Gasoline Guzzling Monster

Hi.I own a toyota yaris automatic which I have used now for about 40.000 km.What surprises me is that such a small car can use so much gasoline.I drive it mostly in pattaya at moderate speeds and it uses between 10 and 11 liters per 100 km.When I take it on long distances I can get it down to about 8 liter per 100 km but I think this is still a lot.It uses this amount of fuel since the first day and there are no smells or leakings.Have complained with toyota a few times already but they say nothing wrong with the car.However all they do is driving it around the parking lot.So I would like to hear from other yaris owners if they have the same experience or should I consider that something is wrong with my car

Hope this helps

blog.tinou.com/2008-toyota-yaris-fuel-ec.html

2008 Toyota Yaris Fuel Economy (MPG) LogThis page will track the fuel economy (miles per gallon) I get in my 2008 Toyota Yaris S Liftback automatic. The 2008 EPA-estimated mileage for the Yaris automatic is 29 mpg city and 35 mpg highway.

I mainly use the Yaris for my 44 miles (roundtrip) daily commute from San Francisco to Foster City. Down the 101 South I drive 65-80 mph, depending on traffic/mood. Not too much bumper to bumper traffic. In the city, I mainly use the Yaris to go to the grocery store. City/highway, I'm about 10-15% city base on actual miles, i.e., in a typical week, 10-15% of total miles driven is in the city. I do make several very short (less than a mile) trips each week.

Tank Miles Per Gallon Notes

1st fill-up 34 1st fill-up after full tank from dealer

2nd fill-up 36 pretty windy conditions

3d fill-up (4/26/08) 34.4 more than average city driving with sister and friend

inflated tires to ~42 PSI on 3rd fill-up

4th fill-up 35.3 265.5 miles on 7.529 gallons

5th fill-up 34.1 341 miles on 9.99 gallons

more city driving than normal

6th fill-up 36.9 160.4 miles on 4.34 gallons

7th fill-up 35.5 305 miles on 8.58 gallons

The use of arconditioning is a huge fuel consumer, can be up to 1/3 of the total consumption.

I don't believe so. Please supply a link! Actually running the aircond is only worth 10th's of 1 HP, so don;t see how it can be using so much. Oncwe I ran my car on a tank, mostly without air, and found no noticeable difference in consumption. Perhaps you shouldn't run the air when the engine is cold. That might help a bit.

Tat yaris consumption is pretty bad, esp. for 1 110 hp motor. Hy civic has 155hp and gets the same or better consumption, running it around bkk and on longer trips. Though below 2200 rpm it only runs on one intake valve, so that saves some fuel. Perhaps toyota don't use that mechanism.

The traffic in Pattaya is mostly stop and go. Not the best thing for low gas consumption. Back home I drove a Renaut Clio 1.6 auto witch is similiar to your car. In Citytraffic the car used around the same as your Car, on the highway's it dropped to around 7 to 7.5 lt per 100 km. But the aircon was mostly not used, so the consumption of your car sounds ok to me.

the yaris in thailand was introduced with the biggest engine option, a 1500cc I believe. There are many other engines for it in other countries. The 1500cc was made for making the car powerful and for people who didn't look at mileage.

different for the honda jazz, a similar size car, you have a choice in engine here: the idsi (or how is it called) and the vtec engine. The first one is a two-valve/cylinder and the latter a 4 valve version. The idsi version has a lot of better mileage. I experienced it firsthand on a trip from bkk to chiangmai, driving 100km/h were the car ran 20.9km/ltr!!! It would do only do 14km in city driving though.

You might consider doing homework before buying a car. Never buy a brand new model and definitely never believe the claims made by the factories! The internet is full of user experience of all that you can buy.

The use of arconditioning is a huge fuel consumer, can be up to 1/3 of the total consumption.

I don't believe so. Please supply a link! Actually running the aircond is only worth 10th's of 1 HP, so don;t see how it can be using so much. Oncwe I ran my car on a tank, mostly without air, and found no noticeable difference in consumption. Perhaps you shouldn't run the air when the engine is cold. That might help a bit.

that's incorrect information. it depends what size of compressor the a/c unit has. e.g. an 18,000 btu compressor uses up to 3 HP under full load.

that's incorrect information. it depends what size of compressor the a/c unit has. e.g. an 18,000 btu compressor uses up to 3 HP under full load.

Well, drive up hil and switch the AC of, you can feel the car responding to " more" power to the drivetrain now. And it is absolutely more than just 3hp.

Just as it is a well known fact that automatic cars use more fuel, it is also a fact that a car AC uses a lot of fuel too.

Did a search, picked the first link and they talk about 20% extra fuel consumption.

http://www.r744.com/article.view.php?Id=497

I am sure there are others which will give a higher percentage. A crappy adjusted engine will make it even worse.

