International Driving Licence For A Thai

Kevin17

It is most certainly one year on a Thai license and then you must take the test. But you should also consider how much the insurance will cost you. When I looked for quotes the price doubled if my wife was going to use the car.

In answer to confirm information go on Internet site

DVLA UK

catagory :- Driving Licenses

Driving licences issued in any other country

• you can drive any small vehicle eg cars and or motorcycles, shown on your driving licence, for a period of 12 months from the date that you last entered the country, as long as it remains full and valid

My wife has been in the UK for two years now but has never driven.

So if you read this literally, it should mean if my wife left the UK (which she has),

for a 2 month visit to Thailand and returned, then she would be allowed to drive when she got back.

True or False?

John.....

Not if your wife has residence here. There have been other threads on this and you would do well to seek them out. For a start if 2 months made a difference why would a week not have the same effect ? Its a really complex matter and the DVLA guide is only that....a guide. That notwithstanding, the residence factor is the decider. My brother-in-law has been driving here for over 20 years on an International licence, legally, he lives in the US and comes here for holidays and business and hires cars. That is what International licences were designed for.

Other factors to consider are, if you hold or apply for a provisional licence then your international driving licence is no longer valid for driving in the UK. Yet another factor is that if your wife hopes to obtain UK Citizenship that even a minor motoring offence (other than a fixed penalty)will count against her. That is where it becomes complex, if your wife gets stopped and questions arise over her licence then they also do over the insurance as insurance is only valid if the licence is. Offence's like that "reset" the clock and citizenship applications have to go back to the start...AFTER...the "rehabilitation" period has expired. Given the way that UK motoring is now monitored with linked databases and numberplate recognition systems that are linked to them driving here can be about the riskiest thing anyone hoping to get UK citizenship can do.

These factors may not apply to you but may well apply to others. One final thing, lots of circumstances now where the car ends up in the crusher !!!

"Other factors to consider are, if you hold or apply for a provisional licence then your international driving licence is no longer valid for driving in the UK."

Let me clarify that. During the 12 month period if you obtain a provisional licence you are not subject to its conditions, having to display "L" plates etc. The problem arises with hire cars on some agreements and insurance policies on other cars and depends on the precise wording. Its unlikely to prove to be a problem in most cases.

Also on the question of what happens if you leave the UK and return the following applies. If you return to your home country for a period less than 185 days and then come back to the UK the 12 month period does not start again. Even if you do go back for more than the 185 days required your still on thin ice if you have a permanent residence permit. The whole situation is fraught with if's and buts so be careful.

Edited by roamer

She should be able to use her Thai license - but not 100% sure. In the U.S., the International License is no good.

That is not true. My wife uses her international DL from Thailand in the USA. My insurance covers it. The trick is finding an insurance company that will cover it..

"Other factors to consider are, if you hold or apply for a provisional licence then your international driving licence is no longer valid for driving in the UK."

Let me clarify that. During the 12 month period if you obtain a provisional licence you are not subject to its conditions, having to display "L" plates etc. The problem arises with hire cars on some agreements and insurance policies on other cars and depends on the precise wording. Its unlikely to prove to be a problem in most cases.

Also on the question of what happens if you leave the UK and return the following applies. If you return to your home country for a period less than 185 days and then come back to the UK the 12 month period does not start again. Even if you do go back for more than the 185 days required your still on thin ice if you have a permanent residence permit. The whole situation is fraught with if's and buts so be careful.

I didn't think she would be able to, thanks for clearing that up.

My wife has been on a spouse visa and only recently got her IDLR. I suppose she would still have been classed as a resident prior to this, so it looks like she will have to get her provisional and take the test, which won't be easy passing the theory, the practical would be no problem for her. I think I'll try ringing the DVLA when I get home to clarify everything.

Thanks for the help.

John.....

My wife has been on a spouse visa and only recently got her IDLR. I suppose she would still have been classed as a resident prior to this, so it looks like she will have to get her provisional and take the test, which won't be easy passing the theory, the practical would be no problem for her. I think I'll try ringing the DVLA when I get home to clarify everything.

Thanks for the help.

John.....

John if it helps when taking the theory test as Thai is, or certainly was, one of the few languages its not been translated into, you can have a translator if English is the problem. Has to be a DVLA approved one though. If thats not the problem I would say there are some excellent PC programs that with practice get you there. My wife passed her theory with almost exactly the same score she was banging out on the computer day after day. The test however is a different animal, firmly convinced its down to luck on the day. And whatever you do make sure she has lessons with an instructor otherwise failure is guaranteed, the habits that make a good driver ain't the same ones you need to pass the test !! Good luck to you both.

Thanks for the help.

John.....

John if it helps when taking the theory test as Thai is, or certainly was, one of the few languages its not been translated into, you can have a translator if English is the problem. Has to be a DVLA approved one though. If thats not the problem I would say there are some excellent PC programs that with practice get you there. My wife passed her theory with almost exactly the same score she was banging out on the computer day after day. The test however is a different animal, firmly convinced its down to luck on the day. And whatever you do make sure she has lessons with an instructor otherwise failure is guaranteed, the habits that make a good driver ain't the same ones you need to pass the test !! Good luck to you both.

And, for God's sake, tell her not to offer the examiner 500 baht tea money! :whistling:

Thanks for the help.

John.....

Yeh mate that's the problem, the language barrier. I bought her a book last year with the questions in it and she is learning English here, but it;s the reading and writing part that she struggles with. A translator might not be a bad idea if we could find one. Her driving skills are good and she drives very carefully, although I would get her lessons like you suggest. For now it looks like she will keep having to plug away at the English lessons. I'll also have a look for the PC programs, that would be a big help.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

John.....

Edited by johnsurin

Thanks for the help.

John.....

Yeh mate that's the problem, the language barrier. I bought her a book last year with the questions in it and she is learning English here, but it;s the reading and writing part that she struggles with. A translator might not be a bad idea if we could find one. Her driving skills are good and she drives very carefully, although I would get her lessons like you suggest. For now it looks like she will keep having to plug away at the English lessons. I'll also have a look for the PC programs, that would be a big help.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

John.....

You can also do a mock test online here minus the video clips.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017669

Yeh mate that's the problem, the language barrier. I bought her a book last year with the questions in it and she is learning English here, but it;s the reading and writing part that she struggles with. A translator might not be a bad idea if we could find one.

If she is confident in her spoken English, she can opt to have the questions read to her in English through headphones.

If she does want a translator, then she has to use a DSA approved one. It is her responsibility to arrange a mutually convenient date, and obviously she will have to pay them.

See Facilities for those whose first language is not English.

The practical test is different. She can take her own translator if she feels the need, and this can just be a friend. However, the examiner will make it clear that the translator must only speak to translate what the examiner says and if they speak when the examiner hasn't spoken then the examiner will assume that they are giving advice or instructions and abandon the test.