Htc Dream Phone With Android

stumonster

I'm more interested in the HTC dream with android running on it.

Word on the street is that Google just busted out a live demo of the oft-rumored HTC Dream doing its Android-flavored thing at the company's I/O conference in San Francisco. Reports tell us that the device is a roughly 3-inch by 5-inch touchscreen phone with a slider keyboard. Not a lot is known right now, though apparently the device packs an accelerometer which allows you to tilt the unit to scroll across Google Maps or Street View

Androidscreenshots3_396x600.jpg

dates for the touch diamond only say june 2008

http://www.pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1311

//Edit: This topic has been split from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191870 - Maestro

Edited by Maestro

Guest Bellini
I'm more interested in the HTC dream with android running on it.

I am holding my breath waiting for it. Or perhaps I'll wait for the follow-up model of HTC Touch Diamond with the Android operating system, hoping that HTC will produce such model.

unwired.gif

HTC Omni surfaces at Google as HTC "Dream" with Android OS

It’s been a while since we last heard about HTC Omni communicator, the info about which leaked last July together with HTC roadmap for 2007.

Now we may know why it was never mentioned again. Looks like HTC was persuaded to drop Windows mobile OS and made Omni into Google’s Android demo phone.

Don’t believe me? How about this Forbes description of HTC “Dream” handset used in Google’s Android demonstrations:

htc-omni-horizontal.jpg

The phone, code-named “Dream” inside Google, looks somewhat like Apple’s iPhone: It is thin, about 3 inches wide and 5 inches long, and features a touch-sensitive, rectangular screen… The bottom end of the handset, near the navigational controls, is slightly beveled so it nestles in the palm. The screen also swivels to one side, revealing a full keyboard beneath. (The screen display changes from a vertical portrait mode to a horizontal display when someone uses the keyboard.)

Continued here: http://www.unwiredview.com/2007/11/06/htc-...ith-android-os/

--

Maestro

• 3 months later...
There’s a demonstration of Android by Google’s developer Andy Rubin in this video:

Wow - very interesting. Much appreciated, thanks.

It's clear from that video why Android will have a really hard time vs the iPhone there. This came out 1 year and a few months after the iPhone but compared to the iPhone:

- the browser kinda sucks. multi-touch is sorely missed.

- UI not that smooth

- Multiple modes of operation make it more complicated (e.g. in the vid, use the scroll wheel or the touch screen for browsing). I noticed this one because of the SE P990i I once had, which had stylus, touch screen, click wheel, keyboard, or flip up number pad as alternative input methods and was barely usable. There's a reason cars only have 1 steering wheel.

- Hardware a bit ugly - though the touch diamond and others show that HTC can do much better too.

- Head dev guy keeps talking about the software stack. Id much rather hear him talk about a seamless user experience, but he didn't. I guess this is really more a prototype device than anything else.