Tiger Airways

earlofwindermere

Tiger Airways dumped the Singapore-Chiang Mai route with their summer schedule this year. I was a bit surprised by this move as I remember reading a blurb a while back the route was so successful that Tiger was planning on expanding from three/four times weekly service to daily service. Apparently not though... :o

Tiger Airways dumped the Singapore-Chiang Mai route with their summer schedule this year. I was a bit surprised by this move as I remember reading a blurb a while back the route was so successful that Tiger was planning on expanding from three/four times weekly service to daily service. Apparently not though... :o

I spoke recently with a Tiger Airways pilot who attributed the decision to discontinue CNX service to the Airport Authority's decision to raise landing fees appreciably. Presumably, this is also the reason Hong Kong Express discontinued their service one week before Christmas last year. So it appears these rent seekers have secured access for the domestic operators - at great inconvenience and expense to those of us commuting from Hong Kong and Singapore. Poor decision, poor timing.

"Airport Authority's decision to raise landing fees appreciably" That's certainly one of the reasons. But another reason is as well the decrease of foreign visitors coming to Chiang Mai.

The demand for flights to Chiang Mai is shrinking. Since Chiang Mai obviously had and having its worst high season and low season for years.

I now live in Chiang Mai and previous to that have visited for the past 20 years.

I can describe the social scene situation here in one word: LESS.

Chiang Mai used to have a wonderful night social scene, unlike Bangkok and Phuket, it was more personal and relaxed, a party and an adventure each night. Many great hang outs and bars, multiple western style nice but inexpensive restaurants, beautiful girls working in the massage parlours, great discos, more snooker clubs, restaurants with great free entertainments (dancers, comedians, singers), the bars were fun and great atmosphere, stage shows most of it uninhibited.

These days what is left of the Chiang Mai social scene is just remnants of how it was originally. The Spotlight that used to be THE PLACE to go, now normally has 2 girls dressed very prim and proper with sad faces sitting outside and is certainly in need of a lick of paint, the sad overpriced small dirty open bars in the Loh Kroh road with lots of plain looking girls touting for customers to buy them drinks, the gorgeous looking girl standing outside a massage parlour and once inside her grandmother takes over, only a choice of a very few half decent restaurants now left in the town, but expensive, the night bazaar has become overpriced and boring.

In the last 5 years there has been practically nothing new on the social scene in Chiang Mai, especially nightlife with the big girl dress code cover-up in the bars, no shows, earlier closing.

I believe that the object of the big close down of what the hierarchies call the undesirable establishments was to attract a more up market clientele, probably focusing on elderly American couples who it was hoped would spend more money such as on joining golf clubs, staying at expensive hotels, touring, dining at exclusive restaurants, buying prestige cards & investment properties and who retire to bed at 9.00pm. Of course this hasn't happened and unless something is done within the next couple of years to revitalise the social scene (which includes more facilities and fun for children, wildlife without cruelty attractions & theme parks) plus improved nightlife in Chiang Mai, this city will cease to be no longer a tourist attraction, as the discontinuing of flights into Chiang Mai by certain airline companies shows that the decline in tourism to Chiang Mai has already begun.

I now live in Chiang Mai and previous to that have visited for the past 20 years.

Chiang Mai used to have a wonderful night social scene, unlike Bangkok and Phuket, it was more personal and relaxed, a party and an adventure each night. Many great hang outs and bars, multiple western style nice but inexpensive restaurants, beautiful girls working in the massage parlours, great discos, more snooker clubs, restaurants with great free entertainments (dancers, comedians, singers), the bars were fun and great atmosphere, stage shows most of it uninhibited.

These days what is left of the Chiang Mai social scene is just remnants of how it was originally. The Spotlight that used to be THE PLACE to go, now normally has 2 girls dressed very prim and proper with sad faces sitting outside and is certainly in need of a lick of paint, the sad overpriced small dirty open bars in the Loh Kroh road with lots of plain looking girls touting for customers to buy them drinks, the gorgeous looking girl standing outside a massage parlour and once inside her grandmother takes over, only a choice of a very few half decent restaurants now left in the town, but expensive, the night bazaar has become overpriced and boring.

