Samui Switches On To Meters

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 of us got one of the new METERED taxi's today and he would not use the meter unless we paid 90bt per person surcharge.

THIS JUST ABOUT SUMS THEM UP

Why does this not suprise me! Un-educated pr**ks

Do you mean tourists that pay whatever is asked because it is 'so cheap' and therefore keep this scam alive?

Or the 'smart' taxidrivers that know many uneducated tourists arrive with every plane and boat.

Doesn't the Thai Tourism Authority advertise on Thai Visa? Shouldn't this be brought to their attention regarding discriminatory national pricing within Thailand.

I would totally boycott if I lived in Samui.

How about a group of say 5/10 residents - each with cars - offering free lifts to tourists as certain 'taxi populated' places. Get the Local press there to take photos and report on the response to this 90by stupid initiative by 'concerned residents'. Show up the rip off merchants for what they are........ :o

(ALthough as this is 'law abiding' Thailand, be prepared to encounter some violence later on at night from the irate taxi drivers.....) :D

3 of us got one of the new METERED taxi's today and he would not use the meter unless we paid 90bt per person surcharge.

Why does this not suprise me! Un-educated pr**ks

Do you mean tourists that pay whatever is asked because it is 'so cheap' and therefore keep this scam alive?

Or the 'smart' taxidrivers that know many uneducated tourists arrive with every plane and boat.

I mean the M150 swilling, lazy, rude, aggressive and greedy taxi drivers.

The only "good thing" for me about high taxi prices on Samui is that I've been visiting friends up here in Estonia this month and the high taxi prices here seem reasonable after 9 months on Samui (as do pints of beer). A year ago I wouldn't pay 50 EEK (~170 baht) for a taxi anywhere unless necessary but now 100 EEK (~340 baht) doesn't bother me. It's still lower than what the crooks on Samui try to charge.

Is the 90 THB surcharge now per person?

Last week I went with my mom from Lipa Noi to Airport - we hired a van for 600 THB instead of lazy greedy Mr. Cab.

BOYCOTT THEM!

• 2 weeks later...
These new fares have not been approved by any government body.It will also be very interesting to see who will calibrate their meters & make sure they are tamper proof. A law all of their own they are,simply shunning any govrnment directives or control. Let the good times roll.

Rooo seems to get a kick out of this, maybe he's got a fleet of them?! :D:o

BOYCOTT NOW!

Just to show you the mentality of these taxi MOBSTERS. 400 + taxis on the island,they can't even regulate themselves in this regard & they think they can justify riping people off.Reduce the number of taxis,fair price =more work.But nah that wouldn't make sense now, too much hard work , wear & tear on the car & not enough time for all the get togothers for a smoke & shoot the breeze.

worst people on the island by far -the award goes to .....the taxi drivers..worst service ,shit drivers who dont know their own <deleted> let alone their way around samui-i mean how big is it -not.as soon as you say you are local and mention a couple of thai words they drop their ridiculous price by 50%.as to this new scam all i can say -what a load of bullshit.another monkey brained idea.i do know it was introduced because of the big hotel owners getting tired of the way thing are run here-who isnt ,tourists are sick of getting ripped off and finally complaining a bit louder now.i do know though its easy to get a taxi here,just apply,then the mafia will give you one then you have to pay them a min of 500bht/shift.dont you also love them outside tesco-too lazy to even lift their heads off the bench as they shout tazi,taxi at you..ha ha boycott them all.

ok ive had my whinge,time to chill out now .

ps dont let them ruin your holiday here its still a cool place.

Maybe they can hand out cards at the airport, port & hotels written in Thai & English that people can show to the taxi driver. The text could include something about using meters and not cheating tourists or whatever. The card can include spaces to fill in the starting point, destination, taxi # & price. It can work as a postcard that when filled out, the tourist can drop in a mailbox (do they exist here?).

Edited by koheesti

The whole reason for people making suggestions on how to get the taxis to stop scamming tourists, is the lame police. Allthough koohesti´s idea seems great, i have to say that the real problem is the police. Laws are simply being ignored. Taxi-meter is the law of Thailand and it works fine everywhere else. Just as helmet when you drive a bike or smoke-ban indoors or any other law that is not enforced in samui. I dont see why we should come up with new laws and ideas, when the real problem infact is that the police are busy with other things than to see laws being enforced and tourists being safe.

