Jabberwocky Sailing Club Sausages

Ulysses G.

You are right that I'm not British, but I do have a pretty good set of tastebuds in general and also a few English friends that I spend a lot of time with who give me their impressions and they gave me a thumbs up on Jabberwocky. As for myself, they taste good to me, but I admit that I am no expert on bangers. I just know what I like.

Crowboy is an Aussie. His forefathers were banished to Oz for stealing prime English sausages, so he knows! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only sausages in Pattaya that I tasted that may have been up to Jabberwocky's standard were Yorkies. The rest were not very inspiring. :o

Not being funny UG but you are not english correct ??? so how do you know what constitutes a good english banger ??? yorkies is OK but not the real thing have not had the chance of tasting a Jabberwoky as yet and will certainly post my experience once I do

not sure where crow boy is from

P.S I will be heading down that way around 13th july Cboy happy to deliver

I always find this attitude sad. To think that a person may not be able to appreciate a food item if he is not from the originating country would be laughable if it was not almost bigoted, and totally untrue. Can you, as a Britisher, not know what a good Thai curry should taste like? A pizza? A hamburger?

Personally I would contend that anybody under say, 50 years old, is unlikely to have tasted a good British banger anyway, at least unless they have tried a Jabberwotsit. The jabbering sausages are the first I have tasted in about 40 years that stand up to the sausage standards of my youth.

Edited by Al Trego

I wanted to post this already a long time.

What is the use of promoting something if you don't know if, when and where you can buy it?

If you read the thread, you will find these questions are fully answered.

I wanted to post this already a long time.

What is the use of promoting something if you don't know if, when and where you can buy it?

You may have a point related to something but.... this thread does provide information about if, when and where to buy the sausages which are the topic of the thread. I used the information and bought some which were quite good. I will buy them again soon.

Thanks to those who provided the information.

Brief note - If you want to taste some of the Jabberwocky sausages.

Make haste down to Tuskers where they will be a feature of the Tuesday, (tomorrow) night Barbecue.

You won't even have to cook them yourself!

See Milton Bentley's post above for details.

Ok, I want to order 2 kgs of each, Chef.

Please tell me if, where and when.

I pay in cash.

The best place to purchase small quantities like 2Kg is from Dacheso. The details are further up in this thread. If you don't want to collect, they deliver and are happy to accept cash.

I need to restrict trade orders to a minimum of between 7 - 10 Kilos of a particular variety, because I have to make to order and I do not have much refrigerated storage at present. (When I make them, I deliver them to Dacheso who finish packaging them and store them in their huge refrigerators.)

Fiscalist - The following has been posted and quoted earlier in this thread. Last by Sabaijai in post #49

The current range of sausages are all premium, old fashioned styles of sausage with a high meat content. They are made by hand utilising the best available ingredients and only natural casings, (skins.) All sausages are made using flowers of the sea salt and contain no chemical flavours, colours or preservatives. They are chilled and individually frozen after being made and wrapped in clingfilm. The film wrapped individual sausages are then packed in approximately 450-500 gram punnets. The punnets are individually priced by net weight. Most retail at 290 Baht per Kilo, the crab and pork sausage is 390. Other sausages to follow, (duck, venison, lamb, beef etc.) will be priced differently.

When cooking, they require extra care and must be cooked over a low heat, turning occasionally until they are a gentle golden brown. Do not prick them or they will burst, as they will do if the heat is too high.

The current range include the following, (all are made from Pork unless stated otherwise:

* No.1 English sausage. A copy of an old fashioned butcher's breakfast sausage with subtle flavours of Lemon Verbena, Thyme, Sage, peppers and other herbs and spices.

* (Almost) Traditional English Lincolnshire sausage with the flavours of sage and black, white and green peppers plus other spices and herbs.

* Italian style fresh sausage made with fresh tomato, basil and garlic. (The garlic flavour is quite strong and the tomato lends a sweet and sour taste to the cooked sausage.)

* Crab meat and Pork sausage with a flavouring of coconut cream, chillies, garlic, lemon grass and other Thai spices. They are somewhat like a cross between Thai fishcakes and the Northern "Sai Ouah" sausages in flavour. I have Thai customers who buy the filling without the casings to make their own "Tod Man" fried cakes.

