How Much Do You Pay For...

Sir_Sanuk

Hi,

I want to get a maid but I'm not sure how much to pay... Any ideas what a fair price would be for a maid to come once a week to clean a 1 bedroom apartment and do some laundry? (in Bangkok)

How much do you guys pay for your maid if you have one?

Thanks for any help :o

We have a cleaner 1 day per week. She cleans the floors and windows and does some ironing. (3-bed bungalow)

She is here for about 8 hours and spends 4 hours gossiping with my wife.

We pay 300 b for the day.

I would pay more, as my shirts have never been so well pressed, but my wife won't let me.

(we were paying 250 per day but now give an extra 50 because of the fuel costs - she has to travel 40km round trip to get here)

We are in Bang Saray about 15km from Pattaya - I expect BKK wages are a bit more.

Hi,

I want to get a maid but I'm not sure how much to pay... Any ideas what a fair price would be for a maid to come once a week to clean a 1 bedroom apartment and do some laundry? (in Bangkok)

I have one in mh room here, at the minute , in Pattaya , i pay low daily rate for room, and she scrubs the floors.. There are staff downstairs , the bar ladies, who normally do that job. How much does she charge me? Nothing :D (See my other post, when it is time for her to go)

Serisiously though.....I may need one shortly, in BKK, as the way it loooks at the minute, I am going there to a school on Monday and I may have to stop there. All my belongings are in Chonburi! Anyone care to help me out Please? 'Knock and a door, shalt be opened up to you', rings a bell.

Hi,

Seriously though, I may need help, All my belongings are in Chonburi.! It looks like I am going to school on Monday, and may be up there 'Long Time'. Anyone able to help please? If they are going that way, I have more than a bag ful also my printer from UK , books not too many, IT software and paperwork etc

'Knock, and a door shalt be opened up to you' Springs to mind.

We have a maid that's here 6 days a week, about 4-6 hours a day. She does a variety of things including cleaning, walking the dogs, paying bills etc. We pay her 6000 baht/month which is quite high but it's definitely worth it.

Tompa,

I'm not sure whether you're lucky or just exploiting the women (who can live on 6000 baht a month?!). I live on Phuket and pay my cleaner 100 baht an hour which I know is slightly (but only slightly) over the top. Fortunately for my finances she only works twice a week, 3 hours each time.

It does raise the question though, are we exploiting them or is that really a fair wage?

Please don't come back with the old 'you mustn't distorting the economic structure' arguement unless you can show that really is a realistic wage.

I'm not sure whether you're lucky or just exploiting the women (who can live on 6000 baht a month?!). I live on Phuket and pay my cleaner 100 baht an hour which I know is slightly (but only slightly) over the top. Fortunately for my finances she only works twice a week, 3 hours each time.

It does raise the question though, are we exploiting them or is that really a fair wage?

Please don't come back with the old 'you mustn't distorting the economic structure' arguement unless you can show that really is a realistic wage.

IMHO - I think there is a difference between having a live-in maid and a daily cleaner.

If you pay a live-in maid 6000/7000b per month this is not too bad considering she has no rent to pay and no food, electricity or water bills. If she is paid for holidays, and can earn extra doing laundry for other customers, even better for her.

If you are paying a daily cleaner you need to pay more (pro rata) because there are accommodation and transport costs to consider.

Overall, we foreigners should consider ourselves lucky to be able to afford such services, and we should not be too mean.

Your the type of person i say who has no idea of labour costs in the country and keep thinking in whatever country your from terms....a fair wage is a wage someone of their skill, education etc can reasonably expect in the sector their working in the country their living...you quite frankly have zero idea of this apparently..."slightly over the top" when university students only get paid 500 baht per day for a 10 hour day working in an office your maid is living in Gods pocket....my girlfriends niece gets paid 4000 a month, 7 days a week noon-10pm working at a THai BBQ and shes Happy!! Pay what you will, but dont come on making out others are exploiting/lucky when in reality their the ones paying a standard rate.

