Impossible To Open A Thai Bank Accont Now Without Wp

This topic comes up so often. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a pinned topic about successful bank account openings with date, branch, information required and length of time taken? It really is hit-and-miss as we all know so surely information like this would be really useful? Just a thought ...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably because they have a non-resident account which pays no interest
Savings Deposit Interest Rate (%) / Year

Current Deposit 0.00

Savings deposit for :

- Retail Customer

Savings deposit for :

- Non Resident - Individual

If you see a black swan, do you automatically assume ALL swans are black or would you allow that somewhere there may be some white swans?

Just for the record, non-resident doesnt necessarily apply to foreigners. It can also apply to Thai's living overseas for tax purposes.

I repeat - interest bearing accounts are available for Thais and foreigners alike. To suggest otherwise simply perpetuates yet another of those 'anti-farang' myths.

Kasikorn Bank was no problem on a non immigrant O just turn up with a largish bundle of cash to deposit they didnt say no.

You are talking about openning bank account with O visa. The original poster of this thread only has tourist visa.

case closed.

hab only tourist visa me, K-Bank goot!

case close, as they say

Probably because they have a non-resident account which pays no interest
Savings Deposit Interest Rate (%) / Year

Current Deposit 0.00

Savings deposit for :

- Retail Customer

Savings deposit for :

- Non Resident - Individual

If you see a black swan, do you automatically assume ALL swans are black or would you allow that somewhere there may be some white swans?

Just for the record, non-resident doesnt necessarily apply to foreigners. It can also apply to Thai's living overseas for tax purposes.

I repeat - interest bearing accounts are available for Thais and foreigners alike. To suggest otherwise simply perpetuates yet another of those 'anti-farang' myths.

I thought that was what I said. There are different types of accounts - it is not based on them being foreigners.

Kasikorn Bank was no problem on a non immigrant O just turn up with a largish bundle of cash to deposit they didnt say no.

You are talking about openning bank account with O visa. The original poster of this thread only has tourist visa.

case closed.

Case is not closed as the below clearly indicates - Bangkok Bank has specific policy for such a case for tourist as outlined below. A year or two ago it was almost impossible - now it appears routine, at least at BBL, if you provide a reference.

If you are a tourist or a student, you need to bring a letter of recommendation as follows:

A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as a Bangkok Bank staff, a respected customer of Bangkok Bank, a respected university teacher, a respected company director or senior executive, prepared as Bangkok Bank's letter of recommendation form, as well as the person's a certified true copy of identification document e.g. ID card or government official ID card; or

A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization; or

A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT

Click here to download a letter of recommendation form

Case is not closed as the below clearly indicates - Bangkok Bank has specific policy for such a case for tourist as outlined below.

SCB (Pattaya Beach Road Branch) opens accounts for foreigners with tourist visa when an existing SCB client "recommends" them. status april 2008.

This topic comes up so often. Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a pinned topic about successful bank account openings with date, branch, information required and length of time taken? It really is hit-and-miss as we all know so surely information like this would be really useful? Just a thought ...

MODERATORS.... I think the above is a good suggestion.... It would give people a place to recount their specific success/failures...without having to start a new topic/thread every time... Can we do a pinned topic?????

A few months ago a mate of mine opened an account with Kasikorn at Royal Garden Plaza in Pattaya with just a tourist visa, they only required a copy of his passport and an address, no proof of address was required.

I could not open accounts at TMB, SCB or BB without a Work Permit.

I think it depends on the bank branch as well as who takes care of you. A good friend of mine wanted an account with Siam Commercial. They refused to open an account for him. I went with him to immigration and explained to them that my friend needed a bank account because he was planning to retire here in Thailand. They filled out some form in Thai and told him to take it to the bank. We went back to the bank and he had an account and ATM card the same day.

MODERATORS.... I think the above is a good suggestion.... It would give people a place to recount their specific success/failures...without having to start a new topic/thread every time... Can we do a pinned topic?????

I agree - sonic really, really started to get p****d off with constantly discussing this issue, I have posted my own experiences more times than I care to recall. However a more neutral topic header would be preferable.