AC and fuel consumption, is underestimated, that is the point i am trying to make here.

Fuel consumption figures in the catalogue are always given without electric, or AC load. Guess why??

the yaris in thailand was introduced with the biggest engine option, a 1500cc I believe. There are many other engines for it in other countries. The 1500cc was made for making the car powerful and for people who didn't look at mileage.

different for the honda jazz, a similar size car, you have a choice in engine here: the idsi (or how is it called) and the vtec engine. The first one is a two-valve/cylinder and the latter a 4 valve version. The idsi version has a lot of better mileage. I experienced it firsthand on a trip from bkk to chiangmai, driving 100km/h were the car ran 20.9km/ltr!!! It would do only do 14km in city driving though.

You might consider doing homework before buying a car. Never buy a brand new model and definitely never believe the claims made by the factories! The internet is full of user experience of all that you can buy.

My Honda City VTEC manual has done nearly 70k now and gives me 18km per litre local running and 23-25 km per litre on long trips . On most roads the Honda has the power to only have to come out of 5th gear for overtaking and I dont use air-con.

^^ I've got a Jazz Vtec manual. its done 40k kms and i'm now getting around 12 - 14 km/litre mostly driving around Phuket, which has quite a few hills and mostly stop and go traffic. I usually have the aircon on the lowest setting which is cool enough. Without using aircon i guess i could get close to Ozzydom's figures :o

Thanks all for your reply's please keep them comming.What I don't understand is that previous to my yaris I had a toyota vios which I thought has the same engine.However while the vios is bigger then the yaris it would use in the same circumstances only 8 liters per 100 km and on long distance it could get to 6.5 liter per 100 km.So where is the logic?Smaller car with same engine uses more gasoline.

Hope this helps

2008 Toyota Yaris Fuel Economy (MPG) LogThis page will track the fuel economy (miles per gallon) I get in my 2008 Toyota Yaris S Liftback automatic. The 2008 EPA-estimated mileage for the Yaris automatic is 29 mpg city and 35 mpg highway.

I mainly use the Yaris for my 44 miles (roundtrip) daily commute from San Francisco to Foster City. Down the 101 South I drive 65-80 mph, depending on traffic/mood. Not too much bumper to bumper traffic. In the city, I mainly use the Yaris to go to the grocery store. City/highway, I'm about 10-15% city base on actual miles, i.e., in a typical week, 10-15% of total miles driven is in the city. I do make several very short (less than a mile) trips each week.

Thanks for your reply bisto.What you are writing is what I would expect from a car with these specifications however I can only dream about those figures.My usage is close to double of that.

Well, drive up hil and switch the AC of, you can feel the car responding to " more" power to the drivetrain now. And it is absolutely more than just 3hp.

Just as it is a well known fact that automatic cars use more fuel, it is also a fact that a car AC uses a lot of fuel too.

Did a search, picked the first link and they talk about 20% extra fuel consumption.

http://www.r744.com/article.view.php?Id=497

I am sure there are others which will give a higher percentage. A crappy adjusted engine will make it even worse.

AC and fuel consumption, is underestimated, that is the point i am trying to make here.

Fuel consumption figures in the catalogue are always given without electric, or AC load. Guess why??

Something doesn't add up here. Either a compressor is using a LOT more than 3HP as a loss of 3HP won't anywhere equate with 20% increase in consumption. I doubt anyone would detect an increae/loss of 3 HP with their butt dyno. It might be more noticeable in a smaller engined car like a 1.5, than mine, 2.0, though. At any rate, acceleration in mine is about the same whether using the air or not, though I haven't pushed it up steep hils under those conditions. Perhpas this coling cool season I'll test it properly. Can't bear the thought of driving without the air on in this season.

I just checked my Ford Focus fuel economy. According to the car computer, the average speed was 35 KPH. That tank of fuel was used to go to the market and only a few short trips as the average speed shows. The fill up showed it got 10.2 kilometers per liter. That's pretty pathetic and an LPG conversion is looking very likely.

Gary,

I also have a ford (ranger). Check it for yourself, there is not a ford model that has good economy. I assume ford and oil are big friends... It is my last ford ever, that ranger.

Gary,

I also have a ford (ranger). Check it for yourself, there is not a ford model that has good economy. I assume ford and oil are big friends... It is my last ford ever, that ranger.

The older Ford Rangers had a well deserved reputation for guzzling Diesel but the new generation common rail diesels are rated second to only Isuzu as far as economy. I assume that yours is an older model?

yep, it is. one of the first (2000). But let us see, what the "common rail" has in common with economy driving. Going from 1:10 to 1:12 or 13?? Please owners, give us the data.

My point is that ford never will, or the last in block, to make a production model with leading edge economy.

