- Whitening Products -

bollox

I know scores of thai lasses who spend an absolute fortune on such products.

Yes it's a stupid question since you farangs are already light skinned (too pale I should say), but I'm just curious to know how many of you have been/are victims of these rip-off products 'cos I've got female cousins who use whitening stuff on a regular basis despite having a bloody light skin :o

To be honest, I don't give a stuff about a girl's complextion as long as she looks fit :D

I know scores of thai lasses who spend an absolute fortune on such products. 

Yes it's a stupid question since you farangs are already light skinned (too pale I should say), but I'm just curious to know how many of you have been/are victims of these rip-off products 'cos I've got female cousins who use whitening stuff on a regular basis despite having a bloody light skin  :o

To be honest, I don't give a stuff about a girl's complextion as long as she looks fit  :D

Does it work for the dark skinned Thai Girls?? or is it a complete and utter rip off?

IamMaic..........Why am I not surprised that you are making comments in cosmetics and etc........ :D

I dont think the farang women use them.........I know its a hit in Thailand, Singapore, Japan, China and Korea!!! :o

Whether it works or not.........we will have to wait for someone who actually uses it to comment...........ladies......... :D

I'm white, why would I use it?

According to the girl that works here she says she has tried them and they didn't do a thing for her. She is light-skinned but she says she didn't notice any difference at all.

From a CNN article:

There are several types of skin whiteners. Those that contain hydroquinone, which are regulated as pharmaceuticals in Hong Kong and need to be registered before being sold to consumers.

They suppress melanin production but because long-term use can lead to patchy skin it is not recommended that people use it for over a year. It can cause mild reactions such as burning sensation or skin reddening.

Other whiteners are plant-based AHA or Fruit acid face creams (such as glycolic, lactic, tartaric, malic, kojic and citric acid). They claim to lighten the complexion by peeling off dead skin cells, thus boosting moisture, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles, unblocking pores and improving skin tone and texture.

Hong Kong's Cosmetic Ingredient Panel has concluded that AHA's are safe in cosmetic products at a certain level of concentration (10 percent or less), PH value (3.5 or higher) and if they have sunscreen or if they prescribe the use of sun protection.

So, basically, any whitening that may occur with the over the counter preparations is completely temporary.

Quote -

Skin color is a function of the size, number and distribution of melanosomes. The differences in racial skin pigment depend upon the quantity of melanin produced and upon the distribution and desposition of melanosomes throughout the epidermis. Tyrosinase is the rate-limiting enzyme for melanin synthesis, and defects in the enzyme's activity can lead to albinism in humans. Melanocytes derived from dark skin have up to 10 times more activity and produce up to 10 times more melanin than melanocytes in fair skin. In dark skin, melanin persists within the horny layer and leaves the skin by natural desquamation. In fair skin, the pigment is degraded in the granular layer, probably by the skin's own enzyrnatic process, this means that the stratum corneum of white skin does not contain any melanin.

- Unquote

Basically, the above states that the variations in skin color is the skin's natural way of adapting to it's environment. The amount of melanin (the skin's pigmenting agent) in the body determines the color of the skin. In people from hot climates, melanin is continuously produced giving the skin a darker appearance. In 'white' skin types, melanin is only produced when the skin is exposed to the sun.

Whitening agents are to blocks the melanin production process and to increase the formation of new skin cells. Also they normally replenich the skin cells so that it will have a smoother appearance.

Using whitening products can help to make the skin look lighter and more healthy. This is not a permanent effect and can only be achieved when using the products on a regular basis.

The problem is the whitening products which contain so called 'bleaching' agents, those are damaging to the skin and the body.

One of the most effective whitening agent at present is Licorice. Concentration is often only 0.1 % of the whitening product. The cost of 'raw' Licorice is around THB 700.000,00 per Kg.

Prices of whitening products are high. This is just caused by the immense marketing drive by the well known brands. Better and cheaper products are on the market but it is often difficult to know the quality.

