Samui Switches On To Meters

Very good and correct service.

There used to be a minivan rent company that I used to leave going to airport, the same service that resort charge 500b was 200b.

Now it is 150b coming out of the aitport anf 500b going back :D

Even the Bkk airwais airport mafia bus are cheaper than the alternative.

That will leave a very bad experience of Samui to all turists forever i think. Years ago everything was so cheap that nobody cares, now even european taxi seem cheap compared to the island one's. :D

Yeah, even from Ban Rak they charge 500 to airport :D , so, just boycott them! :o or ask the cheapest way.....

For what I know there is NO cheapest way when leaving to airport......

It's always 500b, taxi or minivan from resort...

Samui needs an alternative minivan service, but I suspect that they will have to buy Hummer combat version instead of Japanese minivans....

I used to live next to the Punpreeda Resort in Bangrak. Last May I needed a taxi to the airport so I asked at the reception if they could call one for me. They said they could take me in their minivan and then only charged my 150 baht. I guess maybe because they knew I was thir neighbor?

maybe they hate the <deleted> as much as the rest of us? :D

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good and correct service.

There used to be a minivan rent company that I used to leave going to airport, the same service that resort charge 500b was 200b.

Now it is 150b coming out of the aitport anf 500b going back :D

Even the Bkk airwais airport mafia bus are cheaper than the alternative.

That will leave a very bad experience of Samui to all turists forever i think. Years ago everything was so cheap that nobody cares, now even european taxi seem cheap compared to the island one's. :D

Yeah, even from Ban Rak they charge 500 to airport :D , so, just boycott them! :o or ask the cheapest way.....

For what I know there is NO cheapest way when leaving to airport......

It's always 500b, taxi or minivan from resort...

Samui needs an alternative minivan service, but I suspect that they will have to buy Hummer combat version instead of Japanese minivans....

I used to live next to the Punpreeda Resort in Bangrak. Last May I needed a taxi to the airport so I asked at the reception if they could call one for me. They said they could take me in their minivan and then only charged my 150 baht. I guess maybe because they knew I was thir neighbor?

maybe they hate the <deleted> as much as the rest of us? :D

I arrived at the Samui airport the other night and car would not start so had no real choice but to pay these criminals their fair...I was going about 1.5 KM and would have walked instead, just on principle but my girl was with me so...we asked, taxi says THB 500...then it starts raining...he changes "THB 600"...with a big toothless "smile"...go spend a few days in Chaing Mai or Hua Hin (if you need the refresher) and then realize what a DUMP Samui is. :(

I arrived at the Samui airport the other night and car would not start so had no real choice but to pay these criminals their fair...I was going about 1.5 KM and would have walked instead, just on principle but my girl was with me so...we asked, taxi says THB 500...then it starts raining...he changes "THB 600"...with a big toothless "smile"...go spend a few days in Chaing Mai or Hua Hin (if you need the refresher) and then realize what a DUMP Samui is. :o

So why do you stay then and always post such negative posts..

Are you physically bound to the island it seems not.

N

I arrived at the Samui airport the other night and car would not start so had no real choice but to pay these criminals their fair...I was going about 1.5 KM and would have walked instead, just on principle but my girl was with me so...we asked, taxi says THB 500...then it starts raining...he changes "THB 600"...with a big toothless "smile"...

When I returned to Samui in July I was told that the taxi to Bangrak was 400 baht. I was going to walk to the street and find my own way home but it started to rain so I was stuck paying the 400.

One option I would use instead of taxis were the local bar girls or other bar workers. On a slow afternoon if I needed to go someplace I would go next door and say I needed a ride and did anyone want to take me for X baht? Worked everytime and I'd rather give them money than a crooked taxi. I even got a ride to the airport for free (yeah, I know, they do that for all the guys). :o

I arrived at the Samui airport the other night and car would not start so had no real choice but to pay these criminals their fair...I was going about 1.5 KM and would have walked instead, just on principle but my girl was with me so...we asked, taxi says THB 500...then it starts raining...he changes "THB 600"...with a big toothless "smile"...

When I returned to Samui in July I was told that the taxi to Bangrak was 400 baht. I was going to walk to the street and find my own way home but it started to rain so I was stuck paying the 400.

One option I would use instead of taxis were the local bar girls or other bar workers. On a slow afternoon if I needed to go someplace I would go next door and say I needed a ride and did anyone want to take me for X baht? Worked everytime and I'd rather give them money than a crooked taxi. I even got a ride to the airport for free (yeah, I know, they do that for all the guys). :D

Nope, thats a special just for you koohesti, but please don´t start braggin about size now....... :o:D:D .

