Just Got New Passport

I just got my replacement UK Passport, after getting some great advice here, and also speaking to the British Embassy, it was all done by post with the minimum of hassle. It didn't expire until December, and the new one is valid until Dec 2018, so I didn't lose the 6 months as I expected.

I am currently on a multi entry non-o which expires on 11th Oct (although I will do a border run just before this date to stretch it until Jan), and my current entry stamp expires 15th July.

They have sent back my old passport with the corner cut, along with a letter for Immigration asking for their assistance in transferring my visa etc.

My question is, is it really necessary to get my Visa/ Entry stamp transferred to the new passport, or can I just present both passports when travelling in July, and again in October? If it is necessary, do I need both transferred, or just one? If so how would I go about this? Is it just a simple trip to the local Immi?

It seems to me it would be alot of unnecessary hassle to have them transferred, as they will clearly be able to see when I present both passports that all is in order, however I am aware of the lack of common sense applied in this country, especially where immigration issues are concerned.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SC.

The permission to stay stamp must be transferred. Visas are not transferred and you will have to carry the old passport to use the old visa.

Thanks Lop, I knew you would be one of the first to come back on this. How do I go about that? Done at local immigration? Any other paperwork required?

Cheers.

Thanks guys, I will get down there and do that tomorrow.

BTW Longball, that seems to be standard in Pattaya these days for anything. I needed a certificate of residency to renew my drivers license about a month ago, and had to come back the next day. It wasn't like that 12 months ago.

Edited by sweetchariot

Your visa can not be transferred - only your current permitted to stay stamp and reference to the old visa is entered in the new passport. As already said you should have a letter from your Embassy and copies of passports.

Just a further thought, what would happen if I just did a border run in July, would they not just transfer the stamp at the border? Or would they send me back to an internal immigration office to get it transferred.

I'm just being lazy, I will still get it done tomorrow, but just wondering what would happen if, as no instructions are given.

The permission to stay stamp must be transferred. Visas are not transferred and you will have to carry the old passport to use the old visa.

Question for Lopburi -

What about 1 year extension? Like in my case. I am due for a new passport in September and my next 1y extension is due November. Does it mean for the next few years I have to carry my old expired passport with me? I ever thought everything stamped or attached in a passport (visa sticker) will expire automatically when the passport expires.

I know some people who got their visa transfered at Suan Phlu into the new valid passport. It was a 1 page stamp. The information here seems to me a little confusing. My last visa sticker on which my extension is based was obtained 4 years ago!

Edited by webfact

If you have a one year extension of stay you can not travel without a re-entry permit so you have the extension of stay information transferred into the new passport and do not need the old one anymore. When you want to travel you obtain a re-entry permit stamp to match the date of your extension of stay.

Question for Lopburi -

What about 1 year extension? Like in my case. I am due for a new passport in September and my next 1y extension is due November. Does it mean for the next few years I have to carry my old expired passport with me? I ever thought everything stamped or attached in a passport (visa sticker) will expire automatically when the passport expires.

I know some people who got their visa transfered at Suan Phlu into the new valid passport. It was a 1 page stamp. The information here seems to me a little confusing. My last visa sticker on which my extension is based was obtained 4 years ago!

I was in the UK july 2007, I took the oppourtunity to renew my passport.

On returning to Thailand ( pattaya) I made a point of going to the Immigration to keep my 90 days solvent.

I had to leave my new passport for one day befor collection.

All details where transferred to my new passport.

MY 2001 'O' visa

My current I year ( retirement ) Visa which expired December same year'

My multi re-entry stamp.

I presume that is the norm' unless I caught them on a good day.

Cheeers

I do not believe any visa was transferred (only the information about the visa). A one year extension of stay is not a visa and is issued by Immigration so that was transferred. People have have reported mixed luck with re-entry stamps but it is an Immigration function so they can and often do transfer them.

Where it makes a difference is a multi entry visa that is still valid. The details would be transferred and the entry stamp information but the visa itself would not and to use it would require presenting the old passport on entry.

I do not believe any visa was transferred (only the information about the visa). A one year extension of stay is not a visa and is issued by Immigration so that was transferred. People have have reported mixed luck with re-entry stamps but it is an Immigration function so they can and often do transfer them.

Where it makes a difference is a multi entry visa that is still valid. The details would be transferred and the entry stamp information but the visa itself would not and to use it would require presenting the old passport on entry.

Point taken.

As you say the details where transferred.

Isn't that what the origanator was asking?.

Cheers

The OP was of the hope that the visa was transferred so he did not have to carry the old one to use his multi entry later in the year. That is not the case. In your case it did not matter as the visa had long expired but in his case the difference between "details of the old visa" and having a valid visa are real.

Just a side note for anyone who is due for a new passport soon.

I have just examined the new style passport, and there are now 7 rather than 5 unusable pages of notes etc, so my 48 page PP has only 41 usable pages. Might be something to consider when deciding between 36 and 48 pages, the extra cost being fairly negligible.

To any non-Brits, the UK will not add extra pages under any circumstances, if it's full you have to get a new one.

Just a side note for anyone who is due for a new passport soon.

I have just examined the new style passport, and there are now 7 rather than 5 unusable pages of notes etc, so my 48 page PP has only 41 usable pages. Might be something to consider when deciding between 36 and 48 pages, the extra cost being fairly negligible.

To any non-Brits, the UK will not add extra pages under any circumstances, if it's full you have to get a new one.

Just so that you don't feel sorry for yourselves :o Swedish passports cannot have pages added either, only come in a 32-page variety and are valid for five years only :D

/ Priceless

Went to Pattaya Immi this afternoon. Handed evrything over (letter from embassy, form I downloaded, copies of old passport front page, entry stamp, visa; and a copy of the new passport front page)

The guy sat at the desk looked at my well dressed demeanour for a second or two, and said 200 baht. I knew this was bullshit from his body language, and this was later backed up from a friend of a friend who did exactly the same 2 weeks ago for 0 baht.

Had he asked for 2,000 I might have made a scene, but for 200 I was not really worried.

Anyway, the whole thing took about 10 minutes, I have a whole page in the new passport dedicated mostly to his own Thai handwriting, which is a little concerning, but it's all sorted now.

He made a point of telling me twice before I left that I needed to take both passports next time I re-enter the Kingdom, which although I was lucky enough to have the guys here inform me already, I thought was very good service for the unenlightened.

Pattaya Immigration - 9.5/10. You lose marks for stinging me for 200 baht, otherwise it would have been 12/10.