Vehicle Registration & Insurance

spliff

What are your payments for the following?

Mine is as follows:

Insurance = 19,000THB

yearly registration = 8,000THB

I ask cause the registration seems a little high to me...how much are you all paying for 4x4, 3+litre engines, 4door vehicles?

Me the same, 2004 isuzu Dmax 4x4 Cab4 highlander 3 litre t/deisel, insurance a litle cheaper at 16,000 baht, i think most places are the same, i do the insurance through the dealer as it is a new motor, but next year going to shop around.

Hmmm...yeah the wife just emailed me the reciepts and for the year I'm gonna pay around 27,000k, in the same ballpark as you two. Bloody expensive! I didn't pay that much back stateside (but I didn't carry full coverage either)...oh well, what the ###### :o Thnax for the replies!

Easy to check the reg fee.

Look at the log book, it shows how much has been paid each year.

A 3 litre engine vehicle will be more expensive.

Full insurance sound about right, but you can always shop around

before the next renewal

About the same for me. My insurance for the second year was a few thousand baht less than the first year....

That is called a no-claims bonus.

Generally only available to farangs, as Thais keep hitting each other.

Had a Nissan NV for almost seven years (hahahahaha!). Insurance 1250 Baht and registration/taxes 600 Baht.

Good car, bought it second hand for 120 thousand and sold it finally for 120 thousand (yes, for the same). Drove about 75 thousand km. Good car. However I had to change the battery a couple of years ago and two tyres.

And sometimes I had to change oil, they told me, so I did it once a year for 450 Baht. Two times I even changed the oil-filter as a kind of reward for the silly thing.

Now I bought a bigger one, silly me.

Hi, it silly me again. I am really punished for having a bigger car now (a Ford Mondeo XLS 2 liter). I pay 2170 Baht tax now. That's quite a little bit more than the 600 I paid for the Nissan NV. I think it is because it is a 4-doors sedan type of car

A little comfort I find in the fact that I got a cheaper insurance. That is now only 750 Baht. The thieves charged me 1250 for the NV insurance.

Just a reminder that if you obtain a letter from your insurer from your previous country of residence, confirming your no claims bonus, the discount will be honoured by the Thai based arm of multinational insurance companies. I'm not sure if a Thai owned insurance company would comply. A word of warning, some posts quoting prices seem not to have 1st Class insurance, with Bail Bond. As you know this is essential for a falang car driver.

A word of warning, some posts quoting prices seem not to have 1st Class insurance, with Bail Bond. As you know this is essential for a falang car driver.

I've been told that if a car is more than 7 years old, you can't get 1st class insurance...

I obtained 1 class with Bail Bond for a 10 year old pickup. Insurance via AIG agent. Had a minor accident, not my fault, and AIG handled the whole repair process without any delay or issue/s

A word of warning, some posts quoting prices seem not to have 1st Class insurance, with Bail Bond. As you know this is essential for a falang car driver.

I've been told that if a car is more than 7 years old, you can't get 1st class insurance...

I obtained 1 class with Bail Bond for a 10 year old pickup. Insurance via AIG agent. Had a minor accident, not my fault, and AIG handled the whole repair process without any delay or issue/s

And did that include the Theft Insurance? I was told the above was true because of the extremely high incidence, in the past, of insurance fraud on older vehicles, i.e., people would buy 1st class insurance for one year on an old vehicle (often a clunker, they reported in the newspapers then), then drive it across some border and sell it, later reporting the theft for full reimbursement that was the same, or higher value of the car...

Maybe it's that some places still do offer the full package for older vehicles, or maybe they've wittled it down to be more like second-class insurance, but with a higher price to you, still labled as '1st class' :o

Beware the figures Limbo was quoting (1250 and 750 baht)

are for the government Tor Ror Bor third party insurance

and covers people only up to a value of 80K if they die.

The figure of 1250 for a pickup was correct, as Thai's typically overload the

back with people. Cars are not so easy to overload, hence the cheaper premium.

Any Farang should consider getting the full Third Party cover at the very least.

That covers human injury and the other guy's car repairs.

It also means the Insurance company will take over and handle the matter for you.

I can't see why there should be an age limit for 1st class cover,

it just means the 1st party risk is reduced.

But then this is Thailand so all things are possible. :o

Edited by astral

I can't see why there should be an age limit for 1st class cover,

it just means the 1st party risk is reduced.

But then this is Thailand so all things are possible. :o

There is really no specific age limit. It is just that for economic reasons some insurers are more reluctant than others to insure older vehicles. Premiums go down each year in part because the insured value of a vehicle also goes down due to depreciation. The cost of accident repairs usually does not decrease. At some point it no longer makes economic sense for an insurance company to provide physical damage cover, so some insurers won't offer it for older cars.

And did that include the Theft Insurance? I was told...

Yes, full 1st class cover. including the 200,000 bail bond cover. The contract is in English from AIG so I understand what I bought. The cost for a Toyota Tiger 2002, cover for 400,00 baht was 11,000 baht. I would not buy 3rd party due to to much risk on the Thai roads,

Because you all know more about cars than I do!!!

When I start my Ford Mondeo it looks like a christmas tree inside. A lot of small lamps start to blink. Luckywise they stop doing so after some seconds.

Only the one with a little figure with a safety belt and a kind of balloon in front of itself goes on and on and on.

It is quite irritating so I put a little piece of black tape on it and now it don't see it anymore.

This naughty lamp started doing so after the car got very hot in the mountains.

Is it a good idea to put more oil in the automatic gear/transmission box if you often drive in maybe 20% or more mountains?