Shout down the thai lottery and tv-system for some weeks might bring the police back to work? :o

The whole reason for people making suggestions on how to get the taxis to stop scamming tourists, is the lame police. Allthough koohesti´s idea seems great, i have to say that the real problem is the police. Laws are simply being ignored. Taxi-meter is the law of Thailand and it works fine everywhere else. Just as helmet when you drive a bike or smoke-ban indoors or any other law that is not enforced in samui. I dont see why we should come up with new laws and ideas, when the real problem infact is that the police are busy with other things than to see laws being enforced and tourists being safe.

Shout down the thai lottery and tv-system for some weeks might bring the police back to work? :o

Police and taxi on samui work hand in glove :D

Edited by SamuiJens

Besides the police being viable to back handers, there's not enough police personnel on Samui to deal with the increase of the population.

Besides the police being viable to back handers, there's not enough police personnel on Samui to deal with the increase of the population.

You got that right.

Shout down the Thai lottery and tv-system for some weeks might bring the police back to work? :o

while agree with you on the basics. I believe your are pointing at the wrong solution.

the police don't have authority to deal with the meter taxis regarding the use of meters.

the ones who are responsible are located at the land transportation department in the transportation ministry.

in every meter taxi there is a card showing the rules and a phone number for complaints (it in English as well)

Apart from boycotting them there is another solution to get authorities to do something is by complaining.

I think a flood of faxes e mails and phone calls to the minister himself will get something moving.

Shout down the Thai lottery and tv-system for some weeks might bring the police back to work? :o

while agree with you on the basics. I believe your are pointing at the wrong solution.

the police don't have authority to deal with the meter taxis regarding the use of meters.

the ones who are responsible are located at the land transportation department in the transportation ministry.

in every meter taxi there is a card showing the rules and a phone number for complaints (it in English as well)

Apart from boycotting them there is another solution to get authorities to do something is by complaining.

I think a flood of faxes e mails and phone calls to the minister himself will get something moving.

Any chance of re-producing this card on the Forum please? I don't then have to break my boycott!

Any chance of re-producing this card on the Forum please? I don't then have to break my boycott!

Dear Gator I don't have a picture of it but will try to get a taxi and get the pciture of the card and post it.

i believe that the boycott should continue. I for one am not using them. As i posted on previous posts I totally respect their right to try and scam. and i totlay accept the fact that they can do what they want.

I don't say anything bad about them and i don't argue with them... I just don't use them.

however for those of you who are on a crusade about this issue: :D

here are a few points that were discussed before.

1. a great idea from one of our posters is to hand out t shirts to all the foreigner at Samui airport . the t shirt will have the slogan "no meter- no go" or "no meter- " no taxi"

2. have people lined up a bout 10 people lined up 300 meters from each other on the main street and they signal every taxi . and ask the driver to use the meter when he says no meter the can jsut say no thank you politely.

3. bombard the government offices with complaints about this.

this is where to complain... and if you get enough people sending e mails I am sure at some point the government will take action.

Mr. Silpachai. Jarukasemratana, Director General of DLT.

[email protected]

he issue taxi licenses and he can revoke them :D

the consumer protection board

[email protected]

if they have validity then this would be a perfect case for them.

now just imagine if they were to get thousands of e mails.... and someone also let the media know about this... :D

Can't someone open a "Farang Taxi" and anounce 30% cheaper than yellow and NO SURCHARGE IN RAIN :D Now that's a money maker! As in the 60-70's in SF they had pirate taxis driving all day and night, NO Problem! Someone should check on it! Yea, I know they got the guns! But we GOT the NUMERS! :o:D:D:D:D:D

hehe a farang taxi would last about as long as as cold singha in hel_l

gotta be careful slipping a thai mate a bit of petrol money for a lift in to town

if you want to start a taxi business go for it B) up to you

Can't someone open a "Farang Taxi" and anounce 30% cheaper than yellow and NO SURCHARGE IN RAIN :D Now that's a money maker! As in the 60-70's in SF they had pirate taxis driving all day and night, NO Problem! Someone should check on it! Yea, I know they got the guns! But we GOT the NUMERS! :o:D:D:D:D:D

hehe a farang taxi would last about as long as as cold singha in hel_l

gotta be careful slipping a thai mate a bit of petrol money for a lift in to town

if you want to start a taxi business go for it :D up to you

NOT me, son, I like living, but would be nice if the Farang Police did this service, then at least they'd be doing something good! B)

• 4 months later...

I first went to Samui about 15 years ago. Taxis were a piss take then. Now I live in Thailand, I occasionally take a break somewhere. Living mostly in Pattaya, Samui and Phuket are both easy but whilst Phuket is a rip off, nothing compares with Samui.

