Moving On - To Pad Or Not To Pad?

thaigene2

If the democratically elected Government determines it is time the PAD demonstration should stop blocking the public freeways/roads?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

PAD should no longer be encouraged to interupt and intimidate pre-school and primary school students. The schools should be allowed to stay open and students allowed to attend classes. The PAD is a disgrace and bullying youngsters is disgusting!

The PAD is certainly not bullying youngsters!!! The PAD need to be allowed to have a voice in this Thai country where so much rubbish goes on in Government and Democracy is a joke. Thailand is a pathetic example of SE Asian countries gone West and can't keep up with it, at least the PAD remind us that there is diversity in the world and challenges can and will be made when the population don't like what is happening. If everyone sat back and said 'I'm pissed off because I can't get my kid to school' what sort of place do you think you would be living in?

We need diversity and conversations about democracy... that is how the world survives

"Not be forced by police to leave the area despite a warning by the authorities who then use reasonable force"

This does not make sense. Which is it? Use force or don't use force? Clarification is needed.

The PAD should be allowed to make their point and protest peacefully as should any other citizen in a democracy. However when that protest impacts on the lives and livelyhood of others one has to ask just how far do democratic freedoms go?

But I read that the government has bought off farmers who threatened to blockade four national highways as a protest over rice prices.

So the government caves in to the rice farmers but stands firm against the PAD. Well this is to be expected, the government rolls over for it's friends but growls threatenly at it's critics. Although we probably can all relate to this position of looking after your friends a democratic government's responsibility is to look after it's, the nation's, people whatever side of the political divide they are on and whatever their social class. Unfortunately this typifies the style of Thai governments, look after your own and to hel_l with the rest.

So, to answer the question "should the PAD be moved on using reasonable force?". Yes, but only after all avenues of discussion and persuasion have been exhausted. Although I am a great supporter of democratic rights a line has to be drawn when the exercising of those rights by a minority effects the lives of the majority.

The big problem comes in the definition of "reasonable force" and Thailand has been down that road before with tragic consequences.

The PAD is certainly not bullying youngsters!!! The PAD need to be allowed to have a voice in this Thai country where so much rubbish goes on in Government and Democracy is a joke. Thailand is a pathetic example of SE Asian countries gone West and can't keep up with it, at least the PAD remind us that there is diversity in the world and challenges can and will be made when the population don't like what is happening. If everyone sat back and said 'I'm pissed off because I can't get my kid to school' what sort of place do you think you would be living in?

We need diversity and conversations about democracy... that is how the world survives

Well said Nampeung! I totally agree with all your post.

What a crap poll, where is the option to say 'The PAD should stand their ground until change happens in the current corrupt government'?

Then run your own poll and ask that question. However I suspect your poll choices would read:

Should the PAD stand their ground until change happens in the current corrupt government?

OR

Should the PAD stand their ground until change happens in the current corrupt government?

Jing?

Edited by thaigene2

Fully agree - can we also discuss patronage systems?

you can discuss whatever you want so long as it stays within forum rules.

And there are many areas of society in Thailand where the patronage system exists

Fully agree - can we also discuss patronage systems?

you can discuss whatever you want so long as it stays within forum rules.

And there are many areas of society in Thailand where the patronage system exists

Apparently not true Samran, as The Economist magazine report on the Thai Patrongae system was just yanked off the board by other Mods on the News Clippings thread. A bit too "senstitive" to talk about elites and their patronage system apparently..Especially in the harsh glare of the straight-speaking international media..

What a crap poll, where is the option to say 'The PAD should stand their ground until change happens in the current corrupt government'?

Then run your own poll and ask that question. However I suspect your poll choices would read:

OR

Jing?

:o

So it'd basically be the opposite of your poll.