Samui Switches On To Meters

Samui district chief Adisorn Kamnerdsi, third from left, joins Samui tourism and taxi operators posting a sticker announcing ``extra charge 90 baht'' on a taxi, to show its new meter-based fare rate.

SURAT THANI : Taxi drivers on Koh Samui have found a way to avoid quarrels with passengers and run their business more smoothly _ by simply switching on their meters.

Fees will no longer be calculated on a subjective basis by the driver, whose estimates are often decried by tourists as too expensive.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/09Jun2008_news09.php

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

90-baht flagfall, a 50-baht-per-kilometre rate for the first 2km, and then a per-km rate which decreases as the journey lengthens. The rate drops to 11 baht per km after 2km, falls again after 11km to 9 baht per km and hits a 7-baht minimum after 20km.

190 baht for the first 2k? Wow. Still cheaper than 500 baht I guess.

Samui district chief Adisorn Kamnerdsi, third from left, joins Samui tourism and taxi operators posting a sticker announcing ``extra charge 90 baht'' on a taxi, to show its new meter-based fare rate.

SURAT THANI : Taxi drivers on Koh Samui have found a way to avoid quarrels with passengers and run their business more smoothly _ by simply switching on their meters.

Fees will no longer be calculated on a subjective basis by the driver, whose estimates are often decried by tourists as too expensive.

Crazy! What an advertising "extra charge 90 THB"! Two kilometers are 190 THB, same before.

In BKK 10 km taxi is 55 THB while here it will be 278 THB. This is "organized crime".

Crazy! What an advertising "extra charge 90 THB"! Two kilometers are 190 THB, same before.

In BKK 10 km taxi is 55 THB while here it will be 278 THB. This is "organized crime".

Sure is & it hasn't been approved by the authorities.Glad to report Taxi Mafia alive & well.

this is what will happen next week or so:

taxis will switch off their meter, go back to the ripoff fares, and add an extra 90 baht because they have a new government sticker

exactly. :o

Gas prices are going through the roof and all of a sudden taxis will start charging less? Not likely.

Edited by koheesti

Many drivers have experienced difficulties finding passengers.................

Good, at least the message is getting through!

Be sure they are long time aware to this, but there are simply way too many taxis and not one will bow and simply drive by the meter - all these extras and specials - what for - because there is so much more business here then in Pun Pin?

they are still not hurting enough - BOYCOTT them!

Only use Cabs, Song Teows with reasonable prices - they are out there!

These new fares have not been approved by any government body.It will also be very interesting to see who will calibrate their meters & make sure they are tamper proof. A law all of their own they are,simply shunning any govrnment directives or control. Let the good times roll.

These new fares have not been approved by any government body.It will also be very interesting to see who will calibrate their meters & make sure they are tamper proof. A law all of their own they are,simply shunning any govrnment directives or control. Let the good times roll.

Rooo seems to get a kick out of this, maybe he's got a fleet of them?! :D:o

BOYCOTT NOW!

Even if the taxis were ripping you off on a meter, it's still better than being insulted by a stupid fare. Once when going from one end of Ban Rak to the other, not even 2km, a taxi driver said he'd take us for 500 baht. Now that justs insults our intelligence. Maybe he thought we were 'proper' tourists. I answered 100 baht and walked away, he pulled up beside s and we agreed 200, still a rip off as he was going in that direction. However, if I knew that every time it would cost 200 baht, I would be willing to se it occsionally. Like that night we knew we were in for a long haul dinking session. This haggle and rip off ritual just irks me!

Only use them to a fair price. Speak Thai and pay them a beer and they will take you for a fair price. But only if you and the driver have a lot, and I mean a lot, of time and sanuk. I found that artical 'the joke of the year!' lol

Rooo seems to get a kick out of this, maybe he's got a fleet of them?! :D:o

BOYCOTT NOW!