My interest in this subject is because of the fact that I own a Spa and Massage in Bangkok and have a local lab working on new products (and improving their existing line). I am offering products myself, still without brand name but slowly working on that. My idea is to sell at fair prices and therefor I am under cutting the known brands by a huge margin.

please feel free if any of you like to receive more info...

I'm just curious to know how many of you have been/are victims of these rip-off products 'cos I've got female cousins who use whitening stuff on a regular basis despite having a bloody light skin :D

Celebs, such as Sophie Ellis-Bextor and Sadie Frost, are well known for using sk-ll’s :o:D (and other brand’s) whitening products to achieve that English Rose complexion. Most western mags are anti tanning and when most celebs have opted for the pastey white look it’s no wonder the hoards follow. Nicole Kidman covers herself from head to toe as she strolls along Sydney’s beaches, but then this is why she can successfully wear a pale, pink, chiffon, Channel couture dress, along the red carpet and look amazing. This is the same reason she is now promoting Channel’s No 5 perfume (personally am an Allure girl :D). I’m not surprised that whitening products have grown in popularity, esp when we’re shown what the sun’s done to women we’re suppose to (or once were) idolise(d), such as Brigitte Bardot. :D

... I don't give a stuff about a girl's complextion ...

Couldn't agree more. I remember picking up a magazine in the plane to Thailand and seeing page after page of adverts for this stuff. I don't know how they get away with it. I don't even care if it does work - the point is, they are making money of girls' fear of not being "attractive". It's rubbish, I've told many girls that it does not matter what colour their skin is, but they don't believe me because they've been brainwashed by all the adverts.

I hate these "cosmetic" companies. It is such a waste of human effort.

I'm not just a farang, but a very pale farang. I not only use the whitening products when in Thailand, I buy more to bring home to the US with me. They do work. I use them to reduce the "tanning" (freckling, actually) I get on my arms and neck on the occasions I forget to apply sunscreen before I go outside, or don't have the chance to reapply as needed. I don't make enough melanin to ever get a real tan, but I get sort of patchy looking with irregular areas of freckles. I look better without that. So I do my best to avoid it, and repair it. I have used a simple whitening body lotion from Watson's that worked fine, and am now using that new L'oreal Perfect White.

They don't sell any of these products in the US. It has to do with the US drug laws. If any product claims to penetrate the skin, it has to be evaluated as a drug with clinical trials and all that for the FDA. About 7 years worth of clinical trials before being able to market a drug. Better to not claim that it does anything under the surface of the skin!

...I use them to reduce the "tanning" (freckling, actually) I get on my arms and neck ....

Pity :D I like freckles :D

They don't sell any of these products in the US. It has to do with the US drug laws. If any product claims to penetrate the skin, it has to be evaluated as a drug with clinical trials and all that for the FDA. About 7 years worth of clinical trials before being able to market a drug.

Good idea - who knows what side-effects the daily use of these chemicals will have :o:D

Better to not claim that it does anything under the surface of the skin!

... and hope you're not going to get sued by thousands of deformed girls after a few years... :D

Pity  :D I like freckles :D

So do I, when they are well-mannered freckles; evenly distributed and about an eighth of an inch across or less. I get closely spaced freckles over one fourth of an inch across, and nearby no freckles at all. I think they are the result of the sun poisoning rash I usually get. :D

... and hope you're not going to get sued by thousands of deformed girls  after a few years...  :o

Not likely. Women have been using some of these products for centuries. Cleopatra bathed in milk, which is one of the better skin whitening products. The lactic acid is the active ingredient. The products that block melanin production use a simple amino acid which is naturally present in our food; unlikely that putting it into our skin will hurt anything. :D

Not likely. Women have been using some of these products for centuries. Cleopatra bathed in milk, which is one of the better skin whitening products. The lactic acid is the active ingredient. The products that block melanin production use a simple amino acid which is naturally present in our food; unlikely that putting it into our skin will hurt anything.  :D

Oh, OK - I had a mental image of some nasty concoction brewed up in a Bangkok back-street. So it's natural, but still not acceptable to the FDA. Oh well, good luck with your freckles! :o

• 1 month later...