Considering the going rate for working in a field picking rice is I believe 120bht per day, 100 bht an hour for house keeping would be quite favourable.

I have a live-in who works about 6 hours a day and also goes to school. I pay 4000 baht/mo plus he can eat anything he finds in the kitchen. His hours are flexible due to the training courses he is undertaking.

Your the type of person i say who has no idea of labour costs in the country and keep thinking in whatever country your from terms....a fair wage is a wage someone of their skill, education etc can reasonably expect in the sector their working in the country their living...you quite frankly have zero idea of this apparently..."slightly over the top" when university students only get paid 500 baht per day for a 10 hour day working in an office your maid is living in Gods pocket....my girlfriends niece gets paid 4000 a month, 7 days a week noon-10pm working at a THai BBQ and shes Happy!! Pay what you will, but dont come on making out others are exploiting/lucky when in reality their the ones paying a standard rate.

Your gf's niece may well be happy but i dont believe for 1 moment she is happy working 300 hours a months for 4000 Baht.

If someone getting paid an expat salary pays less then 500 bht a day they are tight g7ts with little arms and deep pockets.

However i bought some tracksuit bottoms last week at 2.50GBP each and some tshirts a 2GBP a time from a shop called Primark, who sources its stock from sweatshops in India where the people get paid a couple of dollars a day so i guess that means i'm a hypocrite.

Edited by boiledegg

how much one pays a maid is a decision based on individual requirements, e.g the service one expects/demands and the service the maid is providing. anything else (including comparisons) is academic bullsh*t :o

Seems to me there are a lot of lazy expat shytes out there.

Why on earth does a normal person need a maid for a 1 bedroom flat/condo/ apartment.

Ya hafta be a real intidy git to need a maid.

Get up off ya collective asses and do it yaself.

On 2nd thoughts there may be an ulterior motive, like "special" overtime for the gal, or boy, or katoey.

Personally, I live in a 3 b/room town house, always tidy and clean.

Secret, clean up as ya go, so easy.

Why on earth does a normal person need a maid for a 1 bedroom flat/condo/ apartment.

On 2nd thoughts there may be an ulterior motive, like "special" overtime for the gal, or boy, or katoey.

Thank you for your lifestyle secrets and your unique idioms of language.

However, some of us don't have time for life's little inconveniences of dusting, cleaning, mopping, etc. We prefer to employ local people to ease the burden somewhat. In this respect, the kmart residential palace employs a chubby, genial, good-natured woman to come around and clean and do the ironing one day / week. For the remunerance of 500 baht.

Secret, always employ "stout" persons to do the ironing. They get the sharpest creases. :o

I've always done it myself for 3 years but it is horrible.. to really clean my apartment properly is hard work and i will be dripping with sweat by the end of it. Within a week it is dusty again and I just don't have the time to do it. Also, i am thoroughly sick of lugging my laundry before work to the laundrette on the back of motorbike taxi, which is both extremely uncomfortable and dangerous.

SO yea, hence the interest in how much it would cost to get someome to make my life just that little bit easier. My qu wasn't meant to be a discussion on sweatshop labour, i just want to know how much other people pay... thanks

Much prefer spending my spare time playing with my daughter....

But, if I was back in the west, then we'd be following your advice!

My maid works very hard,and she tries to work on a sunday when i require her to relax and have some spare time with friends.My rates are what i think she is worth and how much i can afford,hence she is a well off lady now,and does not need to do hard manual work.Also my maid is very fit and strong and i want her to be like that for many years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are quite happy with our housekeeper she is easy to have around does a very good job (up to eye level, anything above eye level she has to be reminded to clean). Most important of all is she is very trustworthy, would never take anything that isn't given to her.

