A Suggestion

GuestHouse

Rather than simply closing/removing threads or indeed banning members (so that they can go get a new handle) How about a more subtle approach.

We all have beneath our 'Handles' a tally of how many posts we have made since joining.

Adding a tally of deleted posts would highlight to all when a Poster is repeatedly being censored - thereby removing their 'Status' as commentators and advisors.

Who's going to pay attention to posters that have dozens or more of deleted posts?!

Seriously though Guesthouse, I think your suggestion has some merit. I often glance at the stats under the Avatar to see how many posts someone has ( a rough guide to that persons experience / credibility), if the moderators were to include a statistic that indicated how often that person had trolled/flamed etc.. it would, in my view be a useful indicator as to their character.

But some members have been around for a long time. But maybe not posted too much or very often.

Good point. There could be people who are new to this board, but are experienced posters on other boards. A reverse example, I've been on this board for a little over 3 years, and have almost 5,000 posts. Yet on another board that I joined at almost the same time, I only have a couple hundred posts. Some on that other board may look at my post count (and not notice the "join date") and assume that I must be a newbie.

There are a number of posters here that joined years ago, and have less than 100 posts. Whenever I'm about to respond to a post, I check the posters post count and "join" date as well, as an indication of how experienced they may be on this board, though there are some who have lurked for long periods before actually registering and posting for the first time.

Also, a tally of deleted posts may not tell the whole story. For instance, quite a while ago I had a post deleted on the basis that the lyrics of the song contained therein were a little too "raunchy" for the general forum. Should that deleted post count against my "credibility" factor (not that I assume to have any credibility to begin with :o ) ?

What if you quote a troll post and add a response that more or less tells the troll that he/she is full of fecal matter. Then a Mod deletes the post as it contains the quote from the troll post (it happens). Should that count against you ?

I think the tally idea would be quite hard to manage, and create a lot of headaches for the Mod/Admin crew, especially when posters complain when they think a deleted post shouldn't count against their tally.

Would be nice though if there were a system to keep track of various flamers/trolls (other than continuous checking of IP addresses, which only works with the really dumb ones).

That's my 25 satangs for the day !

It sounds like a nightmare, unless the system could do it automatically. Deletions occur for lots of reasons. One anti-USA poster will say something against the USA, and 8 posters will throw the discussion totally off topic, start flaming one another, etc. Then we may have to delete all 9 of the posts. I once had to delete about 38 posts in a single topic because the posters adamantly and damnedly refused to heed all the warnings to stop commenting on the flames.

The effort to delete a post to the trash, punish the offender, log it in all the right places, can take ten keystrokes that require the screen to reset. My screen takes almost a minute to reset each time. Pardon me if that is off topic here, but moderating can consume an hour of a mod's time on a single divisive issue.

Although I think the OP is a good one, I think it would be an administrative nightmare and could also lead to mis-leading information, as agreed above an experienced member may well not post extravagantly, but may well have something valid to say, conversely a post count measured in 000's can mean little too, go look at the games and jokes threads :o

Also black marks could be issued when there is no directly related fault to the poster, for instance I remember a rather sticky situation in Visas for other countries a year or so ago and there was a considerable flame war going on between two posters.

Many posts were edited and deleted and because others had commented on the thread, these also had to be deleted for continuity purposes and so would lead to black marks through, 'guilt by association'.

Moss

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really understand the way posts are picked for deletion or its consequence to the post count (which does not really matter so much to me). But I can say to some trollers, it may be funny or just a joke, but if you happen to be a victim (taking a post seriously when it is not), it is not funny at all. :-(

But all in a day's work. Pretty soon, you learn... But I still won't troll... :o

Although I think the OP is a good one, I think it would be an administrative nightmare and could also lead to mis-leading information, as agreed above an experienced member may well not post extravagantly, but may well have something valid to say, conversely a post count measured in 000's can mean little too, go look at the games and jokes threads :o

Also black marks could be issued when there is no directly related fault to the poster, for instance I remember a rather sticky situation in Visas for other countries a year or so ago and there was a considerable flame war going on between two posters.

Many posts were edited and deleted and because others had commented on the thread, these also had to be deleted for continuity purposes and so would lead to black marks through, 'guilt by association'.

Moss

yep good fair reply, i had a sending off sometime ago and when i have met other members of the thaivisa comunity it seems that when one is sent to the coolbox yo dont seem to have a right to reply or debate your reasons/views or for someone else from another area/ section to look at the case as you can in outside socity, this left me with quite bad feelings for that person, and i belive this is the case with others.

i think the orig post is a good idea and reading replys would seem hard to make it work, how about a sinbin thread where naughty boys/girls all the bad bits go in there, then people can see exactly what was said etc and make there own minds up or re card list where by you can see who's gotta chill out, or would that defeat the object?

chris

It shouldn't be too difficult - every post has two buttons

and [Reply] below them. I would assume (being a non-Mod) that there is also a [Delete] button too for Mods - if there isn't, there should be. So, a fouth Mod button along the lines of [Delete and Report] (DaR?). This would give the Mod the ability to place the black mark against the prep but not the bystanders.

I would also suggest a % rather than a value. So if someone posted 20 posts and has had 5 DaR's, then they get a 25% A**hole grading. If someone like Kerryd gets a DaR against his 5k+ posts, then it will make no difference 0.02% (1 or two DP only though)

..., how about a sinbin thread where naughty boys/girls all the bad bits go in there, then people can see exactly what was said etc and make there own minds up or re card list where by you can see who's gotta chill out, or would that defeat the object?

chris

Danger is some of these threads are emoved because of legal reasons. I once had one of mine deleted many many moons ago because I made reference to an old story about a relative to HM The King - I agreed with the reason for the removal (it was not a derogatory story, but one Thais like to keep in the past!!!). Only flames would be evident I guess.

I fail to see where members being privvy to any other members deleted post count is of any consequence.

Many posts are deleted immediately after posting at the posters request,the reasons may be wrong forum ,inadvertantly posting mis-information or even bad grammar.

Post counts also mean nothing as some with large numbers got there with 2 or 3 word replies or emoticoms. Whereas some long time members with relatively low numbers may post quality not quantity.

Mods and Admin have instant access to members past suspensions and warnings and this is used when "passing sentence", There is no "Court of Appeal" as such ,but Mods are not God,s and have been known to misinterpret a post or take it out of context.

Any member, if they feel a suspension is harsh treatment has the right to PM a different Mod with an explanation of the events for a "second opinion".

If a strong case is put forward it may be discussed at Mod level and reversals can happen.

A sure way not to gain brownie points is to PM a Mod with profanity or to question his/her parentage.

Every member should be aware of the ThaiVisa posting rules and ignorance is no excuse.

All well and good Ozzy, but I think you have missed the point the Op was making. As Mod YOU can see whether the poster is a troll/Troublemaker/Flamer/whatever. As other non-gods we do not have this information. Some newbies come in and withing a few dozen posts have a good percentage deleted or edited. It would be nice for us who do folow the rules to know whether a poster is listing a true thread, or is just trying to be incendiary. A troll meter gives a good guide to this. On your side, as a Mod, the potemtial troller/flamer will be less inclined as they know it will afect this reading and will both draw their attention to posting Mods and may well be ignored by the general populous.

Now about your parentage... :o

All well and good Ozzy, but I think you have missed the point the Op was making. As Mod YOU can see whether the poster is a troll/Troublemaker/Flamer/whatever. As other non-gods we do not have this information. Some newbies come in and withing a few dozen posts have a good percentage deleted or edited. It would be nice for us who do folow the rules to know whether a poster is listing a true thread, or is just trying to be incendiary. A troll meter gives a good guide to this. On your side, as a Mod, the potemtial troller/flamer will be less inclined as they know it will afect this reading and will both draw their attention to posting Mods and may well be ignored by the general populous.

Now about your parentage... :o

I think you under estimate the community spirit of the bulk of TV members,,A great many trolls and flames are bought to our attention through use of the report function button very early in their existence,

I dont think its a good idea to lay out a members history as many may start out a bit shaky but go on to be good contributors to the forum, and a lot of the credit is due to the "education" they receive from fellow members.

The out and out troublemakers are soon shown the door so they are of no consequence.

As all good Aussies ,I come from good convict stock. :D

Rather than simply closing/removing threads or indeed banning members (so that they can go get a new handle) How about a more subtle approach.

We all have beneath our 'Handles' a tally of how many posts we have made since joining.

Adding a tally of deleted posts would highlight to all when a Poster is repeatedly being censored - thereby removing their 'Status' as commentators and advisors.

Who's going to pay attention to posters that have dozens or more of deleted posts?!

Of course a good percentage of deleted posts are simply :o posts and not malicious .

When a thread wanders to far off track a Mod will generally post a public "warning" ,if this is not heeded then the off topic posts may be deleted.

To keep a thread flowing ,a semblance of order is needed otherwise many would end up like "dogs dinners"

Anonymity is the backbone of forums and I am sure that even some of the posters to this particular thread would not like their records to be on public display. :D

Guest Reimar

I don't think anyone like to get his/her "secrets" published or isn't it? It could even a question of discrimination to do that.

I, and I believe no one would like that.

As explained in an other post before, everyone who want to know "where" he is, can easy ask a Mod, Admin or Support for that info without the need t go public.

Cheers.