Increasing The Power Of A Wave 125i?

eljeque

I have a 1 1/2 year old Honda Wave 125i.

It runs just fine, exactly as it should, but I would like to increase its power a little if at all possible, without going hog wild and getting into the motor.

Can a change in the type of spark plug, exhaust, intake or ignition system result in a gain of 10% more power?

Thanks in advance.

Spark plug does nearly nothing.. As its the injection version I dont know about intake mods, often jetting, airflow and exhaust can be done as a package to get notieable increases.

However the main problem with small scooters is the engine is small !!! You say you dont want to get into 'engine stuff' but thats where the power comes from. Very easy to have one of the bike shops put a big bore kit in there and easiest and most reliable way to up the power.

Been thinking about this all day and have a couple of recommendations. First, the hp of this engine is quite small so a 10% increase isn't really a lot of additional power. I think by approaching it from a different direction you may see a noticable gain in performance, without a gain in hp. Frictional loss is the biggest culprit of small engines so the first thing would be to change the oil and use Castrol 100% synthetic motorcycle oil. Use the grade recommended and I think you will find the engine feels peppier. Why, because the synthetic can run thinner and still provide protection. Don't overfill. Another suggestion is to run a slightly higher tire pressure or at least maintain the pressure recommended. Again another source of frictional loss. If you want to go further out for added performance and not have to open up the engine, I suggest finding a supplier of nitrous oxide systems and see if they have a cylinder small enough to fit under your seat. A switch could be mounted on the engine that would open the nitrous when you are at full throttle but would be closed during any other throttle position. That'll definately be a kick in the ass. I don't recommend changing the exhaust system because noise isn't always hp and could upset the balance of intake/exhaust. Check that the aircleaner is clean however. Hope this gives you some ideas

I like all the ideas except the NO2.

Thanks

I will get into these ideas soon.

I did change the muffler to a "free-flow", but not too noisy, on my 16-year old 100 Dream, after boring it out to 125. I did notice a good increase in power in the md to upper RPMs

I am not looking to be Joe-racer, but if I can gain a little here and there, I am happy to make the effort.

Thanks for our advice.