New To Chiangmai

BkkJones

Hi All, I've been posted to Chiangmai and will be flying over in a couple of weeks, and I am totally lost as I have never been to Chiangmai. I need some advice as to where I can get my necessities as the websites usually show tourist info.

I'll be looking for a place, about 3- 5km radius from the city.

1) I have 2 cats, where can I get pet supplies from?

2) Any recommendations for car tents as I need to get a car.

3) Has anybody rented/bought a house through jasminehomes.co.th, are they reliable?

4) Where is a good place to get local produce, proper farmers' markets, not touristy night markets.

5) Does nokair or other domestic flights allow pets onboard? or is it a better bet to drive them from bkk?

I need all the help I can get. Thank you for your time.

Hi All, I've been posted to Chiangmai and will be flying over in a couple of weeks, and I am totally lost as I have never been to Chiangmai. I need some advice as to where I can get my necessities as the websites usually show tourist info.

There are large supermarkets (Carrefour, Lotus, Tops) and smaller pet shops with supplies. If your cats have special tastes, bring extra from BKK.

2) Any recommendations for car tents as I need to get a car.

Not sure what a car tent is, sorry.

3) Has anybody rented/bought a house through jasminehomes.co.th, are they reliable?

Don't know. Foreigners can't buy houses, only condos. Local landlords and landladies are not always keen on pets.

Do you know where you will be working ? Some people may be able to suggest good areas to consider for housing (perhaps even have a place for rent).

4) Where is a good place to get local produce, proper farmers' markets, not touristy night markets.

There are various such markets. One has exclusively organic products. (Someone help with specifics, pls.)

5) Does nokair or other domestic flights allow pets onboard? or is it a better bet to drive them from bkk?

Thai air allow small pets inside the cabin, beside you (in a pet carrier, of course :o ) . They may be happier in a car, but it's a long drive. You know your pets best.

Good luck, and keep asking your questions.

Edited by sylviex

Thank you sylviex

My company is around Tasala but i'm looking to rent a place around sam kampaeng.

I'm thinking it would be best to drive since I'll be in bkk for a day so i can buy cat supplies without worrying about the baggage limits on flights.

In bkk they have these small places where they sell 2nd hand cars, i think they call it car tents, i guess in chiangmai its just a company on its own.

There is an area south of Kam Tieng market with lots of tents. You won't have much trouble finding it once you arrive.

Thank you sylviex

My company is around Tasala but i'm looking to rent a place around sam kampaeng.

I'm thinking it would be best to drive since I'll be in bkk for a day so i can buy cat supplies without worrying about the baggage limits on flights.

In bkk they have these small places where they sell 2nd hand cars, i think they call it car tents, i guess in chiangmai its just a company on its own.

[...]

I need all the help I can get. Thank you for your time.

I'll stick to questions 1 and 5 as cats are a specialty of mine :o

1/ I doubt that there is any brand of cat food or other supplies available in Bangkok that you cannot get in Chiang Mai. One well stocked pet supplies shop is in the ground floor parking area of Central Airport Plaza, the biggest shopping mall in town.

5/ I would advise you to check with the airline, some don't accept pets in the passenger cabin, some are limited to one or two animals in the whole cabin. I have personally flown Thai Airways with one cat, when we brought four they had to fly as special cargo.

/ Priceless

PS If you have more questions about cats, feel free to PM me if you want to.

I was thinking bkkjones was currently in Bangkok, but not sure now. If coming in from another country you will need vaccination papers etc for your pets, who will get a quick inspection at BKK airport.

I can't remember if Thai air will accept one or two small pets per person. I think only one. The info is on their website. You could, I am sure, discuss taking two with Thai Air. I suspect they wouldn't mind much if space is available. Perhaps you could book two seats or make a deal with another passenger :o . You need to notify the airline beforehand, in any case. The pets have to be under a certain weight to be allowed in the cabin.

Thinking about it, I imagine Priceless is correct in saying what is available in BKK is likely to be the same as what's available in CM. So, if flying in via BKK, might be simpler to just keep going up to CM. The flight's only an hour or so.

