Prices According To Season?

raybona

Hi there,

Here again some questions about prices:

Here in Goa, if you want to move to another house you better wait for monsoonseason, if not expect to pay double or even tripple in high season for the same long term rentalcontract and the same house.

Is it the same in Chiang Mai?

Also, when we arrive we have to stay a week (or two) in a guest house in order to find a house for us + we probabely need to rent a small car (smallest possible) to get arround. Any idea of prices more or less ?

Thanks a lot,

Ray & Jane

Not much if any change in house rental prices in CM for different seasons.

Google chiang mai car rental and contact the agencies directly for current prices then figure you might get a discount when you arrive in person.

All the car rental places along moon muang road seem to be pretty standard in price. The cheapest I have tried is a place called scorpian car rent. Its maybe the last one on the left hand side just before moon muang soi 5.

Honda jazz city or similar

They will ask 1 day = 1300b however I rented for 10 days and got him down to 800 a day

For 7 days rental budget in about 1000 a day

And as above although hotel and guest houses may differ in price through the seasons house rental doesnt as most contracts are 1 year + so make no difference as to season

thanks guys, really helpfull. I also wounder about my drivinglicences?

I have a new european (international) driverlicence, + a International, which is like a book, (valid only for 3 years, expired right now, but doubt they can read flamish?) and a Norwegian, which is valid for 100 years!!

Would that do?

Cheers

I have a new european (international) driverlicence, + a International, which is like a book, (valid only for 3 years, expired right now, but doubt they can read flamish?) and a Norwegian, which is valid for 100 years!!

Would that do?

Cheers

That will be fine. In some places they will only ask you for a passport as your driving licence you need to carry with you whilst driving.

I only have a UK licence and have had no probem in 9 years.

Would that do?

Cheers

That will be fine. In some places they will only ask you for a passport as your driving licence you need to carry with you whilst driving.

Unless you have an accident. Some insurance companies will not pay out if you do not have a Thai Licence. Get a Thai one if you are planning to live here. It is easy.

Lots of Info here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=27462

Edited by Lite Beer

Would that do?

Cheers

I have only had an Oregon License, expired in 1984, and it has worked fine for me. A few months ago, I hit an oily patch in a turn, causing my truck to crash. My insurance company paid for everything, including my hospital and the cost to fix my truck. Some insurance companies are better than others. :o

Would that do?

Cheers

I have only had an Oregon License, expired in 1984, and it has worked fine for me. A few months ago, I hit an oily patch in a turn, causing my truck to crash. My insurance company paid for everything, including my hospital and the cost to fix my truck. Some insurance companies are better than others. :o

Who is your insurance company?

Edited by sparrow

Correct me if i'm wrong but the conditions of all the rental companys is the driver must be in posession of an International driving licence, not Thai and the most of the rental cars are covered by full insurance.

If it was a thai driving licence needed for insurance I would of thought most of the rental places would be out of customers - come here for a two week holiday your not going to apply for a Thai licence are you.

Correct me if i'm wrong but the conditions of all the rental companys is the driver must be in posession of an International driving licence, not Thai and the most of the rental cars are covered by full insurance.

If it was a thai driving licence needed for insurance I would of thought most of the rental places would be out of customers - come here for a two week holiday your not going to apply for a Thai licence are you.

The OP is talking about living here, not coming for a holiday.

Also, when we arrive we have to stay a week (or two) in a guest house in order to find a house for us + we probabely need to rent a small car (smallest possible) to get arround. Any idea of prices more or less ?

The OP is talking about coming to search for a house, and renting a car for the week to do it. So yes they are coming to live, but thats not what this question is directed to.

And..... What difference does it make to needing a Thai driving licence if you live here and rent a car or on holiday. Yes if you live here obviously a Thai licence is the the better option, my post was directed at short term rentals (most of which are made up by tourists)

The OP is talking about coming to search for a house, and renting a car for the week to do it. So yes they are coming to live, but thats not what this question is directed to.

And..... What difference does it make to needing a Thai driving licence if you live here and rent a car or on holiday. Yes if you live here obviously a Thai licence is the the better option, my post was directed at short term rentals (most of which are made up by tourists)

To be fully and formally correct, a driver is supposed to have either a Thai licence or a home country licence with an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is essentially a translation of the licence.

/ Priceless

To be fully and formally correct, a driver is supposed to have either a Thai licence or a home country licence with an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is essentially a translation of the licence.

/ Priceless

I take it an international Permit is different to an international licence? If so I stand corrected :o

/ Priceless

I take it an international Permit is different to an international licence? If so I stand corrected :o

There is actually no such thing as an 'International Licence'. There is only the 'International Driving Permit', which is only valid in conjunction with a home country licence. The Permits come in two flavours, according to the Conventions of either 1949 (one year validity) or 1968 (three year validity). Only Permits according to the 1949 Convention are valid in Thailand, as Thailand has not ratified the 1968 Convention.

/ Priceless

Thanks guys, i think i'll opt for the Thai licence, since that should only be to turn in my Belgian one?

By the way, instead of renting a car while i'm there looking around, how's public transport in CM ?

Cheers