Monsoon

raybona

Hi there,

I wonder, Monsoon in Goa, and the one you have in CM, big difference?

In Goa it goes like this: Pre-monsoon starts in may, with temperatures rising up to 38, and humidity 85%. June 4-7 the rains are comming with a vengeance, not very long though. during 3 months of monsoon we have 2 times non-stop rains for 4-5 days, the rest is sporadic, sun, rain and wind, but when it rains, it rains!

August it starts slowing down, and september only the occasional shower, but humidity stays til oktober up to 98%!

Now nature is something we cannot change, but how abouth the houses?

Here, a house is leaking like a sift, new are old does'nt matter, so the last 1,5 year we live in an appartment and even here water is comming trough the wall?

Also posting a few pictures from monsoon here, one is "Here it comes", the other is "10 minutes later"

(that is if i can put them in this post)

Hope to see y'all soon,

Ray & Jane

post-62382-1213157563_thumb.jpg

post-62382-1213157609_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

I wonder, Monsoon in Goa, and the one you have in CM, big difference?

Quite a large difference. The main reason is that Chiangmai does not have a monsoon season, but a rainy season. Early to late May sees the onset of the rains, and they last throught till around mid September. July and August normally produce the heaviest rainfall, but floods have been known in September as well.

See HERE for shots of the 2005 floods.

I'ved lived in bangalore India for 18 1/2 years till I moved here in Dec 2007.....Leaking houses are a trait of India I guess as they ALL LEAK...New or Old ...never lived in one that didn't :D ....And then the mold and the paint peeling off.....repairs every year and no matter how many times or what you do to the roof ...They still leak....

Not so in Chiang Mai....Had an a small studio at Viangbua for 2 years and the only leak there was from the toilet upstairs...never from the rain.....in the house I live now which is completely new .....nope , not yet .... :o ...... even with the very heavy rains....

The main reason is that Chiangmai does not have a monsoon season, but a rainy season.

There is some confusion about the definition of monsoon. It means any place that has a seasonal change of the predominant wind patterns accompanied by rain. For Asia that shift is from primary winds coming from the east to coming from the west. In Thailand it is referred to as the southwest monsoons, switching from the other seasons northeast pattern.

Anyway, the monsoons in south Asia are some of the wettest/strongest in the world and Chiangmai doesn't experience the same severity.

The main reason is that Chiangmai does not have a monsoon season, but a rainy season.

There is some confusion about the definition of monsoon.

Anyway, the monsoons in south Asia are some of the wettest/strongest in the world and Chiangmai doesn't experience the same severity.

There definitely is, and all that I have read has never classed Thailand as "monsoonal"

India and Bangladesh certainly have their fair share, and in Vietnam it seemed to pelt down for weeks on end.

There definitely is, and all that I have read has never classed Thailand as "monsoonal"

Google. You'll find many hits referring to Thailand's monsoon season. I've heard references to Thailand's monsoon season regularly since 1968 when I was in the military here. Guess we don't read the same things because I have seen the term used from fictional to nonfictional books/articles including academic publications.

There is some confusion about the definition of monsoon.

India and Bangladesh certainly have their fair share, and in Vietnam it seemed to pelt down for weeks on end.

Southern Thailand is certainly monsoonal. Pee'd down for 8 weeks non-stop in Songkhla 7 or 8 years ago and the sea goes all to sh1t :o