New "working Of Aliens Act"

(Apologies in advance if this topic has already been discussed--I searched for details on it and couldn't find anything.)

Hi, I recently heard that Thailand has updated its "Working of Aliens" Act, and that the new rules include:

1) Work permits are now issued for two years instead of one, and the fees for workin permits are increased to Bt20,000.

2) A fund has been established with contributions from aliens' salaries. The purpose of the fund is to pay for deportation of aliens out of Thailand.

3) New prison sentences and fines for those working without a work permit.

Does anyone have any information about the above? Particularly interested in #2, and how this is being carried out.

Many thanks, Misty

1) Work permits are now issued for two years instead of one, and the fees for workin permits are increased to Bt20,000.

Haven't heard anyting, but #1 would only apply to those employees that have an employment contract of 2 years+.

The least you could do was say what bar you were in when you heard this. :o

TH

The first item has been mentioned on TV before and is enforced at some provinces already (20k but understood to be 1 year not two).

The least you could do was say what bar you were in when you heard this. :o

TH

:D

Think the bar is called "Deloitte Touche" ....page down in this link for the English section (if you don't read Thai):

http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/cda/doc/conten...2008%283%29.pdf

It would appear to be Bt20,000 for two (2) years...

My original question still stands, if this was enacted on 23 Feb 08 as suggested in the above link, how is #2 being carried out?

i'm surprised by those fees, i never saw a work permit costing 10000 bath(exept in lawyer's office) and never saw the renewal to cost 10000 bath, as far as i could see at the labour's office, three month renewal costs 750 bath or 3000 bath for a year(if you have an extension of stay)

Edited by NHJ

2) A fund has been established with contributions from aliens' salaries. The purpose of the fund is to pay for deportation of aliens out of Thailand.

Good to think ahead.

All the legal workers will be paying for the bad apples. :o

A firm that arranges work permits and visa extensions for foreigners had the following comments on this issue:

1) Yes, the Working of Aliens Act was changed on 22 Feb 2008, effective on 23 Feb 2008.

2) The Labour Department's regulations supporting the changes outlined have not yet been announced, so for now the current system of issuing one year work permits is still in place.

3) Visa extensions are also still for one year only. (not clear if they will eventually be two years?)

4) Fund for deportation of foreigners--Yes, this has been set up by law. But regulations to support this are not yet in place.

So it would seem the law's in place. Once regulations to support the law are developed, then it would seem these changes will become active.

Sunbelt Asia, is this your understanding?

Cheers, Misty

A firm that arranges work permits and visa extensions for foreigners had the following comments on this issue:

1) Yes, the Working of Aliens Act was changed on 22 Feb 2008, effective on 23 Feb 2008.

2) The Labour Department's regulations supporting the changes outlined have not yet been announced, so for now the current system of issuing one year work permits is still in place.

3) Visa extensions are also still for one year only. (not clear if they will eventually be two years?)

4) Fund for deportation of foreigners--Yes, this has been set up by law. But regulations to support this are not yet in place.

So it would seem the law's in place. Once regulations to support the law are developed, then it would seem these changes will become active.

Sunbelt Asia, is this your understanding?

Cheers, Misty

What does the deportation fund cover? The cost of arrest, imprisonment, any court fees (and/or other charges) and transport to the airport?