Window Xp Professional Sp3

billd766

Sorry, I don't think he wants that one. That is a HUGE download for developers.

I went to the Windows Update site. When the SLOW loading update page came up, I chose Custom and it offered SP 3. They download must not have been that big because my EDGE Internet downloaded it and installed it within less than an hour. The download and install were flawless and my computer is working great. If SP 3 doesn't come up, type SP 3 in the search box.

Sorry, I don't think he wants that one. That is a HUGE download for developers.

I went to the Windows Update site. When the SLOW loading update page came up, I chose Custom and it offered SP 3. They download must not have been that big because my EDGE Internet downloaded it and installed it within less than an hour. The download and install were flawless and my computer is working great. If SP 3 doesn't come up, type SP 3 in the search box.

Hi Gary I looked there but I didn't see.

I will look again in the morning.

Cheers

Bill

I finally managed to download SP 3 but I still couldnt find it on the official site until I downloaded yet another MS program first.

After about an hours downloading using EDGE my PC crashed so I rebooted it and re downloaded the program. It took about 1 1/2 hours but now it is in and running and so far I have seen no difference.

On the other hand since I installed it the program has not crashed either.

Now how long should I wait until Vista is ...................

I finally managed to download SP 3 but I still couldnt find it on the official site until I downloaded yet another MS program first.

After about an hours downloading using EDGE my PC crashed so I rebooted it and re downloaded the program. It took about 1 1/2 hours but now it is in and running and so far I have seen no difference.

I'm going to wait for Vista service pack 2 before I give up XP Pro. I put up with a thousand updates and three service packs. Now that XP Pro is working great, I can see no reason to change.

I'm going to wait for Vista service pack 2 before I give up XP Pro. I put up with a thousand updates and three service packs. Now that XP Pro is working great, I can see no reason to change.

That seems like a fair plan. I think I will do the same but I did find another thread about vista this morning which didn't tell me that much.

Sorry it was actually this one.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=192997&hl= about SP3 fixes

Edited by billd766

• 1 month later...

I just received the notification that SP3 for my XP Pro is ready to download.

I have an Acer laptop and installed an out-of-the-box XP PRo with SP3 before. Result was that drivers for W-LAN and other parts of my laptop could not be installed. With SP2 everything works fine.

Question to the experts...stay away from the download or will my laptop cotinue working as flawless as it does at the moment? Will it affect future updtes?

Guest Reimar
I just received the notification that SP3 for my XP Pro is ready to download.

I have an Acer laptop and installed an out-of-the-box XP PRo with SP3 before. Result was that drivers for W-LAN and other parts of my laptop could not be installed. With SP2 everything works fine.

Question to the experts...stay away from the download or will my laptop cotinue working as flawless as it does at the moment? Will it affect future updtes?

If the Laptop is cabable to run Vista, I would move to that OS!

I know, many wouldn't, mainly in luck of knowledge and none experiences how to work with an new OS or even just from reading the bad comments while the good one never interesting! The bad news at all times the most interesting one! That's human nature!

But Vista is the most secure and stable OS from Microsoft ever!

That's just my 2 Satang's from my experiences!

Cheers.

I got a laptop installed with Vista and it was ssslllooowww. I gave it a full week, trying to get to terms with the slowness and the many changes "under the hood" but after that I gave up and installed XP on it. Never regretted that and not going to switch to Vista until there are no other options.

SP3 does not offer any advantage for home users, other then the security updates that are part of this service pack, of course if you have kept your PC up to date using Microsoft Update, then you would already have those as well. Also new security updates are being deployed to SP2 machines as well.

Having said that, there might be a point in time, where Microsoft could require SP3 in order for you to receive support. So that would be the reason to install SP3.

For business users, there are actually a few new features, most notably the NAP (Network Access Protection) Client.

As for upgrading to Vista, yes it is a better and more secure OS, but you might as well wait until you are going to buy a new machine, and purchase Vista on that new machine. Unless of course you are a techy and OS enthusiast such as me, then you might want to upgrade.

