Credit Card With Thai Airways Points

I see that American Express has a Platinum card where you get 1 Thai Airways mile for every 25 baht spent. Citibank apparently has a similar program but at 20 baht per point. I am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these cards - esp the Citibank. Your opinion on either is appreciated.

Depends what they are offering at the time.

Amex offers 5000 free points for the first spend, plus another 5000 when you take a your first thai airways flight overseas following the issuance of the card. Once you have spent over 100,000 baht in the first year, you get 1 point for every 20 baht (and they'll pro-rata up the first 100,000 baht at this rate too). Transfering 1 CC point on both to Thai airways points at the rate of 1 CC point - 0.66 thai air miles.

You also need to see where you get the bonus points (ie 10 times points). Depending on the card and their partnerships, some places are more convientent depending on where you live.

I know with the AMEX, there used to be a certain place that I would go for Saturday brunch where I'd get 10x points. 1000 baht spent on a sat morning brunch meant I'd get 500 CC points, or 300 Thai miles once converted . Do this every week for a year and that was 15K points. Not too bad for what it is.

Amex is pretty well accepted in Thailand, so not too much difference there as far as I can figure out.

As an aside, I am about to lose my gold status on Thai (don't fly often enough or far enough these days) so I'm going to get a Bank of Aythaya platinum card, which give you access to the Thai airways lounges at Swampy as long as you a flying them.....

Thanks for the info on AMEX. It looks like the citibank is a better deal then. They give 1 mile per 20 baht...and access to the lounges as well (twice per year).

The Ayuthya card is approx 1 mile per 40 baht according to the website.

Once I find out the annual fees for them all, I will post. So far, only AMEX clearly states the fees. (4000 baht per year plus 2000 baht for every supplementary card).

Thanks

For everyone's info, Citibank called me today after I applied online. It appears to be better than I first thought.....

1. The annual fees are the same as the Thai Airways American Express

2. I get 1 THai Airways mile per 20 baht spent (versus 25 with American Express)

3. Since I am a first-time customer, I get the annual fee waived for the first year OR I get 1 mile per 10 baht spent during the first three months.

4. Free limo ride from Airport (once per year)

5. Access to Royal Orchid Lounger (twice per year)

On top of that, Citibank's branch is in Bangkok. They are sending a rep all the way up to Chiang Mai to go over all the details and explain things to me in English. Amazing!

For everyone's info, Citibank called me today after I applied online. It appears to be better than I first thought.....

1. The annual fees are the same as the Thai Airways American Express

2. I get 1 THai Airways mile per 20 baht spent (versus 25 with American Express)

3. Since I am a first-time customer, I get the annual fee waived for the first year OR I get 1 mile per 10 baht spent during the first three months.

4. Free limo ride from Airport (once per year)

5. Access to Royal Orchid Lounger (twice per year)

On top of that, Citibank's branch is in Bangkok. They are sending a rep all the way up to Chiang Mai to go over all the details and explain things to me in English. Amazing!

Ive got both the TG Platinum Amex and the TG Platinum Citi Visa..... you get 1 TG mile for every B20 spend on both cards (as long as you you spend at least B100K per annum on Amex).....

if I remember right, for the Plat Visa, you get the complimentary London cab twice per year to the airport (thats a nice little perk)..... airport lounge benefits are redundant if you are TG Gold or fly biz class anyway.....

there are a bunch of other benefits under both cards, but if you are interested in Thai Airways perks, benefits are better on the AMEX (example, threhold spending bonus miles, bonus miles for selected flights, 50% discount on award tickets for a companion, a free first class ticket for every 5 first class flights, etc.)

P.S. any relation to Lady Windermere's Fan? :o or Lord Clark of Windermere?

Edited by trajan

As an aside, I am about to lose my gold status on Thai (don't fly often enough or far enough these days) so I'm going to get a Bank of Aythaya platinum card, which give you access to the Thai airways lounges at Swampy as long as you a flying them.....

hey, dont forget TG Plat AMEX super fast tracks you to TG Gold status :o ....

hey, dont forget TG Plat AMEX super fast tracks you to TG Gold status :D ....

d'oh!

how does that work again?

I'm seriously not flying enough these days, maybe one regional hop (at best) every two months, and always (these days) economy :o

Personally I rate amex service in Thailand as 9/10 - almost cant fault them and Citibank 1/10 - the differences are amazing - change address "no problem" with amex "just tell me your new address - Citibank - need it in writing, in triplicate, etc etc - cant be bothered with that so 100% of my spending goes on Amex these days. No idea about the miles - its the service I value and Amex has never let me down in Thailand. Oh just looked at my amex statement and I have some 200,000 miles banked with them - sounds like 2 business class to Europe coming up soon.

hey, dont forget TG Plat AMEX super fast tracks you to TG Gold status :D ....

d'oh!

how does that work again?

I'm seriously not flying enough these days, maybe one regional hop (at best) every two months, and always (these days) economy :o

Instead of the normal 50,000 miles you need to fly in a year to get Gold status for 2 years, TG Platinum Amex has a fast-track plan as follows (but you'll need to fly "C" or "D" class intead of "Y" economy):

Fast Track to Royal Orchid Plus Gold Status*

Special one-time offer for a Basic Cardmembers, if you are currently a Royal Orchid Plus Silver Member or Royal Orchid Plus Member, you can enjoy a Fast Track to Royal Orchid Plus Gold for the first 12 months of your THAI American Express Platinum Credit Cardmembership when you earn 25,000 Qualifying Miles for paid travel in Royal First or Royal Silk Class or travel 20 international sectors. This is half of the usual mileage (or sectors) required to qualify for Gold Status.