Now some think having a housekeeper means you are to lazy to do it yourself. Those who think that just do not have the hang of being retired. That is what retirement is all about, enjoying yourself. Now if enjoying yourself means you don't want to clean house or wash the car or walk the dog and assuming you have the money then you shouldn't do those things.

If you want to eat out every meal or have a few drinks every day, go for it. Retirement should be interchangable with enjoyment. It dosen't matter if you are the man of the house or the lady of the house, if you are retired, ENJOY it. Make someone else happy by paying them to do the jobs that you don't care to do.

Follow these simple guidelines and you can have a very pleasant retirement. For those of you who aren't retired all I can say is "Hurry up and get enough to retire", retirement is good if it is done well.

It would not be nearly as pleasant without a housekeeper. Having a housekeeper means when I suggest to my wife we should go somewhere she never says wait until I wash the dishes or I can't there is a load of clothes in the washing machine or as soon as I mopped the floor and cleaned the windows. That plus a dozen more things she use to have to do. Now it only takes a half hour or so while she puts her makeup on.

Totaly agree beenthere.

Even though i am still quite young to semi retire i feel that i am contributing to the thai economy by hiring a maid.My time on the computer with some businesses i have, limits my time and i will not make loads of money ironing and cleaning.My maid has just started to cut my nails now and she is getting so good.

Edited by bratpack

Your gf's niece may well be happy but i dont believe for 1 moment she is happy working 300 hours a months for 4000 Baht.

If someone getting paid an expat salary pays less then 500 bht a day they are tight g7ts with little arms and deep pockets.

However i bought some tracksuit bottoms last week at 2.50GBP each and some tshirts a 2GBP a time from a shop called Primark, who sources its stock from sweatshops in India where the people get paid a couple of dollars a day so i guess that means i'm a hypocrite.

Why should my income affect what I pay others? Thats just an excuse for the whole double pricing of farangs, wealth distribution etc etc....4000 baht picking rice all day in the hot sun and heavy lifting or a quiet Thai BBQ serving food....yes I think shes happy. Many farangs have some guilt complex over the money they have compared to many Thais thus feel the need to over compensate and alleviate their guilt. Pay what you will but dont go trying to push your own guilt unto others who understand a global utopia does not exist.

In November 2003 I began paying a live-in maid Bt5,000, now she makes Bt7,000. She lives here in my home in Bangkok and has some perks, one being food. She has about doubled in size in just a few years. She is a good maid but has no other skills, prospects or potential. If she didn't work for me she would be paid far less. I have provided her with two English tutors over the years and both said my maid was unteachable. Just how much do the bleeding hearts pay their service staff?

Hi,

guy from nz in my village pays a lady 500baht per month to keep his house clean and he earns about 500,000 baht per month outside thailand.

cheap bast**d or what??

i just clean my own house. done properly that way.

In every pissant developing third world country I've lived in I've paid my housekeepers the prevailing local 'going rate'. There's no sense paying a stupid price because (1) you are a foreigner or because (2) you make more money in a week than the inhabitants of said country make in several months.

Many studies have shown there is little in the way of actual correlation between what someone makes as far as income, and what someone would pay for a semi-literate, slightly educated housekeeper in a third world country. The "we-be-thai" faction can feel as guilty as they want and can compensate for that 'burden' by paying a crazy price per month as well.

In all honesty;

I think for the Bangkok metro area you should be able to find a really good maid which cleans the house, does laundry, irons, etc, for far less than 100baht an hour.

I have had my housekeeper almost 2 years now and pay her 60baht an hour for just housecleaning. She works every 5 days or on average 6 times a month. She's now trained to my idiosyncratic behavior, my quirks, as well as my OCD. She's got keys to my house and shows up when she's supposed to rain or shine.

As another poster mentioned and I concur; due to the diminutive stature of the inhabitants in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" rarely will they clean above eye level, which can be exceedingly low. Constant reminding and stringent enforcement can alleviate that to some degree. Swatting with a tennis racquet sized electric bug zapper can motivate slow workers to some degree as well.