If the Laptop is cabable to run Vista, I would move to that OS!

I definitely wouldn't.

I know, many wouldn't, mainly in luck of knowledge and none experiences how to work with an new OS

No, I know what I'm doing. And I wouldn't because Vista doesn't really offer enough new or needed features to make it worth the time and expense, including possible hardware upgrades.

The OP might well find, like Phil Conners in the post above, he then just wants to uninstall Vista (after all that) and go back to XP. It's hardly uncommon. The OP is happy w/ his XP (as most users are finally, after 7 years of fixes) and doesn't need a headache or to pay for expense of having that headache. The question is, Service Pack 3 or not.

No, I know what I'm doing. And I wouldn't because Vista doesn't really offer enough new or needed features to make it worth the time and expense, including possible hardware upgrades.

The OP might well find, like Phil Conners in the post above, he then just wants to uninstall Vista (after all that) and go back to XP. It's hardly uncommon. The OP is happy w/ his XP (as most users are finally, after 7 years of fixes) and doesn't need a headache or to pay for expense of having that headache. The question is, Service Pack 3 or not.

you got my point! :o

I am happy (and used to!) XP and see no point upgrading to an OS that is potentially slower. XP runs stable enough for me, actually I had no issues with BSOD since SP2.

The big question was...will an SP3 installation screw up my drivers or not? Installing the drivers AFTER SP3 was installed did not work properly. But installing the drivers first and SP3 later....wil it work or not?

NB and no offense: I run here a business and not a computer research center...I have not the patience, time and money to uninstall, re-install, tweak around with computers that I need for my daily job :D

I installed SP3 just over a week ago. The installation knocked out the sound driver to my external speakers and I had to reload that driver to regain the sound system. Other than that everything else seems to be running ok.

you got my point! :o

I am happy (and used to!) XP and see no point upgrading to an OS that is potentially slower. XP runs stable enough for me, actually I had no issues with BSOD since SP2.

The big question was...will an SP3 installation screw up my drivers or not? Installing the drivers AFTER SP3 was installed did not work properly. But installing the drivers first and SP3 later....wil it work or not?

NB and no offense: I run here a business and not a computer research center...I have not the patience, time and money to uninstall, re-install, tweak around with computers that I need for my daily job :D

Let's just say that without knowing your exact configuration, it would be impossible to answer that question. Like I said before, unless you use NAP, there is no real need to move to SP3, other then the possiblity that Microsoft might require it in due time, if you want to receive support from them.

What I can tell you is that I have upgraded several PC's at my workplace to SP3 without any problems, of course like in most businesses these configurations are pretty standard (as in identical machines). Or maybe minor rivisions in hardware over time.

I Duel boot Vista + XP Pro…

Vista is much faster,

I have to have XP as one of the big Servers I use has not been upgraded and will not run in Vista I did ask the Company, they said they were not upgrading their Server yet

I got a laptop installed with Vista and it was ssslllooowww. I gave it a full week, trying to get to terms with the slowness and the many changes "under the hood" but after that I gave up and installed XP on it. Never regretted that and not going to switch to Vista until there are no other options.

Hi Phil,

Just curious as to what version of Vista it was? The reason I ask is I have run both Home Premium and Ultimate and had very different results from the two. Whereas I have found the Ultimate version to be very stable, no dramas and quite snappy with a bit of fiddling, the Home Premium has been the complete opposite and would turn anyone off using Vista at all. It would be interesting to see how many other people were having problems with the Home Premium version as opposed to the Ultimate.

Cheers

Jimmy

Re SP3.......... be sure you do not run_work with anything that is not compatible with Net framework 3

Many large Companies still run there Microsoft SQL Servers on the old version, YOU CANNOT OPEN them in SP3 as it uses Net framework 3

Guest Reimar

Interesting comment!

The OP is happy w/ his XP (as most users are finally, after 7 years of fixes) and doesn't need a headache or to pay for expense of having that headache.

