Ps3 Or Xbox360 Which Is The Better Option?

pluto_manibo

The Ps3 seems to be the better machine but the selection of games is quite limited and it can only play original games no back ups.......At a Price of 15,000 baht it is quite appealing considering it acts as a blue ray dvd player, however with expensive and limited game selection it is a setback.

The xbox 360 at the same price is very attractive, considering the large amount of game titles and it plays "back up" games as well. However the big dilemna is the fact that a lot of them have a technical failure, they overheat, stop functioning and become decorative ornaments in your living room(RROD=red rings of death!). If it was not for this fact...the xbox would be my choice.....as the graphics are equal and game selection is amazing.

My questions are: Do the newer Xbox machines still have this problem? If so, how many of you have encountered the RROD with their xbox? Is the PS3 really worth dishing out 1,500-2,500 baht for its games? :o

I've read a lot of problems on the net about the X-360's ROD. However, I bought them as soon as they were released, and it's still going strong. Note that I don't keep it on the floor, inside a entertainment centre, etc. so that may have some bearing on the longevity of my system.

Otherwise, I have nothing to add except that if you don't have a 720p+ TV, there's really no point in worrying about Blu-Ray since you will not see the difference from regualr dvds. And the geek factor of being able to install Linux on your PS3 is really high---now let us have access to the RSX!!!!!

I've got xbox 360 and have not had any problems (except getting banned from XBLive).

I did buy the extra fan pack that goes on the back, plus another little fan pointed directly behind it to defuse the heat. It does run very hot, during hot season it's probably better to use aircon while playing.

(GTA VI rocks i'm addicted to that right now)

I’ve had an Xbox 360 for about 18 months now and it’s still going strong. I use it mainly in an air conditioned room, but it is inside an entertainment cabinet with the doors open. I try to limit my playing to a max of around 3 hours a time to avoid over heating. Each time I get the latest cutting edge game I fear it might cause an over heat but so far ok. I am now playing GTA IV and everything is still ok. To be honest I expected the PS3 to be displaying better graphics that the Xbox by now, but looking at comparisons carried out on the net (gamespot.com) this seems not to be the case. The Xbox is still coming out on top. I do still think that the PS3 may come out on top in the long run, but I am more than happy with my Xbox. There is a brilliant selection of games available for the Xbox and many more due, and all at a great ‘back up’ price.

I would hate to live in fear of the xbox overheating...going to get it fixed anticipating for it to shut down if I play over 3 hrs...This alone gives Kudos for the Playstation 3....Even if the games are not "back up" ..atleast it is reliable...which seems to be an "iffy" issue with the xbox.....Games like assassins' creed, gta IV and gran turismo....make it worth it.....it is a huge and heavy mother though....

If you get a 360, check out the serial number sticker on the box and find the PSU power rating. If it's 203W dont touch it, if it's 174W it's the newer design with the 65nm CPU. Sadly the GPU is the same and the most common RROR culprit, so i'm waiting to replace my currently naked, self repaired, dead DVD 360 with the new motherboards due in a few months....

If heat is the only problem - and it would be an even bigger one in Thailand, obviously - then it should be pretty easy to solve with extra fans.

Blueray is kinda pointless as long as there are no BR disks available in Thailand. Personally I think I will skip the new disk format in favor of DivX or H264 on a media box. Don't have the box yet but it seems to me that that's the way to go in any case. Disks seem so quaint in this day and age.

i had a year-old xbox which got RROD'd last Christmas.

i would have wanted to get a new XBOX again but i can't live with the fear of spending that much again expecting the product to conk out in a year. a year ago i would never consider PS3 due to the lack of games. but now, things have changed, so, two months ago i got a new PS3.

the only setback for me is the games are very expensive. prior to PS3, i've never owned an "original" cd game. PS3 "educated" me on the advantages of an original - reliability and the perks (online features) - and it is worth the extra baht, in my opinion. oh, and you can trade old games also if you grow tired of it.

blu-ray discs are fast increasing in video stores. i just hope it's price will fall just as fast.

