Use Mobile Phone Apps

tominbkk

Hi All

Well after reading the board awhile and double checking on the net I bought the Nokia E51 yesterday, and have to say it is a really nice, geek-minded person's toy.

So far I have the yutube app, gmail mobile, and Fring up and running with my Skype, Gtalk, etc. All works great on the WLAN in the house. Made a couple calls to the States with Fring and all was very clear. Even was able to walk out to the garden, nice to be able to break away from the computer when making my calls.

So......what other apps would you all reccomend for this phone? I'm mostly looking for useful stuff, free of course. Good communication tools that can utilize this puppy are what I want.

Also, is there a better web browser for me to download than the Nokia one? I looked at Opera, but it ain't free anymore.

Oh, I love the RSS feeds component, great to browse through with the morning coffee, don't have to turn the computer on!

Would appreciate your input.

Tom

Edited by tominbkk

Hi All

Well after reading the board awhile and double checking on the net I bought the Nokia E51 yesterday, and have to say it is a really nice, geek-minded person's toy.

So far I have the yutube app, gmail mobile, and Fring up and running with my Skype, Gtalk, etc. All works great on the WLAN in the house. Made a couple calls to the States with Fring and all was very clear. Even was able to walk out to the garden, nice to be able to break away from the computer when making my calls.

So......what other apps would you all reccomend for this phone? I'm mostly looking for useful stuff, free of course. Good communication tools that can utilize this puppy are what I want.

Also, is there a better web browser for me to download than the Nokia one? I looked at Opera, but it ain't free anymore.

Oh, I love the RSS feeds component, great to browse through with the morning coffee, don't have to turn the computer on!

Would appreciate your input.

Tom

Opera mobile mini is free but I think it stinks. I took it back off. I use Gmail mobile and Yahoo mobile as my home page. Both are pretty fast with the Nokia standard browser.

I think my E51 is great. Nokia has released a firmware upgrade for the phone. I'm not sure what it does but I updated anyways. I have Google maps on mine also. They are kind of neat but really not much good for much without the Bluetooth GPS.

There's an IR remote control program on the S60 that is quite handy. Now you can turn off those annoying tv shows at the restaurant next time you're trying to enjoy a quiet dinner, or at least change the channel. Or if you're feeling suicidal, try turning off the tv at the pub every time there's a goal attempt during football games.

I think this is it here, but i recall seeing a free app around as well.

I just found the opera mini and like its navigation abilities a bit better, will have to play with it later on after i get back from the gym.

That remote control sounds crazy, just what I need when on the running machine and surrounded by TVs blaring out soap operas, haha.

I also think the media player on this gadget is not half bad. Won't be throwing away my Ipod, but this is good to put a few of my favorite albums on plus a couple Howard Stern shows.

What's the biggest miniSD card on the market, and what's the price more or less?

The speaker sound of the phone itself is even bearable, not tinny sounding at all really. At least ok enough to set out on the kitchen counter when chopping garlic.....

I think the funny thing is that the phone looks so unassuming - I've shown it to a few friends and have let them know what it can do but because it doesn't look really 'accesorised' they don't seem to be that impressed - oh well, my little secret I suppose!

Not sure if this app works on the E51 but it does on the N95. Rotate Me allows you to switch from landscape to portrait display by simply rotating the phone (like the iPhone).

Yes, the E51 has a rotate option as well as a good zoom option. It doesn't do it automatically but instead with an option button. My old eyes are not that good for reading but I can read my Yahoo home page and email easily by rotating the screen and zooming. That comes included in the phone and is not a down load.