Dj School In Bangkok

nishamalani

Hi,

Could you please advise me which DJ Schools that teach in English in Bangkok are good?

Paste the website address, name of school and contact details here if possible.

I've looked up, there are some on Nana, Asoke, etc. but is there any place you'd recommend?

Also, which one do you think is better/best between Jazzbah and SAE?

Thank you!

Sorry to say - but club, big room & event DJ's are born ready to go (technical aspects are easily aquired), DJ school is for people who will rarely progress past the home environment, and a nice little earner for DJ's beyond their prime.

Hint - Checkout Pioneer or SAB Lighting Company in Thailand. - Buy a copy of "Sound & Stage" magazine for details.

Cheers,

Soundman. :o

• 11 months later...
Sorry to say - but club, big room & event DJ's are born ready to go (technical aspects are easily aquired), DJ school is for people who will rarely progress past the home environment, and a nice little earner for DJ's beyond their prime.

Hint - Checkout Pioneer or SAB Lighting Company in Thailand. - Buy a copy of "Sound & Stage" magazine for details.

Cheers,

Soundman. :)

once checked out one in Siam Square. Long story short, 4 months later saw the same guy still trying unsuccessfully to mix the same two trance records. The first time I showed him in 5 seconds without headphones. The second time I just looked through records while seeing him still trying to do it for 30 minutes. I don't recommend that place.

If you want to learn to DJ I can teach you no problems. Several years experience playing at huge dance parties including Ministry of Sound and Gatecrasher Australian tours and warmed up for a lot of international producers & djs.

• 6 months later...
If you want to learn to DJ I can teach you no problems. Several years experience playing at huge dance parties including Ministry of Sound and Gatecrasher Australian tours and warmed up for a lot of international producers & djs.

Hi Akirasan----i am looking to learn to DJ and would be really interested to talk to you about lessons

Well, its have to be SAE Bangkok. The Instructor there is DJ Dragon (mongkorn). A well respected DJ in the scene and a passionate teacher with many years of experience and graduated students. cheers

Had a look in SAE. The "DJ school" is part of their music production course. Some talented musicians there.

RAZZ

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Akirasan, do u still DJ for events? We're looking for someone for an event in February in downtown Bangkok. Please reply to <snip> in case you get this message....thanks!

Peter

Edited by soundman
Email removed. PM member.

Cool. What was your alias?

DJ ........?

• 7 months later...

What type of DJ'ing do you want to do? Big difference between playing any type of dance music (i.e beat matching) to hip hop (scratching-dropping) and commercial dj'ing (just q'ing up the (playlisted tracks)

Do you wanna learn on decks (vinyl)

or CD

or MP3 with a controller (Hercules or similair)??

What and where do you want to play?

I DJ'd for 15 years in UK, from pirate radio (no pay - just a passion for tunes) to decent paying raves/parties, up to fashion shows for Armani and BMW car launches where they give you 500quid for a few hours work. Without a shadow of a doubt the unpaid stuff was always the best from a fun point of view.

If anyone has any interest in teaching me, I would like to learn.

I've made a lot of mixes in the past (for fun) by cutting songs up in Sound Forge and then arranging/crossfading them in another program, but I'd like to learn how to mix live and beatmatch in Ableton or Traktor or whatever. I sort of get it already, just don't know how to physically do it, so I don't think I'd be a bad student. Probably wouldn't hurt to learn vinyl too, but I'd prefer to mix mp3s.

Message me if interested. I could pay a little.

I agree entirely, you either have it or you don"t, teqniques are learnt on the job, good luck

I agree entirely, you either have it or you don"t, teqniques are learnt on the job, good luck

Indeed.

"Selection" is the skill you can't aquire. reading a dancefloor and leading them is 99% of the job. I know many people who cant mix but can smash up a party on the tunes they play. conversely there are untold dj's who can mix brilliantly, but what they mix..... thats where the problem lies.

i remember a dj i worked with years ago telling me about watching sasha play (long before he was famous). my mate said that sasha came to the party with 1 record bag - and then played an 8 hour set. his genius and fame came through his natural talent for tune selection

• 7 months later...

Hey to add to this, does anyone know anywhere that offers a practice space in bangkok?

I've just moved here an am yet ship my decks, mixer... But would prob ship my records or at least some over first, my condo being pretty small I doubt I'd get away with banging out tunes every hour of the day. Or alternativly if anyone wants to hookup for a mix when they arrive that would also be cool (I don't know too many folk here at the moment so that would be cool!)

Back on topic tho, your best bet is to get the equipment and lock yourself your room for a week and practice!

And when your in club, don't just listen to the music... Listen to how its mixed, and how the music progresses and the effects that gives on the crowd.

• 2 months later...

Hello ALL!

This is dj co2an... google me for more details.

I'm an active DJ here in BKK with a Saturday residency at Hyde & Seek + Monthly spot at GLOW nightclub. I play regularly at the full moon party + have toured in Philippines and Malaysia.

