Satellite Tv Dish And Rotator

engineer

Greetings Chiang Mai teckies.

A few years ago in London my frind installed a 1.5 meter dish in his back garden along with a rotator. He used to ask me when I went to his place " what tv do you want to watch ". Needless to say, every way he turned his dish he had a few hundred more channels.

I am bored with looking at chimps mate and listening to Christy Lou Stout on CNN talking through her nose.

Has anyone set up a system like this here in Chiang mMai who can give me some advice ?

Dish is easy to find but I need an all purpose decoder and rotator.

I am bored with looking at chimps mate and listening to Christy Lou Stout on CNN talking through her nose.

Christie Lou Stout might talk through her nose, but she is as cute as a bug in a rug.. :o

I most heartily agree, I prefer BBC World...but her journalistic professionalism draws me back to CNN again and again :D

Yea, Christie is nice to wake up to......but the OP wanted more info than that and the answer is yes, they do have these systems here.....just look around town for 'dynasat'. You will get access to lots of free to air in chineese, indian, and other asian languages. English is hard to find unless you go for the pirate systems that can't be discussed here on this forum.

Your lucky to have WE tv - at least with that you can watch different channels in different rooms at your house.

I'm still setting my dish up - (Mrs thinks kitchen was more a priortity :o ) ... but checked around and CM is a bit behind BKK, Phuket and Patts as far as sat tv goes.

PSI on Rte 1141 from Airport Central does the Dynasat kit (which I've used for 5 years and is pretty reliable). The PSI offerings in English (if you have WE tv) are barely worth bothering with - most of the FTA are unfortunately junk.

Your lucky to have WE tv - at least with that you can watch different channels in different rooms at your house.

I'm still setting my dish up - (Mrs thinks kitchen was more a priortity :o ) ... but checked around and CM is a bit behind BKK, Phuket and Patts as far as sat tv goes.

PSI on Rte 1141 from Airport Central does the Dynasat kit (which I've used for 5 years and is pretty reliable). The PSI offerings in English (if you have WE tv) are barely worth bothering with - most of the FTA are unfortunately junk.

I have also worked with PSI, and about 5 years ago I bought a system from them. Every other month, and the receiver would become sia. I called them to fix it, which they did with no problem fo two years. After the two years, they wanted to charge me for their work, so for the last 3 years, it has just been sitting, unusable, on top of my TV.....

Christie Lou Stout might talk through her nose, but she is as cute as a bug in a rug.. :o

" bug in a rug " ?

Well have you noticed that she has a " bun in the oven " ?

And what type of name is " Stout " amyway, she makes me think of Guinness when I see her and Kermit when I hear her.

call north star satellite....Kun suriya...telephone number is 085-040-4012. he is competent, I have used him for about a year. Better than giving the money to Truevisions, which is an overpriced rip-off. Tell him the farang in Ban wang tan told you to call.

I got the Multi Choice decoder in February. Not bad, I get BBC News, Sky News and CNN. 8 sport channels from South Africa, so get all the cricket too. Was watching the IPL, England v New Zealand and Aus v Windies on 3 different channels last week!

Hi Guys,

Why not send a private message to the OP. Re: killing the goose lays golden egg. The other respondents by not directly replying were probably trying to get you to do same. Sheesh...Get a grip. :o

what is the price of the set up and any monthly fees??

I paid 19.9k Baht one off fee. I got it thriough NSS (North Star Sat) Tel 053 350 731

I have had it three months now and have as yet no issues to report.

I went to a branch of NSS at Carrefour a few days back and was told that I would need to pay 850 Bht. for a router and a monthly fee of 300 Bht. other than the installation cost.

Do you have to pay this monthly fee ?

Thanks.

cmfarmer

I live about 12 kms outside the city and have True Visions platinum. Grossly overpriced and sad choice of channels. WE cable said they don't do cable outside the city, but I see they also have satellite. Would that work where I live? And does that offer Australian Asia Pacific. PS: I think Christy Lou Stout's voice is much more suited to kids' TV.

we are about to move out into the country so this is a subject on my mind.

from the impetus provided by this thread i browsed around the net a bit and found this to be true ... i think. if you know differently please add your reply.

dish, lnb, receiver. these are the basic components to receive free tv stations off satellite, in several languages. generally not the stations i was looking for, but enough to keep one entertained for awhile.

