Can Someone Explain To Me

girlx

why is it that i can call someone in the US with Skype and we'll have a perfect connection for an hour, but if I call someone on the other side of BKK it drops out, has a lot of static, and is basically useless? I have tested this out with different users and from several different locations in BKK, so it shouldn't just be my internet connection.

Funny you should post this.

I have had Skype for over a year and consistently I can call people in Thailand with few problems but when I try to call the UK, it almost always fails. My "symptoms" are the complete reverse of yours!

This tends to confirm to me that Skype is a patchy service at best.

Skype relies on Internet bandwith to carry voice content. And, in general, there is much greater/less crowded Internet bandwith WITHIN Thailand compared to Internet traffic vs. capacity going between Thailand and the outside world...

So, in general, you should get a much better call quality for conversations inside Thailand compared to those going international....

However, for example, if the other parties you're talking with in Thailand potentially have a dial-up (slow) connections, which aren't really ideal for voice, then they would have trouble hearing you clearly and you'd likely have trouble hearing them...not because of your connection but because of theirs....

I also use Skype and other VOIP services for international telephony...And I likewise noticed that all my connections were lousy at the end of last week...for some unknown reason... Evenings here are usually the worst, because that's when shared capacity DSL lines are most used when people are off work in the evenings... Late nights and mornings/daytimes seem to go better.