JJDinsay

Little curious as to the speed to international links from Vietnam. Went to a friend's office who works for a major international pharmaceutical company and he was clocking 800/600 using tests from PCPitStop (I find them to be a bit more realistic than McAfee but I could be wrong). Figuring that this would be a norm from a major company who probably pays top dollar for their connection, I thought I would try local Internet shops. Ran the same tests and jeez! an everage of 480/220 speed!!! What is going on? Is Thailand that far behind Vietnam? I can understand speeds from Singapore or Hong Kong but I thought Thailand was the main hub on the SEA mainland! Goin to get prices for local ADSL setups here and perform other speed tests just to satisfy my curiousity.

International Internet bandwidth increased to 1,078 Mbps

On August 20th 2004, VDC opened a 155Mbps-capacity Internet bandwidth to SingTel (Singapore), raising the total international Internet bandwidth to 1,078Mbps. This increase aimed at meeting the demand for ADSL network (now in great demand in Vietnam) as well as upgrading IXP network including two 155 Mbps bandwidths from Hanoi to Da Nang, two 155Mbps bandwidths from Da Nang to Ho Chi Minh City and one 155Mbps bandwidth from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City.

As such, VDC's total international Internet bandwidth has reached 1,078Mbps, details as follows:

- One 155Mbps bandwidth to Chinanet- China.

- One 8Mbps bandwidth to KDDI- Japan.

- One 1Mbps bandwidth to Chunghwa Telecom TW- Taiwan.

- Three 155Mbps bandwidths to Singtel- Singapore.

- One 45Mbps bandwidth to Fusion- America.

- Two 45Mbps bandwidths to Reach- Hong Kong.

- One 155Mbps bandwidth to Reach- Hong Kong.

- One 2Mbps bandwidth to Kornet Korea- Korea.

- One 155Mbps bandwidth to NTT- Japan.

- One 2Mbps bandwidth to Malaysia Telecom- Malaysia.

The international Internet bandwidth extension belongs to VDC and VNPT's plan to raise Internet bandwidth in 2004. As planned, by the 4th quarter this year, VDC will continue to raise the total international Internet bandwidth to 1,425Mbps.

As of the first of october international bandwith in Thailand is 2296.87 Mbps

This is approximately double of what vietnam has available, but Thailand has way more internet usage compared to vietnam, certainly after the agressive promotion of adsl lately!

Am a bit curious about prices over there as well!

A friend of mine who lives in the States but went on Sabbatical here for like 4 months said that he was paying about $40 for about 3MBps. Sound like hors doo doo to me cause dude next to me says that they were benig asked about $80 US for unlimited usage per month for a line that I am using now at a net cafe. So far readings hosw about 50kbps - 320kbps. Back in BKK, I was paying about B2400 for 50 hrs and get speeds ranging to about 150 - 320 (PcPitstop.com). I want to get unlimited with True but I'm afraid to fix something that is not broken.