packages are offered by various providers in many countries. many/most of which can be subscribed to from within thailand. so you are not compelled, as near as i know, to select only a thai premium package, you may choose one from, say the philippines, if you want. they will all cost extra for both specially designed hardware and software. Free to Air satellite tv is free. it captures the signals from satellite content providers that are broadcasting to their audience and require no payment to receive their signal.

dish size. for thailand, i generally found that the 1.5 - 2.0 meter diameter dish was recommended, although from web sites i felt that a .85 to 1 meter dish would be fine. there may be parameters assumed in one and discarded in the other which may account for the difference. given the cost of a few hundred baht it is probably worth going for the larger size if you have the space for it. a bigger dish will capture more signal.

the dish should be set up in a south facing direction and have an unobstructed view of the sky. no trees or buildings in the way. the position of the dish will determine which satellite it captures a signal from. there are many satellites whose signals can be captured by a dish in thailand. find the location of the satellite you are interested in (inet search) and point your dish at it.

The lnb is the part i know the least about. it converts the satellite signals into signals usable by the receiver. get one designed for use with the size and shape of disk you will be getting. the vendor will have this information.

the receiver, also known as a set top box, sits on top of your set and makes the signal from the lnb usable by your tv. this means it will convert that signal from whatever it is to whatever it needs to be. there are many kinds. some are specific to a particular package. the receiver is designed for the package. others are intended for use by the hobbiest and serious tv viewer and allow access to the FTA satellite tv stations which are not tied to a particular package.

as near as i can tell the boxes actually provide access to all the channels on a particular satellite but the channels associated with a 'package' will have special encryption which will disable clear reception. this is circumvented with the purchase of a 'smart' card and perhaps special receiver from the package vendor. it is this for which you are paying the vendor each month.

FTA receivers, those not associated with a package, will either be for 'fixed' in position and point to just a single satellite dish, (although the choice of which satellite this is can be made and then changed easily), or allow automatic searches of many satellites by motorized control of the dish position. the receiver will either be 'c' band or 'Ku' band. these are frequency ranges and are also called low and high bands respectively. the low band may be more immune to rain caused blackouts, but i have no verification of this.

each satellite will have many 'channels'. the 'content' of a channel is what you see on your tv. so a single satellite may have 100 or more 'channels' each of which is offering it's own 'content'. there will be many choices on each satellite.

a satellite occupies a geo-stationary orbit above the earth and can broadcast a signal to a small area on earth called a 'footprint'. if your dish is located within this footprint you will be able to receive a signal that can be captured by your dish, converted by the lnb, converted, decoded and decrypted by the set top box, and viewed by you on your tv. unless it is raining, or there are sunspots, or the content provider decides to send a signal down which causes your decoder/set top box to stop working, etc.

there are risks but there are very many retailers and users who appear to think this is a good thing.

prices, for a system which includes the hardware components above, start at about 10,000 baht, installed. the upper end i saw was about 40,000 baht, but it might well be much higher. for the FTA systems there are no monthly charges. packages incur package costs but that is a matter to be discussed with the package provider. for most of what is available on satellite tv in thailand, there will be no additional charges, and no monthly charges. you buy the system and you do what you want with it.

there is ample information on the internet. google satellite tv thailand, jsat tv thailand, dream satellite tv, lyngsat.com

so there you have it. the layman's guide as developed in 24 hours or so by a complete dummy with much yet to learn.

we are about to move out into the country so this is a subject on my mind.

from the impetus provided by this thread i browsed around the net a bit and found this to be true ... i think. if you know differently please add your reply.

dish, lnb, receiver. these are the basic components to receive free tv stations off satellite, in several languages. generally not the stations i was looking for, but enough to keep one entertained for awhile.

packages are offered by various providers in many countries. many/most of which can be subscribed to from within thailand. so you are not compelled, as near as i know, to select only a thai premium package, you may choose one from, say the philippines, if you want. they will all cost extra for both specially designed hardware and software. Free to Air satellite tv is free. it captures the signals from satellite content providers that are broadcasting to their audience and require no payment to receive their signal.

dish size. for thailand, i generally found that the 1.5 - 2.0 meter diameter dish was recommended, although from web sites i felt that a .85 to 1 meter dish would be fine. there may be parameters assumed in one and discarded in the other which may account for the difference. given the cost of a few hundred baht it is probably worth going for the larger size if you have the space for it. a bigger dish will capture more signal.

the dish should be set up in a south facing direction and have an unobstructed view of the sky. no trees or buildings in the way. the position of the dish will determine which satellite it captures a signal from. there are many satellites whose signals can be captured by a dish in thailand. find the location of the satellite you are interested in (inet search) and point your dish at it.

