Why Is The British Consul Ripping Its Citizens Off

FarangCravings

I think the procedure you've outlined is called forgery. Although the risk of exposure may be very small, some people still frown at it :o

...including the Thai government offices to whom you would be supplying said forged documents.

I did a rough calculation last night. By using the same certificate for the last two years I have saved about 15.000 Baht. Have I done something wrong ?, perhaps.

Do I still live at the original address ? Yes.

My question is, who are the real criminals, the guys who charge 2500-3500 for an A4 letter or the guy who spends 20 baht and photocopies his and saves 2480.00 Baht ?

It's no more criminal than working without a work permit, but so what? The risk is small, same as with work permits....

so everyone should go for it...

Could you give some references to show that the highlighted statement is true?

Furthermore, it might be worth pointing out that the document he forges is issued by a representative of the UK government, which I assume makes it a crime under British law as well. Personally I think that if he wants to go into forgery, producing bank notes would be a lot more profitable than a mere 15,000 baht :D

/ Priceless

" Could you give some references to show that the highlighted statement is true?

Furthermore, it might be worth pointing out that the document he forges is issued by a representative of the UK government, which I assume makes it a crime under British law as well. Personally I think that if he wants to go into forgery, producing bank notes would be a lot more profitable than a mere 15,000 baht :o "

I never claimed to be British and I am not by the way. neither am I American.

While I was in the US last year I went into a copy shop to make a photocopy of my passport for something, I forget what. I am sure all of you have copies of yours somewhere. Well according to the 2 copy shops that kicked me put, I was commiting a felony !

You cannot copy a passport, stamps. money, driving licence........... this list is endless.

There is a large threatning sign in all of the shops in NY.

" Could you give some references to show that the highlighted statement is true?

Furthermore, it might be worth pointing out that the document he forges is issued by a representative of the UK government, which I assume makes it a crime under British law as well. Personally I think that if he wants to go into forgery, producing bank notes would be a lot more profitable than a mere 15,000 baht :o "

I never claimed to be British and I am not by the way. neither am I American.

While I was in the US last year I went into a copy shop to make a photocopy of my passport for something, I forget what. I am sure all of you have copies of yours somewhere. Well according to the 2 copy shops that kicked me put, I was commiting a felony !

You cannot copy a passport, stamps. money, driving licence........... this list is endless.

There is a large threatning sign in all of the shops in NY.

I am very sorry that I assumed that you were British. My assumption was based on the fact that you did not explicitly claim otherwise and that the title of this thread is "Why Is The British Consul Ripping Its Citizens Off". However, I would think that forgery is considered a crime in the US as well, and your latest post seem to support that assumption.

/ Priceless

Although it is expensive to have residency letters issued from the English and American consulates here in Chiang Mai, atleast you have the option.

Being an Australian, I have to travel down to the Bangkok Embassy to have any documents issued, passport renewals etc.

The cost for the letter, which is just a statutory declaration witnessed by an embassy official only costs around 600 baht but when you take into account airfares, taxis and a whole day's inconvenience, I would much rather be paying 2,500 baht in Chiang Mai.

Although it is expensive to have residency letters issued from the English and American consulates here in Chiang Mai, atleast you have the option.

Being an Australian, I have to travel down to the Bangkok Embassy to have any documents issued, passport renewals etc.

The cost for the letter, which is just a statutory declaration witnessed by an embassy official only costs around 600 baht but when you take into account airfares, taxis and a whole day's inconvenience, I would much rather be paying 2,500 baht in Chiang Mai.

I sympathise. I'm one of the lucky few who got a C of R in the twenty minutes the immigration dept decided that 500 baht was worth having for the 10 or 15 minutes of work it takes to type your details up and stick a red stamp on your mug shot - why they changed their minds is beyond me. Those of us in a Green frame of mind might also question the need to expend all that fuel getting down to Bangkok and back in order to have a needless bit of paper stamped by an authority that simply takes your word for where you live anyway.

The British Consulate rips people off, but it's not the fault of the people who work there.