For lots of further details and other benefits click here:

TG Plat AMEX benefits

Personally I rate amex service in Thailand as 9/10 - almost cant fault them and Citibank 1/10 - the differences are amazing - change address "no problem" with amex "just tell me your new address - Citibank - need it in writing, in triplicate, etc etc - cant be bothered with that so 100% of my spending goes on Amex these days. No idea about the miles - its the service I value and Amex has never let me down in Thailand. Oh just looked at my amex statement and I have some 200,000 miles banked with them - sounds like 2 business class to Europe coming up soon.

that is true. My experience with AMEX has been second to none. They call me anytime there is an unusal transaction, usually within 30mins of it happening. Very good security and customer service.

trajan- thanks for the update!

I agree that the AMEX platinum customer service is decent (read above average for Thailand).

At the time, they were offering some garish watch or 2x,000 bonus miles. I chose the miles.

Not quite a TG flyer though, I usually fly Emirates on my twice a month+ BKK-HK flights. Better service, better planes, etc.

The TG miles may be good for a jaunt to NYC or to Stockholm if they have direct flights (i don't recall a BKK-Stockholm direct, but I'm sure it exists).

Overall I'm happy with AMEX Plat-- I just don't hold Citibank in high regard.

I have always found Thai Amex excellent to deal with. One quick call transfers points to my Thai Airways account, and there's another free trip for you. Anything out of the ordinary, they call you. Happy and helpful staff, that actually do what they say they will.

I use my card where ever I can, as currently I get a bonus for spending over 100k at the beginning of the year, so 1 point for 20 baht spent. I average two points trips a year, and for and annual fee of 4000 bah I think it's well worth the investment.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I applied for a Citibank card in late May and the application is still not approved (as of June 20th). Frankly, it's been quite frustrating. On May 31st, they sent a "messenger" to come and collect my documents. Since then, they have called nearly every day to ask for more info or to send even more documents. First, they asked for 3 months bank statement. Then, 6 months. Now, they are asking for all of them again. Either someone is stealing my documents from them or they are incompetent. I'm thinking of sending an application into AMEX instead. From the opinions of others, they seem to be much better.

Well, I applied for a Citibank card in late May and the application is still not approved (as of June 20th). Frankly, it's been quite frustrating. On May 31st, they sent a "messenger" to come and collect my documents. Since then, they have called nearly every day to ask for more info or to send even more documents. First, they asked for 3 months bank statement. Then, 6 months. Now, they are asking for all of them again. Either someone is stealing my documents from them or they are incompetent. I'm thinking of sending an application into AMEX instead. From the opinions of others, they seem to be much better.

sounds like they have having difficulty making up their minds. But, if you think that the cards will give you the benefits you need, then it is worth persevering.

As for AMEX, all I can say is from what I have seen they are very foreginer friendly. My wife (before we were married) was an international school teacher and got a bog standard AMEX pretty easily.

The firm I used to work for had a large proportion of expats (at least 50) and AMEX made a huge effort to sign everyone up. Most expats ended getting one.

yes, I agree that AMEX seems to be more customer oriented.........but two major things are good about Citi Visa:

(a) Visas are more widely accepted than AMEX and

(2) Citi has online access to all statements and current charges (this is very helpful)....

if AMEX could overcome these two points I would drop Citi Visa in a flash and just keep Thai Airways Plat. AMEX (and Central Dept Plat. Mastercard)...

yes, I agree that AMEX seems to be more customer oriented.........but two major things are good about Citi Visa:

(a) Visas are more widely accepted than AMEX and

(2) Citi has online access to all statements and current charges (this is very helpful)....

if AMEX could overcome these two points I would drop Citi Visa in a flash and just keep Thai Airways Plat. AMEX (and Central Dept Plat. Mastercard)...

In Thailand? I had a TG Amex Platinum for 5 years or so and can recall only one place where they said they would 'prefer' Visa or Mastercard ... In Europe or even HKG I would agree with your comment - the number of places that will not accept it is a major impediment.

Just to back up the other comments about Amex Thailand - I had zero hassles with them, the customer service was great and it was easy-peasy to eventually change to a Singapore Airlines Krisflyer Amex when I re-located from Bangers to Singers. Based on the comments from other posters, doesn't sound like Citi are quite as slick as Amex just yet...

CC

June 23....

Citibank finally called me to tell me that my application was approved...but not yet. (I had to laugh at that one).

According to the conversation, they have had problems with foreigner accounts so if a foreigner applied with NO history with Citibank and no history with the THAILAND Credit Bureau, they require the person to collect their card in person at the Bangkok head office. (A problem for those who live outside of Bangkok).

Their alternative suggestion was for me to apply for an Amex card because after one month, I would have a credit history in Thailand. At that point, they could issue me my Citibank card. They understood that it would mean that I'd have to pay an annual fee to two different companies just to get their card.

There's nothing better than making it difficult to attract new and (in my opinion) good clients.

I have a United Airlines Visa card....I got 25,000 miles to sign up, and 10-15,000 more if you sign up for e-mail alerts and such.

I get one mile for every dollar spent.

Its a Star Alliance partner, so Thai Air accepts the miles.

Pumpuiman

I also have a Star Alliance credit card from another country. However; with every transaction, you are paying a 2-3% currency transaction fee on top of any other fee that your card may charge. AMEX, VISA and Mastercard all have currency transaction fees. Often, they are hidden by having a bad exchange rate.

For this reason, I am trying to get a Thai credit card so that I can save these charges since most of my purchases are now in Thai baht.

Edited by earlofwindermere