Just to show you the mentality of these taxi MOBSTERS. 400 + taxis on the island,they can't even regulate themselves in this regard & they think they can justify riping people off.Reduce the number of taxis,fair price =more work.But nah that wouldn't make sense now, too much hard work , wear & tear on the car & not enough time for all the get togothers for a smoke & shoot the breeze.

another Amazing Thailand Story!

we have to BOYCOTT THEM NOW and forever ! F***** Taxi Maffia.

The latest rates from BigC to Tesco-Lotus was 200baht (1200m distance) :D

With the new rates we have to pay only 150baht, what a great deal! :o

Why we don't have the same rates here as in bangkok with a little island surcharge (because the gasoline costs more here)?

Good luck for the yellow-cabs in samui, but the day will come and will finish these tourist rip off.

Chayaphum

.......... he pulled up beside s and we agreed 200, still a rip off as he was going in that direction. However, if I knew that every time it would cost 200 baht, ..............edit.......... This haggle and rip off ritual just irks me!

they ask these exorbitant prices because people like YOU are still paying these insane sums of money for a minute service!

250 get's you all the way from On NUT (Sukhumvit) to SAMUT PRKAHN (near ancient City)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Baht gets you a fair bit around suratthani, hat yai, the baht buses (Pick up) in Pattaya do only charge 20 baht for the longest ride around!

Why is samui an exemption?

Boycott them greedy Taxistas

...a word to the democrats, the PAD? who helps to sponsor them? :o

You will be happy to know that on my last visit to Samui (Aug 2007) I followed the advice of Samui TV members and boycotted the taxis and told my 5 tourist friends to do so also. I used songthaews and rental bikes.

Spread the word.

.......... he pulled up beside s and we agreed 200, still a rip off as he was going in that direction. However, if I knew that every time it would cost 200 baht, ..............edit.......... This haggle and rip off ritual just irks me!

they ask these exorbitant prices because people like YOU are still paying these insane sums of money for a minute service!

250 get's you all the way from On NUT (Sukhumvit) to SAMUT PRKAHN (near ancient City)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Baht gets you a fair bit around suratthani, hat yai, the baht buses (Pick up) in Pattaya do only charge 20 baht for the longest ride around!

Why is samui an exemption?

Because Samui still attracts (and will always do so in the future) too many of the big-spending such-called "quality-tourists" who come here and think "oh my god, everything so cheap here....."

this will never change.

its not only a Samui-Problem. the same applies for Phuket and, increasingly, Krabi.

I think the last time i was there i caught a metered taxi from the lake to a bar was about 150 baht, no meter but i knew that was coming anyway!, next night came out of the hotel near the lake and got in a metered taxi same destination but it was raining! asked him how much he said 300 baht, i explained i caught a taxi same distance last night for 150 baht, answer, yes but now raining!! What a joke!!

On a serious note aren't all taxis supposed to be licensed and a licensed meter taxi is advertising that it is a meter taxi but they are not using there meters which i would have thought is breaking there license terms for that cab, o.k if they dont want to use the meter take the sign off and become a charterd taxi i am sure if the goverment there wanted to they could imply fines for not using the meters and revoke licenses for metered taxis that are not compling with the rules !!, instead of being held to ransom!! ie we demand 100 baht flag down!! :o simple soloution here i think! you have a metered taxi with the appropiate license, fail to comply will result in license revoked and fined heavily with car impounded until fine paid ! that should be what is happening ! Rant over!

Can't someone open a "Farang Taxi" and anounce 30% cheaper than yellow and NO SURCHARGE IN RAIN :D Now that's a money maker! As in the 60-70's in SF they had pirate taxis driving all day and night, NO Problem! Someone should check on it! Yea, I know they got the guns! But we GOT the NUMERS! :o:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by SamuiJens

i wonder if this was in any thai language newspapers, i think not !, maybe that page should be printed out and handed to some of the bangkok taxi companys! would sure put a fast halt on that idea!!with every taxi company wanting the same deal!! :o

• 2 weeks later...