I remember a few years back being told that a letter to show I didn't have a criminal record (they admitted it would be a 5-minute check and a generic letter would be used) in order to apply for a visa to Pakistan would cost the equivalent of 60 quid and this stopped me out of principle travelling to that country. What happened to the concept of public servant? The UK government isn't afraid of its people anymore. I would be happy if the place burnt down as it doesn't serve it's people anymore.

I agree that the cost is ridiculous. The US consulate charges $30, which is around 1000B at current rates. Even this seems too much, but is much more reasonable than the UK consulate. I have both UK and US passports, so could probably choose where to go. It's a pity there's not an open market for this---competition might bring the price down! Neil

not just on residency,me and a friend did our affirmations to marry(not to each other of course,he snores) cost 3500 b just for a sig and stamp.fin unbelievable.i gather tho that these costs are for the existance of the consulate,and the help they may be required to give their fellow countrymen in certain circumstances,i gather if i topped myself they would inform my next of kin for free. ????

The British Consulate rips people off, but it's not the fault of the people who work there.

I remember a few years back being told that a letter to show I didn't have a criminal record (they admitted it would be a 5-minute check and a generic letter would be used) in order to apply for a visa to Pakistan would cost the equivalent of 60 quid and this stopped me out of principle travelling to that country. What happened to the concept of public servant? The UK government isn't afraid of its people anymore. I would be happy if the place burnt down as it doesn't serve it's people anymore.

It's not just the government like a lot of posters would have us believe. A few years back I had to have my college certificates copies notarised for a work permit application for Malaysia. A fancy stick on plastic "seal", a stamp and signiture cost £20 per document, including a friendly chat with the public notary it took 5 minutes for the three documents. Not a bay pay rate that.

Twice a year somebody from our embassy makes a visit to Chiang Mai.

It started about 4 years ago when our dreamteam was in charge.

They send us a news letter first and then an email with the details later on (the hotel name, the date and the visiting hours).

We can do all the necessary paperwork over here, so need to go to Bangkok anymore if you plan a little in advance.

They invite us for a (free) drink as well, not bad at all I would say.

By the way I have my own Tabien Baan (house registration book with my name in it) I guess I can use that when they ask me for a paper of residence when I renew my Thai drivers license.

Twice a year somebody from our embassy makes a visit to Chiang Mai.

It started about 4 years ago when our dreamteam was in charge.

They send us a news letter first and then an email with the details later on (the hotel name, the date and the visiting hours).

We can do all the necessary paperwork over here, so need to go to Bangkok anymore if you plan a little in advance.

They invite us for a (free) drink as well, not bad at all I would say.

By the way I have my own Tabien Baan (house registration book with my name in it) I guess I can use that when they ask me for a paper of residence when I renew my Thai drivers license.

Which embassy is this?

Perhaps the OP can shed some light on the nuances of the laws here regarding work permits... :o

SirichiaJohn

I am getting tired of your BS and incitement postings i beleive thay are against the rules here so back off before i get pissed off and give you some of yours

OK

would of posted earlier bit was suspended for a week so i answer NOW

dont try and gang up in a very childish way on a slightly dissenting voice

it doesnt make you look very big or clever

Who said anyhting about a gang dude I stand alone he has had multiple invitations to sort his issues out but the dog wont let go of his bone.

He is again invited to visit the station and visit with the chief if he chooses not to then why not shut up

If he chooses to he might just be right and can you imagine how happy he would be to post after his meeting to tell us all he is right.

His posting was purely to incite which i beleive is against TV posting policy

dont try and gang up in a very childish way on a slightly dissenting voice

it doesnt make you look very big or clever

Who said anyhting about a gang dude I stand alone he has had multiple invitations to sort his issues out but the dog wont let go of his bone.

He is again invited to visit the station and visit with the chief if he chooses not to then why not shut up

If he chooses to he might just be right and can you imagine how happy he would be to post after his meeting to tell us all he is right.

His posting was purely to incite which i beleive is against TV posting policy

You need to consider my post in regards to the context of the posts that I was responding to (engineer and priceless).