I was thinking bkkjones was currently in Bangkok, but not sure now. If coming in from another country you will need vaccination papers etc for your pets, who will get a quick inspection at BKK airport.

I can't remember if Thai air will accept one or two small pets per person. I think only one. The info is on their website. You could, I am sure, discuss taking two with Thai Air. I suspect they wouldn't mind much if space is available. Perhaps you could book two seats or make a deal with another passenger :o . You need to notify the airline beforehand, in any case. The pets have to be under a certain weight to be allowed in the cabin.

Thinking about it, I imagine Priceless is correct in saying what is available in BKK is likely to be the same as what's available in CM. So, if flying in via BKK, might be simpler to just keep going up to CM. The flight's only an hour or so.

I've sorted out the paperwork for my 2 cats, so I'm good to go for Bkk by thai air, just that I have not yet booked a flight to chiang mai. I'm guessing I'll have to take a minibus up to CM as I'll probably have to get pet supplies and other stuff before heading up.

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic...I would suggest that you start with a short term rental (if you can find one that you like).

If you are flying into Bangkok on Thai then why not book yourself straight through to Chiang Mai on a Thai connecting flight - not the cheapest but painless. Bring a few days worth of cat food with you if your baggage allowance will take it and then, as mentioned above, visit any of the supermarkets for further supplies.

Good luck!

Priceless is correct that most of the pet supply that you can get in BKK you can also get in CM. If you come across a special item that you can't gt in CM, then you can always order it from BKK and they send it to you. I can give you two addresses, if you need them.

Most supermarkets sells pet food, but it is of low quality.

There is one petshop that sells high, medium and low quality pet foods, cat toys, beds, toilets, scratch poles etc. and that is Ran Raksat Overseas Petshop. One branch is located in the parkinglot of Airport Plaza, as Priceless already mentioned, and the other branch is a big shop in between the Makro and Carrefour along the Superhighway, which is for both Sankhampeang and Tasala the closest branch.

There are severral fairly good vets in CM.

Priceless, the cat expert, goes to Dr. Nook Animal Hospital: 053 818 905 , 081 883 5430, and I already for years go with my own and my dog and cat boarders to Ban Mha ka Meaw Animal Hospital: 053 204 215. Both speak good English.

Thai Airways has allowed more than one pets in the recent past. If your cats are allowed in the cabin I don't know.

There is one official at Chiang Mai International Airport who tends to ask rediculous high prices as import tax or for whatever comes up in that mind. Maybe better to clear your cats in BKK.

Priceless with his many years of (gorgeous) cats' experience is a good source to ask all sorts of cat questions. :o

Nienke

Priceless is correct that most of the pet supply that you can get in BKK you can also get in CM. If you come across a special item that you can't gt in CM, then you can always order it from BKK and they send it to you. I can give you two addresses, if you need them.

Most supermarkets sells pet food, but it is of low quality.

There is one petshop that sells high, medium and low quality pet foods, cat toys, beds, toilets, scratch poles etc. and that is Ran Raksat Overseas Petshop. One branch is located in the parkinglot of Airport Plaza, as Priceless already mentioned, and the other branch is a big shop in between the Makro and Carrefour along the Superhighway, which is for both Sankhampeang and Tasala the closest branch.

There are severral fairly good vets in CM.

Priceless, the cat expert, goes to Dr. Nook Animal Hospital: 053 818 905 , 081 883 5430, and I already for years go with my own and my dog and cat boarders to Ban Mha ka Meaw Animal Hospital: 053 204 215. Both speak good English.

Thai Airways has allowed more than one pets in the recent past. If your cats are allowed in the cabin I don't know.

There is one official at Chiang Mai International Airport who tends to ask rediculous high prices as import tax or for whatever comes up in that mind. Maybe better to clear your cats in BKK.

Priceless with his many years of (gorgeous) cats' experience is a good source to ask all sorts of cat questions. :D

Nienke

Such kind words! I'm blushing :D:o:D

/ Priceless