Just was need 7 years (!) of fixes to get an OS to an stage where the new one (Vista) pass that stage after a bit more than a year already!

Ok, everone who like that old OS to run on an todays hardware with limited support to that new hardware, should go ahead because isn't you and me who (can) dictate what to use and from my person I wouldnt! But accept that all experiences differs from each other!

Just to clarify, I do NOT suggest to use Vista on hardware which isn't supported, for that XP and even maybe Win2000 is much better!

Cheers.

Some people NEVER learn. If you don't know what you are doing, DON'T mess with it. In an effort to bring my Thinkpad laptop to tip top running condition, I updated a lot of drivers and also installed and uninstalled some things.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a laptop that had many problems and many things that didn't work. I ended up restoring it to the original factory settings. That wiped out everything and I had to start over.

So far this seems off topic but it isn't. I tried to install SP 3 and it wouldn't install. I was planning on SP 3 bringing everything else up to date. I had to download maybe a hundred updates and even update Windows Explorer which I don't use. It appears that unless you computer is totally updated that SP 3 simply won't install. Everything worked out OK but it took a day and a half for the downloads and installations. When I downloaded SP 3 the first time, both computers had no problems but were both up to date using automatic Microsoft updates.

"So far this seems off topic but it isn't. I tried to install SP 3 and it wouldn't install. I was planning on SP 3 bringing everything else up to date. I had to download maybe a hundred updates and even update Windows Explorer which I don't use. It appears that unless you computer is totally updated that SP 3 simply won't install."

I guess you didn't use MS update for quite some time before you tried to install SP3. You really need to do this, not only for XP or Vista, it's equally important for Ubuntu, Suse, Leopard or whatever OS you run. Vulnerabilities are discovered on an ongoing basis and these need to be fixed by updates. That you for instance don't use IE, is besides the point, as a Windows user, you have these binairies on your system, so they need to be fixed. Microsoft publishes updates for it's operating systems each second tuesday of the month, so either you visit microsoft update around that time, or enable automatic updates to download these updates automatically, for added security, you could set it to not install them automatically, so that you can decide what updates to install at which time.

"So far this seems off topic but it isn't. I tried to install SP 3 and it wouldn't install. I was planning on SP 3 bringing everything else up to date. I had to download maybe a hundred updates and even update Windows Explorer which I don't use. It appears that unless you computer is totally updated that SP 3 simply won't install."

I guess you didn't use MS update for quite some time before you tried to install SP3. You really need to do this, not only for XP or Vista, it's equally important for Ubuntu, Suse, Leopard or whatever OS you run. Vulnerabilities are discovered on an ongoing basis and these need to be fixed by updates. That you for instance don't use IE, is besides the point, as a Windows user, you have these binairies on your system, so they need to be fixed. Microsoft publishes updates for it's operating systems each second tuesday of the month, so either you visit microsoft update around that time, or enable automatic updates to download these updates automatically, for added security, you could set it to not install them automatically, so that you can decide what updates to install at which time.

I guess you didn't read the entire post.

Quote:

"I ended up restoring it to the original factory settings. That wiped out everything and I had to start over".

"When I downloaded SP 3 the first time, both computers had no problems but were both up to date using automatic Microsoft updates".

End quotes.

ok..I solved this one today with a Vista Ultimate installation.

First impression is quite good.....as for the speed it is maybe a bit early to say something but I had already a successful system freeze for almost 5 minutes after all drivers were installed :o

approx. 10 hours of tweaking later, I found out that Vista is indeed quite slow.

A phone call to a trustworthy computer geek and moderator :o sorted something: Get rid of the NOD antivir and give AGV a try....yep! That one did it! Speed increased significantly but still 57% RAM used....having Outlook 2007, Groove and Firefox 3.0 with 11 tabs open.

Will report back tomorrow when we start WORKING with this come.....working means here some 20 windows open and at least as many tabs in firefox...all for business purpose of course...