In the last 5 years there has been practically nothing new on the social scene in Chiang Mai, especially nightlife with the big girl dress code cover-up in the bars, no shows, earlier closing.

I believe that the object of the big close down of what the hierarchies call the undesirable establishments was to attract a more up market clientele, probably focusing on elderly American couples who it was hoped would spend more money such as on joining golf clubs, staying at expensive hotels, touring, dining at exclusive restaurants, buying prestige cards & investment properties and who retire to bed at 9.00pm. Of course this hasn't happened and unless something is done within the next couple of years to revitalise the social scene (which includes more facilities and fun for children, wildlife without cruelty attractions & theme parks) plus improved nightlife in Chiang Mai, this city will cease to be no longer a tourist attraction, as the discontinuing of flights into Chiang Mai by certain airline companies shows that the decline in tourism to Chiang Mai has already begun.

Very interesting observations

Sounds very, very accurate to me. Actually it's probably still a bit too complimentary. As a DJ who has played in spome very big clubs, in different size cities around the world, Chiang Mai is pretty down the list when it comes to good music, good mixing, first-class clubs and facilities, latest music.

Even the leading Thailand DJs won't come to Chiang Ma. A fairly sad indictment for Thailand's second largest city.

I have lived in Chiang Mai during the time you describe, and, at least when it comes to the pay for play scene, I think that you have a somewhat defective memory.

When I first came here, the bars for farangs were terrible and full of plain Janes with the very occasional beauty. In fact, I would guess that the girls on Loi Kroh nowdays are better looking. They certainly dress better.

There were pretty girls in the Thai brothels, but the fact that they were mostly slaves, made me sick.

Yes, Spotlight has had some good crews, but they have always been up and down, and mostly down over the years, however, as bad as its been, the last 2 years they have still had better looking girls than in 1990.

It sounds to me like you are confused about how exciting everything seemed when you first got here and what was really going on.

By the way, restaurants -other than Thai - now are 100 times better than they were in 1990. :o

The cops have also cleared the transvestites away who used to pollute the Thapae Gate area after dark. All in all I think things are better. Anyone notice the large increase in Chinese tourists ?

The cops have also cleared the transvestites away who used to pollute the Thapae Gate area after dark. All in all I think things are better. Anyone notice the large increase in Chinese tourists ?

So the General's had to hangup the dress? :o

So the General's had to hangup the dress? :D

What General are you referring to.. Chavalit ?

Are you somehow privy to the transvestite social scene :o

The cops have also cleared the transvestites away who used to pollute the Thapae Gate area after dark.

The Thapae Gate "park" area is observed by CCTV cameras all night now. There are real girls sitting in small groups on both sides of the street on Moon Muang for about 1/2 a block, or so.

The cops have also cleared the transvestites away who used to pollute the Thapae Gate area after dark.

The Thapae Gate "park" area is observed by CCTV cameras all night now. There are real girls sitting in small groups on both sides of the street on Moon Muang for about 1/2 a block, or so.

I guess we'll have to take your word for that. Didn't you just contribute to a thread about Thai Sausage ? :o

Where is that ?

Fiscalist has 122 posts so he's a newbie but also a sponsor. He has no reason to troll here. Maybe you are refering to me. What are the rules here about attacking other members because they don't post much ?

UG my apologies, looking back I see my light hearted joke about your nightly manouvers must have touched a nerve. How was I to know ?

However accusing other posters of being a Troll because your nose is out of joint is very lame.

Mods forget my report.

So the General's had to hangup the dress? :D

What General are you referring to.. Chavalit ?

Are you somehow privy to the transvestite social scene :o

I may have unknowingly had a beer or two with someone who's flirted on the fringes. :D