The lnb is the part i know the least about. it converts the satellite signals into signals usable by the receiver. get one designed for use with the size and shape of disk you will be getting. the vendor will have this information.

the receiver, also known as a set top box, sits on top of your set and makes the signal from the lnb usable by your tv. this means it will convert that signal from whatever it is to whatever it needs to be. there are many kinds. some are specific to a particular package. the receiver is designed for the package. others are intended for use by the hobbiest and serious tv viewer and allow access to the FTA satellite tv stations which are not tied to a particular package.

as near as i can tell the boxes actually provide access to all the channels on a particular satellite but the channels associated with a 'package' will have special encryption which will disable clear reception. this is circumvented with the purchase of a 'smart' card and perhaps special receiver from the package vendor. it is this for which you are paying the vendor each month.

FTA receivers, those not associated with a package, will either be for 'fixed' in position and point to just a single satellite dish, (although the choice of which satellite this is can be made and then changed easily), or allow automatic searches of many satellites by motorized control of the dish position. the receiver will either be 'c' band or 'Ku' band. these are frequency ranges and are also called low and high bands respectively. the low band may be more immune to rain caused blackouts, but i have no verification of this.

each satellite will have many 'channels'. the 'content' of a channel is what you see on your tv. so a single satellite may have 100 or more 'channels' each of which is offering it's own 'content'. there will be many choices on each satellite.

a satellite occupies a geo-stationary orbit above the earth and can broadcast a signal to a small area on earth called a 'footprint'. if your dish is located within this footprint you will be able to receive a signal that can be captured by your dish, converted by the lnb, converted, decoded and decrypted by the set top box, and viewed by you on your tv. unless it is raining, or there are sunspots, or the content provider decides to send a signal down which causes your decoder/set top box to stop working, etc.

there are risks but there are very many retailers and users who appear to think this is a good thing.

prices, for a system which includes the hardware components above, start at about 10,000 baht, installed. the upper end i saw was about 40,000 baht, but it might well be much higher. for the FTA systems there are no monthly charges. packages incur package costs but that is a matter to be discussed with the package provider. for most of what is available on satellite tv in thailand, there will be no additional charges, and no monthly charges. you buy the system and you do what you want with it.

there is ample information on the internet. google satellite tv thailand, jsat tv thailand, dream satellite tv, lyngsat.com

so there you have it. the layman's guide as developed in 24 hours or so by a complete dummy with much yet to learn.

That's a lot of interesting info, but I've heard far more stories about people who were dissatisfied with satellite set ups in Thailand than about people who were happy with them. Mainly due to sudden lack of reception, but I have got the impression that the bigger the dish, the more reliable the reception. Still not sure whether to give up UBC, but will continue researching...

If you want reliability, stay with true visions. But there are ways around it. The programming is so poor that I don't miss it when my system is down which is about 5% of the time. Between the phillipines, FTA and other ways you can say good bye to the piss poor expensive monopoly that is true visions.

True visions must look for the lowest cost english programming availiable and use that as their only critera of choice. Then they charge an arm and a leg for the endless repeats and dated, cheap programs.

having a good internet connection is a must

Great research Altman.

I want to get a rotating dish so I can just spend my evening hunting for new channels and footprints. I have seen it done and besides it being fun, it is also practical. What I am looking for is a good decoder or system .......

Has anyone in CM seen a rotator for sale .

There is so much scope for dealers to take advantage of suckers like me, I am afraid to just want into a shop and ask questions that only someone looking to get ripped off would ask.

Big Dish = easy to get

Rotator = Easy enuff to get

Decoder and reciever = This is the problem.

Info and help = even more difficult

Since its a taboo subject, if anyone can be of help can they PM me please.

951 people have viewed this post so a lot of people must like this idea ?

Edited by engineer

I have 5 years 2 mt dish with rotating engine from PSI (D-MOVE) I have paid about 15,000 baht (five Years ago) but now I think cheaper. I got 18 satellites with about 200/300 tv channels and many sat radios. Sometime broken, but fairly good assistance. I can say I'm happy, but good only if you like indian, chinese and arab channels.

Edited by angiud