The First Gay Venue In Pattaya?

bograt

Talking recently with a man who is a carer for a gay invalid, he mentioned that this guy used to come to Pattaya in the late seventies/early eighties.

This has whetted my interest once again as to when and where the gay scene developed. His story some time ago was that Michael (Cockpit)was the first to open in Soi 3 just a single front shop and he feels it might have been downstairs

My first time in Pattaya in 1990, both BBB and the Cockpit were both well established and I can recall Adam and Eve, Nautilius, several places north of North Pattaya road, Gentlemens Club and another bar in Soi 1.

With Jim Lumsden (BBB) and Michael( Top Man) and Ian McKnight (Cafe Royale) still around it might be possible to get a history of gay Pattaya started. Some of the members of this board might also have memories going back almost 20 years

I might be the only one interested but would appreciate anyone that can offer any of the local history.

• 1 month later...
Talking recently with a man who is a carer for a gay invalid, he mentioned that this guy used to come to Pattaya in the late seventies/early eighties.

This has whetted my interest once again as to when and where the gay scene developed. His story some time ago was that Michael (Cockpit)was the first to open in Soi 3 just a single front shop and he feels it might have been downstairs

My first time in Pattaya in 1990, both BBB and the Cockpit were both well established and I can recall Adam and Eve, Nautilius, several places north of North Pattaya road, Gentlemens Club and another bar in Soi 1.

With Jim Lumsden (BBB) and Michael( Top Man) and Ian McKnight (Cafe Royale) still around it might be possible to get a history of gay Pattaya started. Some of the members of this board might also have memories going back almost 20 years

I might be the only one interested but would appreciate anyone that can offer any of the local history.

I hope I am doing this correctly. Have been lurking in the background for awhile but decided to cum outa the closet:

The first gay bar in Thailand was the Sea Hag. It was an old seamans bar from the '50s converted to a gay bar and opened on July 4, 1967. Reason I know is that I opened it together with my then BF. Prior to that, there was Club 99 on Silom opposite where Narai Hotel now is and several other 'mixed' bars on Oriental ave. and a bit later the Balcony on Charoen Krung (New Road) which was also mixed.

I left Thailand for Japan in '69 and my then BF went on to open Siamese on the newly-built Silom Soi 4 (71 or 72). Siamese later expanded and became the Rome club of past international fame.

BB

Just another add-in to the information previously provided: The oldest continuing gay bar presently in existence is Twilight, now in the bar row off Suriwongse. It used to be where Dreamboy is -- or next door -- can't remember which.

BB

• 1 month later...

BBB or JIM LUMSDEN has been around since 1988,not sure of how long MICHAEL FROM TOP MAN has been around but COCKPIT was there in "83 someone told me so he s been there pratically forever.MONTY also owned ROBS BAR IN SUNEE back in the late 80 s or early 90 s. Correct me if im wrong.

I hope I am doing this correctly. Have been lurking in the background for awhile but decided to cum outa the closet:

The first gay bar in Thailand was the Sea Hag. It was an old seamans bar from the '50s converted to a gay bar and opened on July 4, 1967. Reason I know is that I opened it together with my then BF. Prior to that, there was Club 99 on Silom opposite where Narai Hotel now is and several other 'mixed' bars on Oriental ave. and a bit later the Balcony on Charoen Krung (New Road) which was also mixed.

I left Thailand for Japan in '69 and my then BF went on to open Siamese on the newly-built Silom Soi 4 (71 or 72). Siamese later expanded and became the Rome club of past international fame.

BB

Bangkok Bear are your intials really TNO because mine are BB

• 7 months later...

A short History of the Pattaya Gay Scene.

After the end of the Vietnam War, Pattaya saw the arrival of the First Mainly British Gay Visitors.

The only Gay meeting places were a Bar Attached to the Fish Restaurant at The Fishing Pier, [ Walking Street] some of it is still operating as a Fish Restaurant, forgot its name but it begins with a 'T'. Gays also met on the nice Beach where the Bali Hai Pier is now and long before the Boats which arrived in the early 90's.

Our Gay activities were watching the Fisherman Shower and some Bangkok freelancers at the Bali Hai Beach. Highlight of the week was the 16mm Straight/Hollywood Movie show on a Monday at Pompet Guest House..recently Red Lion now Beer Bars. Then came some Mixed Discos..The Ocean Floor at Siam Bayshore and the 15th Floor at Regent/Montien. Followed by Little Duck a more Gay Mixed Disco.

What was probably the First real Gay Bar which opened in the late 70's was also near Bali Hai- called The Original Tiffany's a small hotel with a Bar at the front which held about 30 people and Fridays and Saturdays we had Katoey Shows, these were expanded with the addition of more Straight Tourists and then moved to a Larger Building in the Same Complex where you carefully negotiated over the swimming pool. After the show some of the Katoeys would drink and cruise at The Terrace Bar of what is now Au Clair de Lune Hotel.

The show then moved to a small pupose built on its current site. Around the same time we got our first all Gay Disco/Bar..Fire and Ice on Beach Road somewhere above what is now Chaplins Snack Bar area. This only lasted a short time.

Finally a single shop house called Cockpit opened, with a prior owner to Michael, they also did on-site Short Time Bois upstairs. It was here at the bar on New Years Eve around 85/86, I first met Jim. Who had escaped from Gordon and The Royal Cliff Gala Event. Jim. Myself and A Japenese or Korean Gay guy were the only 3 customers. Then I believe Michael bought the Bar and it became a 2/3 shophouse unit with a Travestite show.

Meanwhile Gentlemans Club and another Gar Bar [Why Not?] opened in the ajoining Pattayaland 1, before Big Time Gay comes to Pattaya with the Opening of Boys...The rest they say is History

And Jomtien..well thats all another story.

I am not sure about the ethics of my lifting posts from here and placing in out sister Sawatdee Forum but I thought it might bring information on a definitive history. There are curious results see

p213.ezboard.com/fsawatdeeforumfrm49.showMessage?topicID=637.topic

and

p213.ezboard.com/fsawatdeeforumfrm2...icID=4847.topic[/url]

I have removed the http//. from these as I think links are not allowed here GKW!

Edited by wowpow