* Chicken sausages with coconut. (No pork.) These are flavoured with galangal, lemon grass and other Thai herbs and spices.

I also make a few dried and smoked sausages, but the drier/smoker is on the blink at present, so they are currently unavailable.

I also have a selection of pies, Steak & Kidney, Steak & Onion, Chicken & Mushroom, Steak & Mushroom, Apple etc. etc. etc. in large, family size and individual portion size. They come with a choice of pure butter short crust, flaky or a steamed crust.

Most of these sausages are not stocked in large quantities I tend to make to order, so I normally need at least a couple of day's notice to fill an order. The dried & smoked varieties will need up to 6 weeks once the machinery is fixed.

I am currently out of stock of everything but the spicy crab sausages. However I have just checked with Dacheeso and they still hold a small stock of everything.

To find Dacheeso, Leave Chiang Mai on the Hang Dong Road.

You need to turn left into the soi immediately before the large Siam Commercial Bank on the left hand side before you get to Tesco Lotus. That soi leads you into Amornvivet village.

Follow the soi until it curves to the right. Immediately afterwards there is a little soi on your left with Dacheeso factory on the left and the Hideaway restaurant/shop on the right, both are adjoining the main soi you turn in from.

The sausages are available in the Hideaway, which is the retail outlet for Dacheeso products.

Their full address is:

140/93 Moo 10 Amornvivet Village

Chiang Mai Hangdong Road

T. Padat

A. Muang

Chiang Mai 50100

Tel 053 202 257

I suggest you phone Dacheeso to reserve your sausages before you go. They are likely to run out easily.

I hope this helps you fill a craving!

I will be selling primarily through Dacheeso from now on, apart from large trade deliveries and special orders. We are investigating opening a retail shop in a low-rent area, so the products may be easier to find later.

I have just removed a series of off topic and irrelevant posts - Please keep to the topic and keep posts relevant.

If you wish to purchase these sausages, as Chef says, contact Dacheso, (or Chef for large quantities.)

I am sure if Dacheeso is out of stock when youy order, they will tell you when they receive a delivery and you can get what you want then. Otherwise perhaps Chef can post when he delivers to Dacheso.

I followed the simple instructions from Chef on how to get to Dacheeso and bought some Jabberwocky's- they were well worth the effort, best sausages I have had in Thailand.

Cheers Chef.

I will ring before I go next time but what day do you normally deliver new stock?

Myself and my friend plan to sample these sausages with mashed spuds and onion gravy this evening (I'll let you know what I think about them later). We'd been discussing how to cook them and I suggested defrosting them first, which he said wouldn't be a good idea as the skin goes all baggy. This sounded strange to me, but as the conversation went on he told me that it was almost like they had a second skin - and not a very nice tasting one at that.

Well... before we started cooking today I said how good it was that each sausage was wrapped in clingfilm - making them very easy to seperate... hmm, says he, clingfilm, huh! The not very tasty second skin that he'd enjoyed the day before! donkey!

Myself and my friend plan to sample these sausages with mashed spuds and onion gravy this evening (I'll let you know what I think about them later). We'd been discussing how to cook them and I suggested defrosting them first, which he said wouldn't be a good idea as the skin goes all baggy. This sounded strange to me, but as the conversation went on he told me that it was almost like they had a second skin - and not a very nice tasting one at that.

Well... before we started cooking today I said how good it was that each sausage was wrapped in clingfilm - making them very easy to seperate... hmm, says he, clingfilm, huh! The not very tasty second skin that he'd enjoyed the day before! donkey!

:D:o Thank you for that story. I am sorry your friend had difficulty with the second skin! :D It is always best to defrost and remove the plastic before you cook them!

Please contact me by PM or email. I would like to give you some complimentary samples to make up for your friend's disturbing experience, and to thank you for amusing me.

PS. I hope you enjoyed your sausages with mash and spuds. :D

I sampled the Jabberwocky spicy American-style links last night. I thought they were superb, just the right balance of herbs and spices. Among the best American-style sausages I've ever eaten in fact.

