Getting Roman Numerals For A Thai Plate

I have a vague memory that you can get a romanised plate for travelling into Malaysia ?? Is this correct ??

To do this do you need to get the ITP / Car passport ??

I ask as I am looking at options for getting a Carnet du Passages et Douane to get into Indonesia and Thailand wont issue one.. I have finally found a place that will issue the document but they can only do so on a romanised plate.

Pardon me for being pedantic, but I think you are asking for Roman alphabet, "Arabic" numbers. Thai plates have Thai alphabet for the letters, Arabic for the numbers. I doubt you want a number like MCMXDII, which I think was a great year for blond, nearly bald, baby boys :o

To get the vinyl stick-on plates for travel to Malaysia, Lao, (and Cambodia?) first, you just go to Land Transport and get them to translate your existing plate details. Take your Blue book and ID (passport) with photocopies already done if you want to save time. They will issue you with the translation. Then take this to one of the many plate makers in Bangers, or HatYai etc, and they will print you a couple of plates.

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Cheers, Rick

ps when you stick yer plates on make sure they are aligned and straight, remember we do have certain standards to uphold as Farang !!! :o

To get the vinyl stick-on plates for travel to Malaysia, Lao, (and Cambodia?) first, you just go to Land Transport and get them to translate your existing plate details. Take your Blue book and ID (passport) with photocopies already done if you want to save time. They will issue you with the translation. Then take this to one of the many plate makers in Bangers, or HatYai etc, and they will print you a couple of plates.

I hope this is the information you are looking for.

Cheers, Rick

ps when you stick yer plates on make sure they are aligned and straight, remember we do have certain standards to uphold as Farang !!! :o

Superb.. I will try at my local DMV this coming week..

See if they understand the situation.

I know you want to go to indonesia, but here is my expereince in going to malaysia (see below). If you are driving to Indo, you will most likely have to go via malaysia. No car passport needed to enter malaysia, just the letter of translation,

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=malaysia

I am assuming that the carnet issuing people will want a letter translating your plate first, before they issue the carnet.

Also, LivinginLOS, where do you get the Carnet? When we eventually ship off back to OZ, we may want to drive there, and that may require a carnet!

a number like MCMXDII, which I think was a great year for blond, nearly bald, baby boys :D

are you sure that this year exists PeaceBlondie? :o

Nah, Naam, not sure at all. I finished studying Latin in 1958, from a teacher who was old enough to know Julius Caesar personally, if not carnally. I forgot the symbol for 50. Maybe D stands for 500. Let me ask Brutus and see what he et. Maybe sip-et.

a number like MCMXDII, which I think was a great year for blond, nearly bald, baby boys :D

Nah, Naam, not sure at all. I finished studying Latin in 1958, from a teacher who was old enough to know Julius Caesar personally, if not carnally. I forgot the symbol for 50. Maybe D stands for 500. Let me ask Brutus and see what he et. Maybe sip-et.

Try MCMXLII (if you mean 1942). This system was still in use when I attended school and I remember it well as it was very difficult to erase on papyrus.

Try MCMXLII (if you mean 1942). This system was still in use when I attended school and I remember it well as it was very difficult to erase on papyrus.

PeaceBlondie's file with the company in Langley, Virginia shows three different dates of birth. one is MCMXLIV, another one MCMXLV and there's one more MCMXLVI. must have been done deliberately to confuse KGB agents :D