"How to go about opening a Thai Bank account"

"Tourist Visa/Student/Retiree/Area"

Before I received my work permit, none of the banks in the Esplanade on Ratchada would open an account for me, business or personal. They all said I needed my work permit. With my work permit in hand, no problem.

So for all of you without a work permit, scratch all the bank branches at Esplanade off your list.

They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account.

If this new policy from the Bank of Thailand is fact someone ought to tell them that before you can get a retirement visa you need 800k deposited in a Thai bank account for three months minimum.

Communication failure between right and left hand possibly?

You already have o/a visa so they will open you a bank account no problem the 800k only as to be in the account 3 months before extension.

The issue is not the visa but, as the OP title claims, you cannot open an account without a work permit (Wp).

But they will let you open an account with a retirement visa.

But to get a retirement visa you need 800k in a Thai bank account for a minimum of three months before applying for the extension.

But you can't open a bank account without a work permit (not allowed on retirement visa) or a retirement visa.

How can you eat your pudding if you won't eat your meat?

Reading the responses it appears that either:-

1. The OP has got his wired crossed.

2. The people in all the banks he visited suffered from a similtaneous collective brain power outage.

or,

3. The rules change from bank to bank, branch to branch, clerk to clerk, customer to customer and day to day.

I went back to England having not lived there for 14 years and can not open an account as I am not on the electrol role and do not have a permanent address.

So I think it is England who do not want my money. Not Thailand

I had same problem a few years back after a similar time in Thailand. You don't need to prove you are on the electoral role but just have a mailing address. I sent my old driving licence away for change of address to my mother's address (could use sister's or friend's). When I got it back went to bank with licence and passport - hey presto bank account. I now have four UK bank accounts plus one more in IOM (and one here in VN :o ), once you have a bank account it is easy to open more. Same same Thailand.

Now it appears a non-immi O visa is sufficient (no work permit), although some claim to have done it on a 30 day exemption stamp, that makes it a bit different but just as much a game of Russian roulette.

Oh well I'll give it a try next time I'm back as it is high time I started the retirement visa process even though I've no intention of retiring yet but it would be an assett to have a Thai bank account for the times I am there.

They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account.

If this new policy from the Bank of Thailand is fact someone ought to tell them that before you can get a retirement visa you need 800k deposited in a Thai bank account for three months minimum.

Communication failure between right and left hand possibly?

You already have o/a visa so they will open you a bank account no problem the 800k only as to be in the account 3 months before extension.

The issue is not the visa but, as the OP title claims, you cannot open an account without a work permit (Wp).

But they will let you open an account with a retirement visa.

But to get a retirement visa you need 800k in a Thai bank account for a minimum of three months before applying for the extension.

But you can't open a bank account without a work permit (not allowed on retirement visa) or a retirement visa.

How can you eat your pudding if you won't eat your meat?

Reading the responses it appears that either:-

1. The OP has got his wired crossed.

2. The people in all the banks he visited suffered from a similtaneous collective brain power outage.

or,

3. The rules change from bank to bank, branch to branch, clerk to clerk, customer to customer and day to day.

Yes you can open an account with just a Tourist Visa - step by step instructions for bangkok Bank - Bankok (Again!)

On my return trip to Bangkok I did finally manage to successfully open a Bangkok Bank passbook savings account on a tourist visa at Bangkok Bank's head office near Soi 3 Silom Road. As promised here are the steps necessary to do this. (Note I can save you some time if you are a British Passport holder).

You will need the following:

1) Time! - Assign two half days to the task.

2) Proof of address – I used my blue book and property (condominium) registration documents.

3) A letter from your embassy a.) Certifying your passport, b.)Provide proof of address in Thailand, and c.) no record to your detriment has been logged with the embassy. A link to an example of the letter for British passport holders provided by Bangkok Bank is here: (but none the less gives a general overview of what is required).

LINK to example letter is at end of post...

4) Money (or credit/debit card) to pay the fee for the required letter. This was 2,448 THB (per letter) at the British Embassy

For a British passport Holder:

Step 1 - Simply download the sample letter print it out and take it to the British Embassy (whose address is shown on the sample letter) along with the other documentation (take everything!). Here is a link for the opening times:

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1065714376732

Step 2 – Ask for the passport (and notarisation) section. You need to go up the stairs on the left just after the entrance door that you are shown to.