Thaireless, i usually agree with you but no reason to slander all of samui for tis issue. Taxis are scum and they dig their own grave. Its said so many times before i can´t even count. Their behavior is seriously hurting turism. So many people i heard say that they don´t come to this island because of the taxis. And i understand them. You come to Bangkok on your arrival to Thailand. You go taximeter for 3 days in Bkk, almost anywhere for 100-150 baht. Then you go to krabi or hua hin and end your holiday with samui. Where the welcome is "no meter, chaeng 500 baht". Your´re fine with it, til you notice that he drove 4 km and 10 minuites. Then you already figured that Taxi is not an alternative on this trip and theres a big chans you dont want to come back.

They dig their on grave. And sadly everybody elses that work in turist buisness aswell....... :D .

I still love samui though, but thats because i never need to be involved with this scum. I have my own vehicles.

This has been discussed so many times..........

Ask any tourist to list the things they dislike most about Samui or Phuket, the one thing that always comes up is taxis. Some extremely powerful people must be making lots of $ cos the harm this does cannot be underestimated.

I wonder who controls the taxi mafia, anyone know?

One option I would use instead of taxis were the local bar girls or other bar workers. On a slow afternoon if I needed to go someplace I would go next door and say I needed a ride and did anyone want to take me for X baht? Worked everytime and I'd rather give them money than a crooked taxi. I even got a ride to the airport for free (yeah, I know, they do that for all the guys). :D

Nope, thats a special just for you koohesti, but please don´t start braggin about size now....... :o:D:( .

It isn't braggin' if you can back it up. I can prove I got a free ride to the airport. In fact, just ask the "maid" you hired to clean up while your wife was out of town. :D:D:D "Taxi", "maid", why not? At least you can usually see they aren't packing a gun in case you refuse to pay after they demand more than the agreed fare. Can't say the same about the local Samui cabbies.

So why do you stay then and always post such negative posts..

Are you physically bound to the island it seems not.

N

emmmmmm lets see....emmm, how about because I want to AND on top of that MANY things, like the taxi mafi SUCK about Samui all at the same time....sorry if understanding both of those at the same time is beyond you :o

I just returned from a week in Bali, had not been there for many years and it was interesting to compare with Samui, where I have lived for the past 4 years. Bali taxis are cheap when they go on the meter, which they will do if you ask them (their default is to not mention it and try to haggle with you after the ride), and i don't mind topping up with a decent tip for a pleasant ride. Also, you can get your own minibus, with english speaking driver, including fuel, for an 8hr day for equiv of 1000 baht. The roads are mostly very well maintained, The hotels much cheaper than here, and there is almost no visible garbage. They fly 747's and the like in from all over, so it is easy to see Samui taking an ass kicking from this island. Samui will not change until they lose tons of money, and then they won't change because they lack the funds to do so. I still enjoy my life here on the whole, but there certainly are alternatives...

emmmmmm lets see....emmm, how about because I want to AND on top of that MANY things, like the taxi mafi SUCK about Samui all at the same time....sorry if understanding both of those at the same time is beyond you :o

What is beyond me is maybe that also your above post makes no sense.

Not interested in being baited, just that I and feel I am not alone here are somewhat tired of such repetitive negative posts.

If that makes me ignorant as you try to infer , then i shall remain blissfully so thank you.

why not have another moan .. I am sure I will get some mileage out of it yet.

I just returned from a week in Bali, had not been there for many years and it was interesting to compare with Samui, where I have lived for the past 4 years. Bali taxis are cheap when they go on the meter, which they will do if you ask them (their default is to not mention it and try to haggle with you after the ride), and i don't mind topping up with a decent tip for a pleasant ride. Also, you can get your own minibus, with english speaking driver, including fuel, for an 8hr day for equiv of 1000 baht. The roads are mostly very well maintained, The hotels much cheaper than here, and there is almost no visible garbage. They fly 747's and the like in from all over, so it is easy to see Samui taking an ass kicking from this island. Samui will not change until they lose tons of money, and then they won't change because they lack the funds to do so. I still enjoy my life here on the whole, but there certainly are alternatives...

I agree 100%. I love Bali. Only problem my business here, otherwise....ciao

emmmmmm lets see....emmm, how about because I want to AND on top of that MANY things, like the taxi mafi SUCK about Samui all at the same time....sorry if understanding both of those at the same time is beyond you :D

Not interested in being baited, just that I and feel I am not alone here are somewhat tired of such repetitive negative posts.

If that makes me ignorant as you try to infer , then i shall remain blissfully so thank you.

I like to moan when appropriate...grow up and deal with it. Samui is NOT paradise, so why not talk about its downsides as well?...or do you have some land for sale :o .... :D

emmmmmm lets see....emmm, how about because I want to AND on top of that MANY things, like the taxi mafi SUCK about Samui all at the same time....sorry if understanding both of those at the same time is beyond you :D

I like to moan when appropriate...grow up and deal with it. Samui is NOT paradise, so why not talk about its downsides as well?...or do you have some land for sale :o .... :D

Wow am I still getting mileage out of this one..