I sampled the Jabberwocky spicy American-style links last night. I thought they were superb, just the right balance of herbs and spices. Among the best American-style sausages I've ever eaten in fact.

I also had a chance to sample the American style sage/spicy paddies last night and they were indeed very good. Even had my wife and her two sisters try it and they too agreed it was excellent (and my wife is pretty picky about farang food). :o Tasted just like, if not better then, the Jimmy Dean's sausages I remember back in the US. Will be ordering a batch soon.

The Jabberwock has delivered a large selection of sausages to Dacheso. They are fully stocked with all varieties.

Most varieties are now packed in 3 to a packet, most packs are under 100 Baht. Bit smaller and cheaper, so easier to buy to try.

Selection packs with two of each variety, (except the American sausage and links,) will be delivered later today.

The American Spicy Sage Links and Breakfast Sausage patties are also available at Dacheso. The sausage patties are 100Grams each and packed 3 to a packet.

If anybody has any genuine feedback or criticism, please let me know on the forum or by PM. I rely on feedback to improve my products.

Thank you.

not sure where crow boy is from

I am from Oz and we have sufficient numbers of people from other countries including the UK who took their cooking skills with them. That way we learned how to make meat and three veg for several generations until the European influx brought interesting food. We also benefited from the Asian immigration waves to teach us how to eat well.

Still we do like a good sausage with mash and gravy every now hence my enjoyment of the jabberwokky brand.

btw you mentioned to UG in another post re Yorkie sausages that there are better ones in Pattaya. As a recent arrivee in the southern city of sex, sin and sausages would you please let me know which ones you like that I should try.

P.S I will be heading down that way around 13th july Cboy happy to deliver

Thanks very much - will send a pm with details

CB

Are you saying your friend actually ate the clingfilm? :o

Are you saying your friend actually ate the clingfilm? :o

Yes, I believe that's what he's saying. Probably not the kind of testimonial The Chef looks for, but the fact that he went back for more on the following day tells me the rest of that sausage must be pretty good.

I have had a few reports of people having difficulty cooking the Jabberwocky's sausages. They really are not hard if directions are followed.

For guaranteed results:

* You should cook from cold. This means, you put them in a cold pan or cold oven. Hot pan or hot oven and they are likely to split.

* Cook on a low heat. Only cook on the smallest flame on the smallest burner. Smallest flame on a bigger burner they are liable to split.

* Do not use sharp implements when cooking? They need only the slightest "prick" & they burst.

They burst because they are authentic "Bangers". Most modern sausages do not burst in this way, nor do they have the same quality ingredients or flavour.

* Foolproof way to cook. Put in cold oven and turn temperature on to 120-150 Centigrade. They should be perfect in about 30 minutes. Watch the colour and turn gently once or twice.

Secondly, I am afraid the Jabberwocky's ex-"helper" did not properly grind a small amount of meat that went into the latest batch. If anybody comes across an unpalatable largeish piece of meat in their sausage, please put it in the bag with any remaining sausages of the same type and we will be happy to replace them.

People kept telling me that 20-30 minutes was too long to cook them, but they tasted great when I followed the directions! :D

20 to 30 minutes is the exact time it should take to cook a good banger without it Splitting

SLOW IS BETTER (at least that's what the wife says :o

Tried the Crab and Pork Thai style last night.

I had bought a "selection pack" at Dacheso a few days prior.

Followed the cooking instructions to a "tee"...almost was tricked by the completely transparent cling wrap as well (donkey almost!).

They were very, very good. Of course they were accompanied by perfectly steamed Hom Mali organic jasmine rice, a beautiful salad and a simple unassuming Pinot Grigio, well chilled.

I would like to get my hands on the product before it is frozen, if possible in the future.

Disclaimer: Although I know Chef, I have no personal business interest at all. I just thought that I should let people know that this is truly a quality product. Tasty, with a very nice balance of seasonings.

The Jabberwock has delivered a large selection of sausages to Dacheso. They are fully stocked with all varieties.

Most varieties are now packed in 3 to a packet, most packs are under 100 Baht. Bit smaller and cheaper, so easier to buy to try.

