Bottled Water

earlofwindermere

We currently use a popular bottled water company that delivers large bottles of water to our home on a weekly basis. We've started to wonder how "clean" the water is after we recently discovered some green algae in one of the bottles. Does anyone know of any company that has been tested and adheres to a water quality higher than just straight from the tap/faucet (which apparently some companies do here).

Rather than responding with "I use xxx company and have had no problems," can any of you direct me to a water company (the large bottles) that are known to have good filtration and sanitation procedures?

Thanks.

We use the roadside dispensers...

big, white, vending machine looking things that dispense filtererd water for approx 1B a L.

A lot of locals use them, and it's cheap... and we've never had any problems from it (though I couldn't tell you what the actual filtration system consists of - or if it's better than what you're using)!

It may be worth considering as an alternative if you're not happy with what you're currently using though.

The only downside is that you have to carry the full water bottles back home, not bad if theres 2 of you and you can both carry 2 x 4L, but not ideal if you can't for whatever reason.

The actual water is not the problem it's the recycled containers that are used. Some are returned after sitting in the sun for some time, and develop a lovely green mould in the bottom. One would imagine that proper "scouring" would alleviate this algae.

The companies come and go with monotonous regularity, so that over the years you build up an enormous collection of bottles from defunct companies, and of course, the new suppliers will not touch the old containers.

Glacier used to be the best for clean containers, but they went tits up years ago, and I still have some of their bottles.

I would suggest asking your supplier if you can inspect their facilities, to satisfy your concerns...MM

Edited by Maejo Man

I too use the big water bottles for home delivery, and never have had any troubles. As for not using the roadside ones to refill myself.... I remember a story yrs back in The States where they investigated the vending machines and found that the filters were hardly ever changed and that the majority of the water being sold to the public by them was dirty. My thinking is that if it happens in the US, what about Thld ? To me it seems too easy to ignore regular maintenance, just go by and collect the money from the box, and let ppl keep serving themselves water passed thru a dirty system. But of course this leads back to the original question about how clean the big bottles are too. I think trying to get in for a factory tour is on the agenda...someone's agenda. Any volunteers ?

I think trying to get in for a factory tour is on the agenda...someone's agenda. Any volunteers ?

I'd be interested in that but I don't know that'd you'd really learn much other than from the general upkeep of the place. After all, you'll just see the water feed going into a filter system of some kind but it's not really going to give you much info as to the maintenance and cleaning regime. I'm keen to take a look anyway - maybe I can get a shot of the local soi dogs stopping by for a drink from the holding tank on the botting line... :o

Us: Big bottles.....local shop....still alive.