Jabberwocky Sailing Club Sausages

Ulysses G.

A friend dropped by an assortment of Jabberwocky Sailing Club Sausages and today I tried the "Number One" sausages and was most impressed. I thought that they were even better than Yorkies which I really enjoy.

I can't wait to try some of the other ones!

Edited by p1p

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye gods! What a name!

If I saw those in my local Lotus, I'd guess they were made from fish!

Seriously though, I do miss the taste of a good English banger, love to know what other members rate as their best buy.

I think you will find the name is Jabberwocky Sailing Club and it refers to the most famous nonsense poem in the English Language, The Jabberwocky from "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" by the Rev. Charles L. Dodgson, aka Lewis Caroll

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun

The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:

Long time the manxome foe he sought --

So rested he by the Tumtum tree,

And stood awhile in thought

And as in uffish thought he stood,

The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,

Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,

And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! and through and through

The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

He left it dead, and with its head

He went galumphing back.

"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?

Come to my arms, my beamish boy!

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"

He chortled in his joy.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:

All mimsy were the borogoves,

And the mome raths outgrabe.

To date the premium quality sausages are made to private order for members of the club and are (sometimes) available through Dacheeso. The phone number is on the packets.

He is also the black sheep of the family. :o

If he is indeed such a very aristocratic Englishman, I would expect him to demur with a mild 'Nay'.

I would have thought "Bah" rather than "Neigh"!

Not only do I concur re the bangers, especially the "No 1" and spicey "tomato, garlic & herbs" variety, I also personally found that I liked every 'Black Sheep of the Family' I have ever met.

Toby Bonham (paid to stay away by the other auctioneers) and Matthew Swire of the Cathay Pacific lot (last seen years ago as partner at Jools Bar, Soi Nana, Sukhumvit) and several others, mainly less famous.

Perhaps the Chef of Jaberwhatsit should experiment with a lamb sausage complemented by lots of black pepper? 'The Black Sheep', of course.

If he is indeed such a very aristocratic Englishman, I would expect him to demur with a mild 'Nay'.

I would have thought "Bah" rather than "Neigh"!

Only possible if one overlooks the profound equinimity of the English aristocrat. :D

Has Rasseru been tuning into these webcam scenes, too ? I think he means equanimity :o .

No, I don't mean 'equanimity', although I am making a bad pun based on the word (confession time: I adore bad puns). Think 'equine', 'neigh' and the reputation that some English lords and ladies have for resembling the four-legged critters on the backs of which they love (or used to love) to pursue hounds chasing foxes.

Ah :D ! How bovine of me (regarding equinimity).

I thought perhaps you were going to say it was asinine of me (as indeed it was). :D

No, we should get back to the real topic here. The info on the bangers needs more fleshing out :D . I'll get off your case :o:D now.

Ah :D ! How bovine of me (regarding equinimity).

I thought perhaps you were going to say it was asinine of me (as indeed it was). :D

No, we should get back to the real topic here. The info on the bangers needs more fleshing out :D . I'll get off your case :o:D now.

I agree, and will join you in taking it porcinally.

I have now tried four varieties over a week and enjoyed them all except for the spicy one that seemed to actually burn my mouth, but people who enjoy spicy food will probably love that one.

I hope more Brits will seek them out and give their opinion, but the English friends that I gave samples to all professed to be impressed. :o

I hope more Brits will seek them out and give their opinion, but the English friends that I gave samples to all professed to be impressed. :o

You may have put your finger on an important distinction. Interesting to consider that whereas the English are famed to a fault for being polite, the reputations of the Scots, Welsh, Irish and Cornish are not so blemished.

I have also been lucky enough to experience the Jabber sausages. They are probably the best I can remember tasting since I was a young child. Meaty, juicy and full of flavour.

I found the Lincolnshire sausages brought back the strongest childhood memories, but the tomato, the spicy crab sausage and the chorizo are nothing short of amazing. The andoullie is a bit small though and could do with a bit more smoke.

We already have a Sausage King whose sausages are mostly okay. I vote the Jabber should be proclaimed Sausage God!

I tried the sausages. It was pork and an excellent version of the British art it was. My only caution to cooking them is to cook them over a low flame because unlike the usual pork sausage these are stuffed full and if you cook them too quick they will burst. Cook them like your good ol gran did, over a low flame. My personal preference was to cook them with bacon until the bacon was done to taste then drape the bacon on top of the sausages. The fat from the bacon cooked the sausage, then keeping the bacon on top of the bangers kept them hot without burning them. When ready pull the lot out and drain on paper towel, cover with a bowl to keep warm. With a second wad of paper towel, wipe most of the fat, cook the eggs, onion and mushrooms etc.

With some gravy or for the lazy tomato/HP sauce and mash potato with toast and tea, it is food enough to start an Empire

enjoy

CB