If you have some new development on the other topic (such as tangible proof), I would suggest you contact the mods and have the thread re-opened as was suggested by the mods.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1980266

btw, within that thread is evidence of the "gang" that precinct11 was referring to.

Edited by sriracha john

That's a very good point and may be a cost-effective solution for many. I have my own yellow Tabien Baan as well and will remember this next time I need to provide a residency document. My wife did most of the work to obtain, but it was cheap and not too complicated. You can attach yourself to another person's Tabien Baan, so you don't actually need to purchase property.

Yeah wicked.

I blame the Thai authorities as well. All the embassy letter in effect states is that you have told them (no proof needed) what your current address is and that the embassy has no reason to doubt it. And the Thai authorities accept this. Actually when I used it to renew my Thai driving licence - they didn't look at the contents of the letter - just gave a quick glance at the headed notepaper.

The whole thing is a joke - especially the 'doctor's cert' that the licence people tell you where to go and a motorbike driver takes u down some back alley to a quack's surgery (complete with grubby fan and peeling paintwork) and he signs the form without even looking up at you for 60 baht.

I understood from immigration that they stop giving the letter after the first one - I think they will give a 'virgin' driver one still - but it takes a month to get someone upstairs to sign it. But at least when they give it they require proper proof, like utility bills or condo rental contract. Thank God they have a super secure system in place - otherwise we would have a load of duff drivers on the roads.

Hahahahhahahah - you are deluded into thinking they are looking for proof. Go on try it - you will soon see that they are looking for a complete set of their paperwork, with boxes ticked. Nothing more, nothing less. Real proof of residency has absolutely nothing to do with it, so forget the registration book and start saving up for the embassy letter - I've got 3 condo registration books, so there! :o

Yeah wicked.

I blame the Thai authorities as well. All the embassy letter in effect states is that you have told them (no proof needed) what your current address is and that the embassy has no reason to doubt it. And the Thai authorities accept this. Actually when I used it to renew my Thai driving licence - they didn't look at the contents of the letter - just gave a quick glance at the headed notepaper.

The whole thing is a joke - especially the 'doctor's cert' that the licence people tell you where to go and a motorbike driver takes u down some back alley to a quack's surgery (complete with grubby fan and peeling paintwork) and he signs the form without even looking up at you for 60 baht.

Hahahah, you were screwed. I got my medical certificate for a mere 50 Baht !!

MY " Doctor " shone his torch into my mouth, checked my blood pressure which was high by the way and then issued me the report. I may add that he last put batteries into the said torch in 1977 and the light that it emitted was the same colour as the sun at about 6PM in Bangkok ( ORANGE ).

The quick " glance " at my residence certificate complements of the Photocopy Shop Limited proves to me that the whole system is just a joke. They MUST know that the Doctors just spend 38 seconds with you and then certificate you fit to drive.

I wonder what the rules will be 5 years from now when I next have to renew my lkicence ?

Yeah wicked.

Hahahah, you were screwed. I got my medical certificate for a mere 50 Baht !!

MY " Doctor " shone his torch into my mouth, checked my blood pressure which was high by the way and then issued me the report. I may add that he last put batteries into the said torch in 1977 and the light that it emitted was the same colour as the sun at about 6PM in Bangkok ( ORANGE ).

The quick " glance " at my residence certificate complements of the Photocopy Shop Limited proves to me that the whole system is just a joke. They MUST know that the Doctors just spend 38 seconds with you and then certificate you fit to drive.

I wonder what the rules will be 5 years from now when I next have to renew my lkicence ?

In Chiang Mai the going rate seems to be 30 baht, 20 if you look around a bit. You don't have to actually see the doctor either, just a couple of minutes in the waiting room while the receptionist fills in your name on the form and takes it to the doctor to sign :o

/ Priceless

I never knew there is a standard form for that! Or am I wrong? If there is where can I get it?

I'm not sure if it is a government standard, or if each doctor has his own. Either way, it's in the doctors computer (it has to be a quick thing if he is to make a profit on the 20-30 baht fee :o ).

/ Priceless