Mukdahan Farang / Western Foods

pianoman

I was told that there is a Topps Market or something simular in Mukdahan where a person could buy some Western style foods... Can anyone from there or who visits regularly tell me how to find the place???

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

I was told that there is a Topps Market or something simular in Mukdahan where a person could buy some Western style foods... Can anyone from there or who visits regularly tell me how to find the place???

Pianoman

The Tops Supermarket in Mukdahan is located in the street in the middle of town that holds the night market. The shops are on one side of the street, the other side is a large open area that holds a large government building, possibly its the 'city hall'. Sorry i don't know the name of the street. If you ask anyone where the night market is, they should be able to direct you. The store is on the first floor - i.e not the ground floor, so you need to go up some steps.

IMHO, Tops has a much better selection of farang food than Tesco Lotus in Muk.

If you are looking for decent fresh bread, the best place is from street vendors at the northern end of the main riverside market.

The Tops Supermarket in Mukdahan is located in the street in the middle of town that holds the night market. The shops are on one side of the street, the other side is a large open area that holds a large government building, possibly its the 'city hall'. Sorry i don't know the name of the street. If you ask anyone where the night market is, they should be able to direct you. The store is on the first floor - i.e not the ground floor, so you need to go up some steps.

IMHO, Tops has a much better selection of farang food than Tesco Lotus in Muk.

If you are looking for decent fresh bread, the best place is from street vendors at the northern end of the main riverside market.

Thanks, That goes along with what I had heard... Can you give me any "Landmarks" as what street it is on??? Such as "the same street / soi as Bangkok Bank"???

It might be easier to just drive to Immg. Office, park along the river and then take a Tuk Tuk to Topps, assuming that the Tuk Tuk Drive would know where it is...

Pianoman

The place / street you are looking for is illustrated here - http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2006/0..._market?blog=23

Worst coming to worst - print off this picture, and take it to Muk with you...... EVERYONE will know where it is. Previous description is good - street runs adjcent to a big gourvernment building looking thingy. Muk is a small city - even if you don't speak the lingo, driving around for 5 mins you should spot the "food safety street" sign.

As previous poster describes, its half way down the street..... and well worth the visit for "farang" food stuffs.

I think the street name is Songnang Satit Rd. or something like that...... and the gouvernemtn building is either the town hall or the court house..... I think.

If your looking for a landmark it's ABOVE Watson's,other than that the details/directions posted are pretty spot on.

I was there yesterday, go to the Immigration Office, come back out that road that heads west and just keep going on it, you will cross a major road and then on the right is a park or open area and on the left up a bit is Tops, it is not marked well so drive slow. They had a fair selection of cheese, very limited meat counter and no cold meets like I was hoping. I had limited time so did not get a chance to check the rest of the store, but other than for the cheese I did not see that they had anything that Tesco/Lotus in Muhdahan doesn't stock. Issangeorge.

I was there yesterday, go to the Immigration Office, come back out that road that heads west and just keep going on it, you will cross a major road and then on the right is a park or open area and on the left up a bit is Tops, it is not marked well so drive slow. They had a fair selection of cheese, very limited meat counter and no cold meets like I was hoping. I had limited time so did not get a chance to check the rest of the store, but other than for the cheese I did not see that they had anything that Tesco/Lotus in Muhdahan doesn't stock. Issangeorge.

thanks, George...

I will be over that way around the 20th, and unlike yourself I will have lots of time to waste, so I will scan the whole store... Sometimes finding one or two little items that you haven't found before can add so much to one's enjoyment of life... Rice Crispy Cereal for making Rice Crispy Treats is just one example... Topps usually stocks this, where Lotus does not...

Side note, are you still teaching in Kalasin??? Haven't seen you around town at all...

Pianoman

The name of the department store is Ying Git (spelling).

Topps occupies most of the ground (first floor) floor.

We always go there so my girlfriend can get her Scholl sandals on the second floor.

Hope it helps. :o

Regards

Mr Conrad

Edited by Mr Conrad

Pianoman, Anukoolnaree had a department head change and the new head decided she either didn't want me back or didn't want a native language English teacher, since they don't have another teacher I guessing it was the later. I have been on holidays since the end of February, but starting, I think June 16, I am going to be teaching at Rajamangala University in Kalasin, it should be challenging and interesting. Issangeorge.

Pianoman, Anukoolnaree had a department head change and the new head decided she either didn't want me back or didn't want a native language English teacher, since they don't have another teacher I guessing it was the later. I have been on holidays since the end of February, but starting, I think June 16, I am going to be teaching at Rajamangala University in Kalasin, it should be challenging and interesting. Issangeorge.

"Challenging and Interesting" is the Best / Most Diplomatic way to describe any endevore in Thailand... Good Luck...

Pianoman

Topps is at the 2nd floor of the local Yong Kij department store. Yong Kij is located along the Talad Lad Tree, it's the town's night bazaar.

Hail any SkyLab, that's how they call the Isan Tuk-Tuk, and tell him to bring you to Talad Lad Tree. :o