Ive been playing for 5 years and used to teach ppl in Australia. I got some pretty cool equipment that i know inside out and would be willing to teach anyone looking to learn.

Equipment:

2xCDJ1000 MRK3

DJM800 Mixer

Traktor Control x1

Traktor Pro with control discs

Anything questions PM me.

ENJOYYYY :-)

• 4 weeks later...

0:38 = GOLD! BAHAHAHA

Samurai u forgot 'cue' :P

Im passionate about the DJ community and I strongly believe that you will NEVER be a GREAT dj by JUST learning the techniques, equipment and theory behind it. Being a great DJ comes through passion and experience.

Here is what learning to DJ will NOT do for you:

1. Make you the next Tiesto

2. Teach you the art of selecting the right tracks

3. Teach you to read the dance floor

4. Show you how to work the decks like A-Track

5. MAKE YOU A GOOD DJ

BUUUUUT here is what it WILL do for you:

1. Learn &lt;deleted&gt; all those knobs and buttons are for on the equipment.

2. Get to meet someone enthusiastic about what they do. (NOT your 'DJ mate' that rather smokes a J then show you the in's and outs)

3. Learn short-cuts to things that will take you a shit load of time to figure out on your own.

4. Help you decide if 'this is for you'

5. Save you a load of cash buying equipment if you realize its 'not for you'

6. Get you CONFIDENT enough to play to an audience. (I think this is the key)

7. Teach you how to play using real equipment, not just your computer.

8. Make contacts to get gigs!!!

Its true there isn't much to learn at ALL! You can cover the entire theory and technique behind DJing in about 8 hours (both CD and mp3). I know, through experience, this is all a student needs to know the equipment and techniques inside-out.

Any DJ school out there looking to take more of your time than this is just a DJ 'beyond their prime' (quote soundman) trying to make a quick buck :P

Learning to DJ is a 'kick-start', if you dont need one then of course there are other ways to learn. If you do need one I can teach you all the technical sides to DJing using the current industry standard club CDJ equipment AND computer + MIDI. If you want a FREE 1st lesson PM me or come say hi at one of my gigs. (or check out my FB – facebook.com/co2an)

If not then good luck and hope to play along side you sometime soon :)

If you want to catch up in person you can check me out any Saturday at Hyde n Seek, tonight at Gazebo, I run events at GLOW (Next one on the 24th June) and tour regularly (Malaysia, Philipines, Australia and Thai islands).

KRRUPPPPPPP

co2an

Edited by co2an

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am trying to find somewhere to play....I have been a DJ for 20+ years and and now live here in Bangkok. I thought about putting an ad in the classified section but you're not allowed to add a link to anywhere, which is pretty pointless for me I think.

So I am hoping to get a little interest here...well thats if it allows me to post my small, and now quite old 25 min mix thats on Soundcloud. I have played at many places in the UK, mainly around the south (Southampton, Bournemouth), but have also played at some clubs in London such as The End when it was about and have also been a DJ for some good producers such as 'Affie Yusuf' and 'Trevor Loveys' (Tragic Magic, Switch, Machines Dont Care). So if you know of these, then you can understand I have access to some very good tracks!

Anyway heres the link, hope someone is gonna read this lol

As I said its only a short mix but I think its ok.

Mais183 :)

Hi all,

I am trying to find somewhere to play....I have been a DJ for 20+ years and and now live here in Bangkok. I thought about putting an ad in the classified section but you're not allowed to add a link to anywhere, which is pretty pointless for me I think.

So I am hoping to get a little interest here...well thats if it allows me to post my small, and now quite old 25 min mix thats on Soundcloud. I have played at many places in the UK, mainly around the south (Southampton, Bournemouth), but have also played at some clubs in London such as The End when it was about and have also been a DJ for some good producers such as 'Affie Yusuf' and 'Trevor Loveys' (Tragic Magic, Switch, Machines Dont Care). So if you know of these, then you can understand I have access to some very good tracks!

http://soundcloud.co...2008-25-min-mix

You need a workpermit or take the chance you will be deported

Hi all,

Hey, Mr informative.........do you work for the immigration police???????

Why dont you simply consider that I might actually have a permit?!

Do you!!

I actually already have a job here and am not looking for a job 'DJing'!!

I am just looking for like minded people...and not possible immigration police types like you!! :)

Thanks for the information, you are very kind 5555555

You know drugs and prostitution might get you into trouble too!!!

Cheers buddy :)

Hi all,

Hey, Mr informative.........do you work for the immigration police???????

Why dont you simply consider that I might actually have a permit?!

Do you!!

I actually already have a job here and am not looking for a job 'DJing'!!

I am just looking for like minded people...and not possible immigration police types like you!! :)

Thanks for the information, you are very kind 5555555

You know drugs and prostitution might get you into trouble too!!!

Cheers buddy :)

It was just informational dont get your nickers in a twist :blink: