Buying A Used Moto

robster125

I am in the market to buy a used moto, something inexpensive yet reliable... I have heard there are some places around town to find a good used bike (I have heard the Honda dreams are most common, and pretty cheap)

If you know of a good place to start looking (Im looking for something anywhere from 10-15,ooo Baht) please let me know!

Also, if you have a bike you're trying to sell, or know someone that has one... Id love to check it out!

Thanks!

I am in the market to buy a used moto, something inexpensive yet reliable... I have heard there are some places around town to find a good used bike (I have heard the Honda dreams are most common, and pretty cheap)

If you know of a good place to start looking (Im looking for something anywhere from 10-15,ooo Baht) please let me know!

Also, if you have a bike you're trying to sell, or know someone that has one... Id love to check it out!

Thanks!

Ruam Chok Market on Sunday Afternoon has hundreds of used bikes for sale, most of them with the price attached so You should pay the same price a locals

Thanks!

A motorbike reseller told me that when buying a used bike then it can be registered for the first year or two but bikes that are not so new will have difficulty re registering. The vendor was making the case that its better to buy a nearly new late model bike because they are easier to register down the road...Does anyone have any experience with this?

A motorbike reseller told me that when buying a used bike then it can be registered for the first year or two but bikes that are not so new will have difficulty re registering.

Sounds like pure BS to me.

My bike is 15 years old, 200 thousand kms on the clock & never a problem renewing the licence. Take it down to the motorbike rego office, get it inspected, pay the insurance & get your rego sticker. Same same every year.

Thanks!

Ruam Chok Market on Sunday Afternoon has hundreds of used bikes for sale, most of them with the price attached so You should pay the same price a locals

It is an excellent spot!

Behind the 7-11, you'll see what appears to be undercover parking. Tons, wells lots anyway.. of motorbikes and cars. Repo's...smokin' deals on all of 'em. Some are almost if not brandy new.

Thanks!

for those familiar with buying a bike at Ruam Chok then are there any bits of advice to offer.

I would be interested to know what kind of inspection can be done. Can the bike be test driven? or at least started? Is there any bargaining on the list price? If a buyer decides to buy then do you do the deal right then and take delivery? How does one know they are getting proper paper work for registration?

Any tips would be appreciated

Thanks!

for those familiar with buying a bike at Ruam Chok then are there any bits of advice to offer.

I would be interested to know what kind of inspection can be done. Can the bike be test driven? or at least started? Is there any bargaining on the list price? If a buyer decides to buy then do you do the deal right then and take delivery? How does one know they are getting proper paper work for registration?

Any tips would be appreciated

I got one there he started it up an i drove it around the market a bit. Didn't get up enough speed to find out it wouldn't go over 60ks though and the difference between 3rd an 4th was non existant. It was the cheapest one going and I got him down by almost a thousand bht, probbably coz he knew it was a piece o sh#t. 5k of a sazuki crystal. Fan signed for it and drove away then an there. Probably payed too much? but good enough to plod about town on. Plenty of dreams and waves that looked in good nick for between 9 an 15k. If looking for anything other than a skooter i'd say try a dealer and get it looked at independantly +propper test drive

where abouts is this market? directions on how to get there?

It is in Sansai Noi in the North East of the City. There is a Rimping Supermarket at the Junction and the market is behind the 7-11 in the next block heading towards Mae Jo . A Taxi or Tuk-Tuk will take you there from town centre for approx 200 Bht.

Thanks will check out the market as well... for me registering it is a non issue. I want it to plod around in my village... as its really self contained but spread out a bit... kad Farang in the front and Ban Tarn Dong in the back. If anyone has a bike near or around this area .. that is interested in selling.. even one of those mini scooters that some call a Bowpa?? Cheap is what is needed and it doesn't matter if its not main road worthy as it wont be taken out of the village.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Did a search and this thread seems closest to my question:

1. Do I need a license to buy a used moto?

I have my own country's driving license (car), but none for bikes.

Also, I heard from a local that used bikes can be bought for just 4-5k baht. Does that sound right?

Thanks all.