Jazz Festival 2008

The Vulcan

Just seen this poster and as I'm new to the area I wonder if someone could throw some light on the event.

It seems that it's to be held from the 15th - 19th BUT other websites suggest a different date?

Also, just where is it to be held - I understand the Sofitel soi - correct?

Advices much appreciated

I think the main dates are Fri 13th and Sat 14th June. And it's on the beach at the front of the Sofitel Hotel.

Have you tried this site?? http://www.huahinjazzfest.com/

Your right about the web information though, a miss mash on dates, ticket prices and even the number of stages, some sites say 2 some say 1. I guess you just need to turn up a see what's what. (As always in Thailand).

Edited by thecatman

I think the main dates are Fri 13th and Sat 14th June. And it's on the beach at the front of the Sofitel Hotel.

Have you tried this site?? http://www.huahinjazzfest.com/

Your right about the web information though, a miss mash on dates, ticket prices and even the number of stages, some sites say 2 some say 1. I guess you just need to turn up a see what's what. (As always in Thailand).

3,000 baht for a ticket! Wow. Is that correct?

I'd assume like all these festivals that there's one ticket to cover all the gigs and also one for individual performances. The 3,000 probably covers the whole event. So if there's anything specific -- if you can get hold of a programme of events that is -- then turn up for just that/them and pay.

Alternatively, as has been previously said ... just turn up and see what's happening.

I'd assume like all these festivals that there's one ticket to cover all the gigs and also one for individual performances. The 3,000 probably covers the whole event. So if there's anything specific -- if you can get hold of a programme of events that is -- then turn up for just that/them and pay.

Alternatively, as has been previously said ... just turn up and see what's happening.

Vulcan, can you tell me where you got the 3000 baht per ticket info? I looked at the web site mentioned in a previous post which says free admission.

I have been to it for the last three years and it has been morphing a bit as the first year (2005) was a really big production with multiple stages and venues all over downtown including the main stage on the beach beside the Sofitel. That year it lasted three or four days. Each of the succeeding years it has gotten smaller. I believe in 2006 there were two stages, the one on the beach and a smaller one in a downtown park a couple of blocks from the beach. Also in succeeding years I believe it has only been two days (Friday and Saturday).

I attended briefly last year but it was unusually hot on the beach at night with no breeze and I had to get out of there early (as did others I've talked to for the same reason).

If you like Jazz, some Thai music, and some blues it is worthwhile. It is sponsored mainly by Heineken and there are temporary beer and food stands (mostly by the hotels) set up along the beach.

It has always been free as it is on the public beach and you just bring your folding chair or throw down your beach mat and sit anywhere so I would be surprised if they were charging this year just to listen to the music.

I can't seem to find the website now where I saw admission prices, but I seem to recollect some mention of "tabled seating and complimentary wine". The site went on to advise 3,000 baht per night and other prices covering multi nights and group bookings. Maybe some special VIP "up the front" arrangement?

I guess, as everybody is inferring, that it's just a case of turning up (on friday the 13th!) and seeing what's what.

Edited by The Vulcan

I think, but could be wrong, that the 3,000 baht is for a special concert at one of the resorts. It's separate from the main festival.

I'm pretty sure that the 3000 baht is for (as you said) "table seating" probably on the Sofitel property (which overlooks the concert venue) with wine included. That would be offered by the hotel itself, whereas the concerts are on the public beach (next to the Sofitel property) and the music and just sitting on the beach to enjoy it are absolutely free of charge (if my past experiences apply).

Bring a beach mat and a few hundred baht for the snacks and beer or soft drinks and enjoy!

See you there.

I think, but could be wrong, that the 3,000 baht is for a special concert at one of the resorts. It's separate from the main festival.

NetFan, you could be right as I haven't been able to find out about anything that is that price even on the Sofitel web site.

Vulcan (and others); now I understand the confusion. I was out and about just now and realized that there are three completely different signs advertising the Jazz Festival on three completely different sets of dates. I guess they are stretching the festival this year into three separate events even though all the signs have the Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2008 symbol in the upper left corner so they are all related to the general event here.

It looks to me like they are having the Jazz on the Beach (by the Sofitel) similar to last year tonight and tomorrow night. I think this is the main event as there are some famous (at least in Asia) performers on the venue.

Then, as an extension of the Jazz Festival there is the sign you copied into your first post on this thread (Street of Jazz). That looks like they are going to close down a street somewhere in town on the 15th through the 19th and have stages, food, drinks, etc., on a walking street. The sign was in Thai so I'm not sure which street they will use.

The third sign is an add for something called "Jazz in the Town" on the 20th and 21st and I am guessing that that one will be similar to earlier years where they set up stages on the road leading to the beach and in downtown parks (like the one across from TOT).

As I said, they all have the same Jazz Festival logo in the upper left corner but seem to be at different locations, dates through June, and with different sponsors.

Looks we are going to have nine straight evenings to enjoy the music this year if we can just figure out the details of when and where.

Enjoy!

Hope the rain keeps off - tramping about in wet sand sounds aaargh!

See you all there - my first jazz festival since UK in the 60's!

Vulcan, "the 60's"... I take it that your avatar is not your current passport photo then! :o

Very nice photos "The Vulcan", :D

Please post more should you wish to as I and most folks (members) missed this Jazz Festival 2008 in Hua Hin.

Kan Win :o