Firstly, some little shit wants Bt300 or more each in a packed minivan to drive you to your hotel which could be 10 minutes away. Some people are only 5 minutes away. That is £6 which even in London would get you a few km at least. With 5 in the taxi it would still only be £6 and you could drive all around central London for £6 each !

Then you want to go from one place to another. Loony money and even the songthaews are a piss take.

Then when you've been fleeced enough you head for the airport only to find that they want Bt400 or something for using their little straw hut.

Next time you want a break you don't think of rip off Samui. In fact, Thailand has many many places better all around than Samui. I ike the island (liked it more years ago) but just can't deal with the shit. Don't have to so just don't go anymore.

I had a group of friends visit in October (6 adults, 2 kids) and I warned them about the ripoff taxis. They talked to the reception where they were staying (a really nice place I won't name just in case the taxi mafi wants to go over and decapitate them) and they got a van to take the whole group around for 300 baht per trip (it was also on call for them the whole time they were here). 300 baht isn't bad considering they would have needed two regualr taxis. It is kinda sad though that 300 baht is considered cheap.

I have been seeing lots of new signs around samui advertising LPG. Is LPG now available in samui or are they advertising for the conversions only. If LPG is now available doesn't that nail the coffin shut on their claims that prices are high cos they have to use diesel?

On a side note, i just returned from BKK where i went to buy a vehicle, and i hired an english speaking taxi and driver from 9am to 8pm, he drove approx 80 - 100 km around BKK and acted as translator during the transaction and helped me through the name change procedure. He knew all the places to look for good deals, haggled mercilessly on my behalf when servicing the vehicle, buying tires / shocks etc.( saved me 1200 baht on tires alone.) He made the whole experience easy and i was more than happy with the 1500 baht a day he asked for and added a 500 tip for the last day.

Last time i used a taxi in samui was from airport to wat plai laem and was 500 baht for a 4 minute trip! Top value...

Anyone hear of another shooting, possibly taxi mafia related, in choeng mon last tue evening on the road that goes from choeng mon up past sila evason towards tong sai? Drove past about 20:00 and loads of taxi's, police, crime scene tape, and photographers taking pictures of a body?

Sooner the government sorts out these robbing scum the better......

Cheers

Smartie

I had a group of friends visit in October (6 adults, 2 kids) and I warned them about the ripoff taxis. They talked to the reception where they were staying (a really nice place I won't name just in case the taxi mafi wants to go over and decapitate them) and they got a van to take the whole group around for 300 baht per trip (it was also on call for them the whole time they were here). 300 baht isn't bad considering they would have needed two regualr taxis. It is kinda sad though that 300 baht is considered cheap.

Very good and correct service.

There used to be a minivan rent company that I used to leave going to airport, the same service that resort charge 500b was 200b.

Now it is 150b coming out of the aitport anf 500b going back :D

Even the Bkk airwais airport mafia bus are cheaper than the alternative.

That will leave a very bad experience of Samui to all turists forever i think. Years ago everything was so cheap that nobody cares, now even european taxi seem cheap compared to the island one's. :o

There used to be a minivan rent company that I used to leave going to airport, the same service that resort charge 500b was 200b.

That will leave a very bad experience of Samui to all turists forever i think. Years ago everything was so cheap that nobody cares, now even european taxi seem cheap compared to the island one's. :D

Yeah, even from Ban Rak they charge 500 to airport :D , so, just boycott them! :o or ask the cheapest way.....

close.gif Read more >> Options >> answers-logo.gif

Edited by SamuiJens

That will leave a very bad experience of Samui to all turists forever i think. Years ago everything was so cheap that nobody cares, now even european taxi seem cheap compared to the island one's. :D

Yeah, even from Ban Rak they charge 500 to airport :D , so, just boycott them! :o or ask the cheapest way.....

For what I know there is NO cheapest way when leaving to airport......

It's always 500b, taxi or minivan from resort...

Samui needs an alternative minivan service, but I suspect that they will have to buy Hummer combat version instead of Japanese minivans....

Samui needs an alternative minivan service, but I suspect that they will have to buy Hummer combat version instead of Japanese minivans....

Not if you know(meet) ppl there than can give you a lift....even ppl you meet there might help you out for 100 baht, f. ex. Better than the taxi/Van rip-off artists!

Edited by SamuiJens

I used to live next to the Punpreeda Resort in Bangrak. Last May I needed a taxi to the airport so I asked at the reception if they could call one for me. They said they could take me in their minivan and then only charged my 150 baht. I guess maybe because they knew I was thir neighbor?