Step 3- Take a queuing ticket by pressing the top button – take your seat and wait to be called. This could be 1-2 hours.

Step 4 – Present the sample letter, documentation etc and explain what you need. You will be asked to return the next day to pick up the letter.

Step 5 – Return to the same department the next MORNING but this time press the second button on the queuing system as there is a dedicated pick up counter operating in the mornings only. This is a quicker process (if you get it right).

Process continued below….

Non British Passport holder

To get a sample letter from Bangkok Bank for your particular embassy, go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). Once you have your example letter you can go to your embassy. BTW It is very possible someone at Bangkok Bank may simply just offer a helping hand if you look unsure.

Generic steps at Bangkok Bank

1) Return/Go to Bangkok Bank head office fully armed with all documentation, 500 THB opening credit deposit and 600 THB for an international cash point card and separate debit card.

2) At Bangkok Bank's head office go through the revolving doors and walk straight ahead. You will come to a lectern in front of a dividing wall. To the left is a ticket queuing machine. Select the green savings button for opening a savings account with an English speaker. Proceed on and wait for your ticket to be called (note the screen is separate and to the right at the back of the room). After that just be polite and courteous and you will get a passbook cash and debit card BUT sadly no internet banking. This is pretty much the only account you can open on a tourist visa but it does help when it comes to paying local utility bills by direct debit.

NOTES:

I did ask Hemaraj a .SETI listed company to see if they could help. Much to their embarrassment they could not assist in making the process any simpler. They kindly provided a letter stating I was a good client and could the bank assist, but how much this helped I don't know.

YOU MUST have the letter from your embassy FULL STOP.

IRRITATINGLY Bangkok Bank will keep the original, a copy is not enough. I did not know this at the time but consider the embassy letter to be a useful document in its own right. Just a thought but it may be prudent to ask for several copies to be produced by your Embassy as this may save time in the future.

Sorry I can't help with other banks or other Bangkok Bank account branches.

PKRV.

This post has been edited by pkrv: Yesterday, 2008-06-11 11:04:57

Attached thumbnail(s) img-resized.png Reduced 92%post-16669-1213178145_thumb.png 1700 x 2338 (380.45K)//

Not wanting to beat a very tired horse here...but I opened my bank accounts in BKK with neither a work permit nor a retirement visa... Only a business visa...

The BKK Bank branch on Suk Road near 10 has a good reputation and worked for me. Never said a word about wanting/needing a work permit.

I also had success at the SCB Branch in Siam Square, and was advised by the SCB Call Centre to also, if necessary, try the SCB Branch at Siam Paragon, though I didn't need to take that extra step.

The SCB Call Centre advised me that under their policy, no work permit was needed, just a one-year visa. But when I got to the branch, the first thing they asked was for a work permit. After a fair amount of talking back and forth, showing them the BKK Bank account I'd already opened, and citing the advise from their own Call Centre, they went ahead and opened.

The above quoted comment is certainly apt. There may well be rules bank to bank and branch to branch. But at least in the past and up until recently, it's been abundantly clear that the implementation varies widely by location.

PS - Lopburi recently posted an except from the current BKK Bank web site that talked about various ways of qualifying through letters of recommendation (though I had to do NONE of that when I opened my account less than a year ago).

It seemed to me, the easiest among the bunch, was just getting a letter of referral from your home country bank and having that sent to BKK Bank.

Sorry...I should have clarified.... the letters of recommendation route at BKK Bank posted by Lopburi above pertained to students (those on education visas) and tourists (those on tourist visas, and perhaps visa exempt entries...)

I have no reason to think BKK Bank has changed the very easy route I went (just walk in the door with my passport) for people who have business visas..but not work permits...

