Caravans

fred2007

There is a company in Thailand who make motor homes .

Thanks for that mate it may help me in the future :D

Just to add another question while I am here, my wife has started a new business over here

building trailers ( my brilliant idea :o ) Why is it so hard to convince thai people it is a good

idea to use them with todays high fuell costs.

Just to add another question while I am here, my wife has started a new business over here

building trailers ( my brilliant idea :o ) Why is it so hard to convince thai people it is a good

Well,why is it a good idea.?

you ever seen how they load up there Pick Up's it is outright dangerous

I agree, but so is their driving, I can picture a towed 6 X 4 box trailer with 10 men ,women and children loaded in it. :D

Are you going to manufacture assorted model tow bars as well? Many members have asked on TV of a source for tow bars ,but I have never seen it answered in the affirmative.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket ,but any equipment manufactured would have to be tested and approved by the relevant authorities,plus vehicle manufacturers will null and void warranty if a non -approved item is fitted to their cars or trucks.

Viking Trailers in Korat will make you a caravan. As the name suggests, it is owned by a Swedish guy, I bought a trailer from them a couple of years ago. They will also fit tow bar to car, etc. The trailer frame is German made.

Unfortunately their web sit doesn't seem to work any more and I understood they were moving factory last time I was there, but the other contacts I had were Tel. 09-6274141. 044 278470. E-mail [email protected]

Think they are called Siam motor home .

Edited by Thaifan2

I agree, but so is their driving, I can picture a towed 6 X 4 box trailer with 10 men ,women and children loaded in it. :D

Are you going to manufacture assorted model tow bars as well? Many members have asked on TV of a source for tow bars ,but I have never seen it answered in the affirmative.

Not wanting to be a wet blanket ,but any equipment manufactured would have to be tested and approved by the relevant authorities,plus vehicle manufacturers will null and void warranty if a non -approved item is fitted to their cars or trucks.

You not a wet blanket at all, I guess you are not familiar with Thai laws. Every trailer we manufacture has to have the approvel of an engineer ( grade 3 I think ) And also of the licensing

authorities ( which are a pain in the back ) We can't just get one approved and carry on making them

like you do in other countries eg.UK,Germany,US or Australia. Because they are not standards or

specifications for trailers over here. And talking about carrying people on the trailer :D I guess you

never seen 6 people on a motorcicle or ten people on the back of a Pick-Up? If you think that is safe

I rest my case. By the way we also make trailers for motorcicles which will be approved very shortly.

And I am not talking about those silly unsave side cars you see every where which are illigal but

every one has one.

[ quote ]

You not a wet blanket at all, I guess you are not familiar with Thai laws. Every trailer we manufacture has to have the approvel of an engineer ( grade 3 I think ) And also of the licensing

authorities ( which are a pain in the back ) We can't just get one approved and carry on making them

like you do in other countries eg.UK,Germany,US or Australia. Because they are not standards or

specifications for trailers over here. And talking about carrying people on the trailer biggrin.gif I guess you

never seen 6 people on a motorcicle or ten people on the back of a Pick-Up? If you think that is safe

I rest my case. By the way we also make trailers for motorcicles which will be approved very shortly.

And I am not talking about those silly unsave side cars you see every where which are illigal but

every one has one.

[/ quote ]

Yes Fred I have been here enough years to see most things including the aftermath of the 21 people in the back of a pick-up that rolled near Chiang Rai a few years ago and the 20 kids riding on top of a school bus that goes through our village every afternoon.

The point I was trying to make was that with the Thai penchance for trying to make a few baht out of any situation ,then you have to make sure that you are covered in the event of anything going wrong through misuse of your gear.

I take your point about the "side cars", our village gas merchant carries about 300kg in one ,on close inspection it is attached to the Honda Dream with 4 x 1/4 inch metal threads. (an accident looking for someplace to happen)

When you watch people making 3 and 4 attempts to park in a parking bay the thought of them trying to manouvre a trailer is pretty scary, I think I prefer the badly loaded pick ups

Why does every body assume we talking about normal box trailers and city driving? Try telling a farmer

to carry his 10 million baht price bull on a pick up or contractor who has to carry his macro from one

place to the other :o

When you watch people making 3 and 4 attempts to park in a parking bay the thought of them trying to manouvre a trailer is pretty scary, I think I prefer the badly loaded pick ups

Why does every body assume we talking about normal box trailers and city driving? Try telling a farmer

to carry his 10 million baht price bull on a pick up or contractor who has to carry his macro from one

place to the other :D

Nobody is assuming anything, maybe its because it was you who brought up the point about Thais overloading their pick-ups and they certainly are not going to tow a multi axle low loader with a macro on board behind their pick-up. :o

place to the other :D

Nobody is assuming anything, maybe its because it was you who brought up the point about Thais overloading their pick-ups and they certainly are not going to tow a multi axle low loader with a macro on board behind their pick-up. :D

:o So they carry a macro on a side car

• 3 years later...

In eight years in Thailand I have seen one (1) car pulling a box trailer. I assumed that this was because so many people have pick-up trucks. We have one shop that sells box trailers here in Chiang Mai (not sure if they are made locally or not) and I have never seen a person in the yard looking at them. My wife thinks they are used by farmers & pulled by tractors.

I have seen the occasional motorhome, though just in the last year or two. The wife pointed out an article about them some time ago, in some upmarket Thai rag like 'Tatler' and I gather that they have some degree of celebrity-inspired appeal ...perhaps a spin-off from their use in the film industry as has been noted.

<I agree, but so is their driving, I can picture a towed 6 X 4 box trailer with 10 men ,women and children loaded in it.>

Sorry, quote numbers didn't match, and too complicated to work out , so I deleted most of the original reply

Up in the village I often used to see trailers loaded up with people on their way to the rice fields. However, they were hooked up to to the mechanical buffalo which is pushing it to make 10 kph!

Edited by thaibeachlovers

In eight years in Thailand I have seen one (1) car pulling a box trailer. I assumed that this was because so many people have pick-up trucks. We have one shop that sells box trailers here in Chiang Mai (not sure if they are made locally or not) and I have never seen a person in the yard looking at them. My wife thinks they are used by farmers & pulled by tractors.

I have seen the occasional motorhome, though just in the last year or two. The wife pointed out an article about them some time ago, in some upmarket Thai rag like 'Tatler' and I gather that they have some degree of celebrity-inspired appeal ...perhaps a spin-off from their use in the film industry as has been noted.

You need permission to get a trailer in Thailand...and from my understanding it isn't easy to get.