Careful When Buying Frozen Food In Carrefour

paul1970

Just returned from a shopping trip to Carrefour where I was disgusted at the frozen food section.

Of all the chest type freezers only one of them showed a temperature below -18C and one actually showed 9C and all the food inside was already thawing. Most of them had temperature ranging from -5C to -10C and the top layers of frozen food where already soft to the touch in most of the freezers.

While I generally prefer Carrefour to most of the supermarkets in Pattaya, I will certainly not be buying frozen foods from there again.

Just returned from a shopping trip to Carrefour where I was disgusted at the frozen food section.

Of all the chest type freezers only one of them showed a temperature below -18C and one actually showed 9C and all the food inside was already thawing. Most of them had temperature ranging from -5C to -10C and the top layers of frozen food where already soft to the touch in most of the freezers.

While I generally prefer Carrefour to most of the supermarkets in Pattaya, I will certainly not be buying frozen foods from there again.

Any time I buy frozen food in Thailand, I inspect the packaging for signs that the food has thawed. Tops on Klang is probably the worst offender in Pattaya. I think Foodland and Villa do pretty well in this regard.

Well done. Good post!

I agree that some supermarkets trade rotting food whether it be in refrigeration sections or frozen sections. The time has come to name and shame (them).

Personally, I buy all frozen food from Friendship (their cabinets next to the booze section seem temperature-friendly) ie. -20 degrees. However caution is needed at their refrigerated cabinets where only skinless chicken with 3-4 days sell-by is recommended.