I went to every bank yesterday not even in Bangkok I live in Samut Prakan. I tried Siam City Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai, Kaisikorn, Aduthaya (excuse spelling) every one of them said every bank in Thailand has recieced new legal policies from the Bank of Thailand (whoever they are) saying under NO circimstances can a foreigner open up any type of account with just passport. They did however say if you can show either a retirement visa or student documentation they will open a savings account. I'm 28 so the retirement option is a way off and no i'm not planning on going back to school. So for the average tourist or guy here for long term on another visa you CANNOT get a bank account anymore. I'm married to a Thai and it doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

I opened one at Siam Commercial Bank in the Carrefour on Srinakarin Rd (not far from Samut Prakan) with a Thai driving license less than a month ago

Keep trying. These policies are so subjective. Every branch can say something different.

But remember you're unlikely to receive interest.

Not true I get interest on all my Thai accounts

Keep trying. These policies are so subjective. Every branch can say something different.

But remember you're unlikely to receive interest.

Not true I get interest on all my Thai accounts

How do you get interest? I can't check my own Bangkok Bank savings account until I get back (no internet access for ferangs - I hope it is OK I can't monitor it), but have heard (and I stress heard) that I won't.

Do you have residency or something?

I just checked my BKK Bank savings account, and find I am getting no interest...but don't keep money there...anyway..

However, regarding the comment above about Internet banking with them, when I opened the account, I did ask for and receive Internet banking access, so I can log-on from anywhere....

The one thing you need to have with them to activate Internet banking is a working Thai mobile number, because that's where they send a code that is part of the activation process.... If you're physically outside Thailand and cannot receive SMS on your Thai mobile, then you wouldn't be able to complete the process.

However, that's a different thing, than farangs not being able to have Internet banking with BKK Bank... They most certainly can. And again, in my case, it was a savings account opened only with a business visa and no other documentation required.

I just checked my BKK Bank savings account, and find I am getting no interest...but don't keep money there...anyway..

However, regarding the comment above about Internet banking with them, when I opened the account, I did ask for and receive Internet banking access, so I can log-on from anywhere....

The one thing you need to have with them to activate Internet banking is a working Thai mobile number, because that's where they send a code that is part of the activation process.... If you're physically outside Thailand and cannot receive SMS on your Thai mobile, then you wouldn't be able to complete the process.

However, that's a different thing, than farangs not being able to have Internet banking with BKK Bank... They most certainly can. And again, in my case, it was a savings account opened only with a business visa and no other documentation required.

Thank you - very interesing indeed I am learning - I am over in six weeks and will need to pay my bills by direct debit. Mobile phone v.s. what I will try to do, standing order (or commitment) to a Thai electrity bill? It is an interesting one. IMO Internet Banking CANNOT be used send funds off shore it is used to monitor your account only!

Thank you - very interesing indeed I am learning - I am over in six weeks and will need to pay my bills by direct debit. Mobile phone v.s. what I will try to do, standing order (or commitment) to a Thai electrity bill? It is an interesting one. IMO Internet Banking CANNOT be used send funds off shore it is used to monitor your account only!

It's been interesting...and a learning experience for me also.... Unlike in the U.S., the Thai banks here (at least SCB and BKKB that I deal with) are pretty limited in just who you can have for online bill payments. You can't just add anyone...but instead, only those on their fairly limited payee lists.....

So, with SCB, I can pay all my True bills online -- True Move for mobile phone, True Digital Entertainment for DSL and True Visions for cable TV. But for my home phone thru TOT, I have to pay thru BKKB (not SCB).... Of course, I believe you can pay all of those just by going to 7/11, for a small fee for each payment.

And, about Internet banking thru Thai banks, yes, it's basically to monitor your Thai account. Though lately, the Thai banks have begun offering online resource to move/transfer money to other Thai bank accounts that you also may have, such as between your BKKB and SCB accounts, again, usually for a small fee.

But moving money outside Thailand from your Thai bank account online is something that I don't believe is available...just as it's pretty difficult trying to go the other direction from another country to Thailand strictly online.

HSBC Premier accounts are an exception to that, if you want to tie up a minimum $100,000 balance with them. In that case, I believe you can go online to move money between your non-Thai HSBC account and your Thailand-based HSBC account. But, because of Thai banking restrictions, HSBC as a non-Thai bank can only have one branch (and ATM location here), that being near Silom Road/Saladaeng BTS in Bangkok.

BKKB, on the other hand, has its New York branch with its own ABA number, which means you can move money online, with some limits, from U.S. bank accounts to the BKKB New York branch using their ABA routing number, and then have it credited onward to your local Thai BKKB branch account.