Actually i don't like this small plastic cars and i still drive a 3liter Nissan Cedric, but my wife bought a new Vios, so i drove the car for a week to see how is it and i got the follow results:

Exactly 10 liter per 100km in Pattaya Traffic

6 to 7 liter (for long distance trips like Pattaya - Bangkok) per 100 km.

Because the car was new and i don't really have confidence about safety in this new cars, i drove quiet and relaxed. I't mean i din't use kick down very much and didn't push the pedal to the floor very often.

The Gasoline consumtion depends very much on the traffic. If you drive only in Pattaya (Stop and Go, with AC and every 50 Meter a readlight, waiting 5 minutes to go another 50 Meters), your car will use at least 30% to 40% more gasoline than on long trips. Think: I can drive at 5 a clock after noon from Jomtien to Banglamung and back. It's take a hour to make this 20 km trip. But i can drive at midday from Banglamung to Chonburi and it takes only 40 minutes to make this 60 km trip. Gasoline consumption gonna be almost the same. If you select a time when is not much traffic you'll be surprised huw much you can save. This is very important. So personally i don't think there is anything wrong with your yaris (i think Yaris and Vios have the same engine). It would build black smoke at exhoust if any sensors get faulty. If you don't smell any gasoline and don't see any black smoke, there is nothing wrong, exept if somebody steals your gasoline at midnight.

I was given a Yaris as a company car to use a couple of years back, to drive in mainly stop/go city traffic with lots of hills. I agree with the OP - I thought it was pitifully underpowered and gutless, and it used pretty much the same amount of petrol as my own car at the time - a Holden Commodore with a V6 in it.

Edited by Merlin

I just checked my Ford Focus fuel economy. According to the car computer, the average speed was 35 KPH. That tank of fuel was used to go to the market and only a few short trips as the average speed shows. The fill up showed it got 10.2 kilometers per liter. That's pretty pathetic and an LPG conversion is looking very likely.

The only problem with LPG conversions ( assuming it has not been done by a cowboy ) is that up to recently it has usually had a negative effect on the cars resale value. Check out the second hand car sites for confirmation. However, if the price of fuel keeps increasing this will probably change.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply bisto.What you are writing is what I would expect from a car with these specifications however I can only dream about those figures.My usage is close to double of that.

First of all, I must say I was a bit surprised when I first read this thread. I was of the (possibly misguided) opinion that the Yaris did pretty well on gasoline. my sis-in-law has one, and every time my wife switches cars with her, she envies the extra miles per gallon compared to her 2001 CR-V. She was of the notion(i know she never filled up to the top, so there's a big margin of error) it did upto 18km/l on her 30km (does in 30-50 mins) daily commuting. Now I need to check with the owner herself again.

Actually i don't like this small plastic cars and i still drive a 3liter Nissan Cedric, but my wife bought a new Vios, so i drove the car for a week to see how is it and i got the follow results:

Exactly 10 liter per 100km in Pattaya Traffic

6 to 7 liter (for long distance trips like Pattaya - Bangkok) per 100 km.

Now there IS quite a bit of a discrepancy between all these consumption rates....

Could have many reasons, one of which could be the driver! Specially when it comes to driving in traffic, you tend to burn more petrol if the traffic gets the better of your nerves you know.

and the a/c makes a lot more difference in traffic as you would expect, not only coz the additional tug on the engine is more when you are idling (this is just one of my theories,

with no statistical proof..would be glad to know if anyone thinks different), but also coz you consume that extra gasoline per minute basis rather than per mile.

One last point (I know some ppl who wouldn't like to hear this one!): I wouldn't have great expectations on Jap cars built in Thailand to start with. I know for a fact that at least some of the manufacturers use lower grade parts on Thai cars. I also have experienced such cars in Thailand giving trouble (not fatal in my case) whilst on their 2nd -3rd year of service, which is literally unheard of in Japan. Some of you may have heard of the CR-V that started giving trouble within the first week, and ended up being hammered down by the furious owner who was disgusted with Honda's irresponsible response to the problem, a couple of years back. Then there was the story of a brand new Toyota (Vios?) firing itself up in its own garage. Had this happened in Japan, the Honda/Toyota stocks would go on a nose dive the next morning, but this is Thailand: "Oh, they said it was a very rare malfunction. My car works fine. After all, they're made to Jap standards, and the Japs know best about cars". Alas, my friend, they know best how to make the buck. So beware!

I do not know of the quality of Jap cars sold in the US, but my best bet is that one wouldn't dare jeopardise such a big market as easily. This MAY be one reason behind the better figures from San Fransisco.

"I know for a fact that at least some of the manufacturers use lower grade parts on Thai cars." (groovyc)

Can you ask then to buy a car made in Japan?

BTW, my Acura (made in Canada) has had one light bulb that I had to replace and that's it ... in 10 years/100 km! You win some; you lose some! :o

Edited by rethaired