The PS3 has the better, more diverse line up games for 2008 and beyond as developers get to grips with the tough to develop for hardware (360 is best known for FPS - no bad thing for me as I love FPSs)

Only problem is the high price of games compared to the "back-ups" you get on 360 but if you only buy the AAA titles it's not too bad

The PS3 has quite a lot of AAA games and will have loads come end 08

If you search back throught the forums, you'll see the rrod crops up quite a lot. I know they have apparentky fixed it now, but my friend got a new one about 6 months ago (after his first one broke) and his has just done it again. Mine also overheated, after about 6 monts of purchsing it. So I gave it away in the end. It made me paranoid about everything electrical i own for a while, my dvd player gets well hot, and the ps3 gets pretty hot too, but I think there is something like a 3% failure rate on the ps3. Anywway, I've had it a year now.

I think the ps3 is great, it just feels much more polished, and better put together, with the touch sensors and the lack of disc tray and stuff. I would never get an xbox agian after what happened, lost all faith, but i guess if it still worked I wouldn't feel this way.

There's enough good games out for it now, for sure, I'm still playing GTA 4 and call of duty 4, which after all this time makes 1800 baht seem like money well spent.

My second 360 just RROD's me so I now have 2. I tried to repair the first one using the heat gun methos. it worked for about a week then died. the second one lasted about a year. Both times it happened after my kids left it on overnight. I will try to repare this one using the rubber mounts on the X ring. I have a ton of games and I am addicted to it so if I cant fix it I'll probably get a newer one that hopefully doent have the RROD fault.

For those who posted that they now have a Xbox360 brick, with the RROD then you should know that Microsoft are repairing them all free. Even those out of guarantee. Just give them a call and they will sort out collection of the brick and delivery of the new one.

Chris

For those who posted that they now have a Xbox360 brick, with the RROD then you should know that Microsoft are repairing them all free. Even those out of guarantee. Just give them a call and they will sort out collection of the brick and delivery of the new one.

Chris

Good point - so if you don't mod your 360, e.g. no "backup" games, then RROD is a minor inconvenience only.

Chris

Good point - so if you don't mod your 360, e.g. no "backup" games, then RROD is a minor inconvenience only.

I guess that counts me out! has anyone seen the Xbox 360 V3 - 65nm chips with the falcon Mobo? Supose to run a lot cooler.

Chris

I'd hardly consider shipping a busted xbox off to microsoft (on your own dime i'm assuming) and waiting months to get it back a "minor inconvenience"

Chris

Nice advice.. Just not much use.

Thailand is not an officially supported sales country so theres no warranty repair offered here.. You could of course post it back to a supported country and have it done there.. Then post it back (suffering the import duty problem again).. But that would probably cost as much as a new one !!

If you get a 360, check out the serial number sticker on the box and find the PSU power rating. If it's 203W dont touch it, if it's 174W it's the newer design with the 65nm CPU. Sadly the GPU is the same and the most common RROR culprit, so i'm waiting to replace my currently naked, self repaired, dead DVD 360 with the new motherboards due in a few months....

whats the warranty on these consoles?

Chris

thats just wrong. you pay for shipping no matter what. the best you could do is maybe 12000 baht. and dont forget, you might be getting back a freakin refurbished 360!!!

to make a long story short: if you have a 360 here and happen to get rrod, youre fuc_ked. end of story. in the states, i got rrod once, took it to best buy and walked out with a new one in 10 mins. different world here, my friends.

Edited by samsara

Had 3 different PAL 360's RROD on me since launch

Took me ages to find a place to get them fixed here but since I got them fixed (and chipped at the same time) they have all run flawlessly

I have had my PS3 since launch and this has not had any problems whatsoever

Both consoles have great games but I do like the better variety and franchises of the Sony games compared to the 360

The new Metal Gear Solid is now in MBK and I've been playing it during lunch... completely bonkers storyline like the other games but still brilliant so far (am about 1hr in)