I can move money from my SCB account to an overseas account online but there's a catch. It has to be for either "family support" or "education". And you have to fill out a paper form and get it approved in Bangkok in order to add an account. Then you can add it to your online account and away you go. I don't know yet if they would count "family support" as supporting yourself meaning you can transfer money from your Thai account to an overseas account in your name as well. Anyway, once approved you can do it online.

BKKB, on the other hand, has its New York branch with its own ABA number, which means you can move money online, with some limits, from U.S. bank accounts to the BKKB New York branch using their ABA routing number, and then have it credited onward to your local Thai BKKB branch account.

Would you...(or anyone ) know if you can open a BKK bank New York branch account while in the USA?

Would you...(or anyone ) know if you can open a BKK bank New York branch account while in the USA?

The BKK Bank office in New York is not a consumer branch, so they don't "open" consumer accounts there regardless of your location. But once you have opened a BKK Bank account somewhere in Thailand, you can use the BKKB New York office and their ABA # as a connection point between U.S. accounts and your Thai BKK Bank account.

That capacity is not unlimited, and not always easy to set up online. But there has been a lot of discussion and experience with that shared in other threads here on TV... And I myself have used it/done it in that way. You are linking your U.S. bank account to the BKK Bank ABA #, and your Thai BKK Bank account number. The New York branch charges a small handling fee and then forwards the funds onto your BKK Bank account here.

Because of U.S. banking (money laundering) restrictions, though, if I recall correctly, the general expat advice seems to be to make sure any single transaction of that sort stays under $10,000 (including any bank fees involved). When people have tried larger amounts than that, their U.S. banks seems to balk and sometimes freeze/disconnect the linked accounts.

And, don't try asking your U.S. bank about this approach. Because, based on people's experience, they won't know about it, and/or will tell you it cannot be done.

I can move money from my SCB account to an overseas account online but there's a catch. It has to be for either "family support" or "education". And you have to fill out a paper form and get it approved in Bangkok in order to add an account. Then you can add it to your online account and away you go. I don't know yet if they would count "family support" as supporting yourself meaning you can transfer money from your Thai account to an overseas account in your name as well. Anyway, once approved you can do it online.

Jimjim, I have an SCB account and have seen their information on that approach, but have never pursued it or gotten into the details of it.....

1. Have you actually used it, and if so, for what purpose?

2. If so, what kind of documentation, if any, did they require?

3. The approval process you mentioned, is that a one-time set-up thing, or a every transaction type thing?

4. What are the fees/percentages involved from SCB?

Thanks much...

The BKK Bank office in New York is not a consumer branch, so they don't "open" consumer accounts there regardless of your location. But once you have opened a BKK Bank account somewhere in Thailand, you can use the BKKB New York office and their ABA # as a connection point between U.S. accounts and your Thai BKK Bank account.

That capacity is not unlimited, and not always easy to set up online. But there has been a lot of discussion and experience with that shared in other threads here on TV... And I myself have used it/done it in that way. You are linking your U.S. bank account to the BKK Bank ABA #, and your Thai BKK Bank account number. The New York branch charges a small handling fee and then forwards the funds onto your BKK Bank account here.

Because of U.S. banking (money laundering) restrictions, though, if I recall correctly, the general expat advice seems to be to make sure any single transaction of that sort stays under $10,000 (including any bank fees involved). When people have tried larger amounts than that, their U.S. banks seems to balk and sometimes freeze/disconnect the linked accounts.

And, don't try asking your U.S. bank about this approach. Because, based on people's experience, they won't know about it, and/or will tell you it cannot be done.

Again thanks for the advice - You also cannot open an account at Bangkok Bank London (I tried). I will try again to set up internet banking (on my passbook savings account) at the Bangkok Bank's head office when I am over next. Armed with the concept of a mobile phone number is needed I will see if setting up a standing order can also be used to achieve the same result and will report back to this thread. I did note that someone once posted saying something along the lines of it hadn't been possible because they needed a Thai passport or id number. It is all a bit confusing.

If I can achieve this I will move on to your suggestions on connecting accounts at the London end.