Selection packs with two of each variety, (except the American sausage and links,) will be delivered later today.

The American Spicy Sage Links and Breakfast Sausage patties are also available at Dacheso. The sausage patties are 100Grams each and packed 3 to a packet.

If anybody has any genuine feedback or criticism, please let me know on the forum or by PM. I rely on feedback to improve my products.

Thank you.

Hi Chef, don't want to put any sort of dampener on proceedings but couldn't see any expiry date or such labeling, on the pack that I bought. Isn't this a requirement by the FDA with such products in Thailand, or is this only for imported foods?

Cheers

Yos

Thank you.

Hi Chef, don't want to put any sort of dampener on proceedings but couldn't see any expiry date or such labeling, on the pack that I bought. Isn't this a requirement by the FDA with such products in Thailand, or is this only for imported foods?

Cheers

Yos

FDA Approval has been applied for and we are currently going through the process.

There is no expiry date at present, because that will be suggested by the health department as part of their product testing and certification process. The sausages will last for at least six months to a year as long as they are kept frozen in their vacuum packs.

If they are defrosted, they should be removed from the vac pack, kept refrigerated and cooked and eaten within three days.

We currently swap out unsold stock and replace with new when it has been unsold for a month. The retreived stock is thein eaten by ourselves, cooked for charity or cooked with rice and vegetables etc. to make dog food.

Followed the cooking instructions to a "tee"...almost was tricked by the completely transparent cling wrap as well (donkey almost!).

They were very, very good. Of course they were accompanied by perfectly steamed Hom Mali organic jasmine rice, a beautiful salad and a simple unassuming Pinot Grigio, well chilled.

Jeeze mate - whatever happened to the idea of bangers with mashed potato and onion gravy washed down with an unassuming ale?

Taste great either way

CB

Thank you.

Cheers

Yos

FDA Approval has been applied for and we are currently going through the process.

There is no expiry date at present, because that will be suggested by the health department as part of their product testing and certification process. The sausages will last for at least six months to a year as long as they are kept frozen in their vacuum packs.

If they are defrosted, they should be removed from the vac pack, kept refrigerated and cooked and eaten within three days.

We currently swap out unsold stock and replace with new when it has been unsold for a month. The retreived stock is thein eaten by ourselves, cooked for charity or cooked with rice and vegetables etc. to make dog food.

Thanks Chef, I guess my question should have been; is it legal to sell such products without the approved FDA labeling and prior to their product testing and certification process? Sorry for the confusion, just concerned about the safety of your customers and families as I am sure you are also.

Cheers,

Yos

Thanks Chef, I guess my question should have been; is it legal to sell such products without the approved FDA labeling and prior to their product testing and certification process? Sorry for the confusion, just concerned about the safety of your customers and families as I am sure you are also.

Cheers,

Yos

The law stipulates that goods can be sold in the local area without FDA Certification. If a business wishes to sell further afield, then "Or Yor" certification is required. We are applying primarily for the peace of mind of our customers. We would need to expand our facilities to ship to retail outlets further afield.

Funnily enough, it is legal for us to sell our goods from Chiang Mai to Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok etc, as long as we are shipping direct to the end user. If we sell to Foodland or other supermarkets in those places, they are not permitted to offer for sale to their customers.

Cheers,

Yos

The law stipulates that goods can be sold in the local area without FDA Certification. If a business wishes to sell further afield, then "Or Yor" certification is required. We are applying primarily for the peace of mind of our customers. We would need to expand our facilities to ship to retail outlets further afield.

Funnily enough, it is legal for us to sell our goods from Chiang Mai to Phuket, Pattaya or Bangkok etc, as long as we are shipping direct to the end user. If we sell to Foodland or other supermarkets in those places, they are not permitted to offer for sale to their customers.

Hi Chef, many thanks for the info, I will pass it on to the concerned, wish you good luck with your future enterprises. :o

As for the "chicken rice seller" comment, the less said about that the better. Tut, tut TG you're worthy of more cutting sarcasm than that. At least you were the last time we spoke, mellowing? :D

Cheers,

Yos