Where To Stay, To Drink.

G54

I looked at the pinned topics but need help.

Looks as if Chiang Mai is big. Not knowing the place at all I want to visit for a couple of days or so to look around with a view of moving there to live for some time.

For my initial visit

I want a place to stay that is cheap but clean and central with aircon. [ central being near pubs and clubs and other nightlife or within easy reach of where people understand English ]

Any good pubs or clubs with live farang music for a person my age. [ I am in my early 50's but young at heart.]

Do you pay corkage in Chiang Mai

For getting around and about in Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas am I better off bringing the car or leaving it at home?

Would a couple of days be long enough to look around or would a week be better? [ not really knowing the size of Chiang Mai ]

Hope someone can help with this. :o

I looked at the pinned topics but need help.

Looks as if Chiang Mai is big. Not knowing the place at all I want to visit for a couple of days or so to look around with a view of moving there to live for some time.

For my initial visit

I want a place to stay that is cheap but clean and central with aircon. [ central being near pubs and clubs and other nightlife or within easy reach of where people understand English ]

Any good pubs or clubs with live farang music for a person my age. [ I am in my early 50's but young at heart.]

Do you pay corkage in Chiang Mai

For getting around and about in Chiang Mai and the surrounding areas am I better off bringing the car or leaving it at home?

Would a couple of days be long enough to look around or would a week be better? [ not really knowing the size of Chiang Mai ]

Hope someone can help with this. :D

Yes you do pay corkage at many establishments (and not at others) and no, I'm not gonna try and list either or.

If you bring the car and don't know where you are (or where you want to go) might be a bit of a waste of time :o

If you're thinking of moving to Chiangmai and this trip is a bit of a rece two days would be a waste of time. You need a minimum of a week and likely more (unless you're gonna visit for another rece)

There are any number of such places. The city area is not so very large. Just pick one place to book into (those advertising "near Night Market" should do) for the first few days, then move when you've got your bearings a little.

Where are you coming from ?

A few days might be enough to see if you like the general feel of Chiang Mai. It wouldn't seem enough to evaluate any specific difficulties you might need to take into account, or to choose which part of CM to live in.

Keep asking ...

You didn't say or we have no inclination where you would be driving FROM??? Bkk, Pattaya, HuaHin???

You maybe can rent a motorbike or even a bicycle to scout around town. If you want to go to the outlying areas and maybe check on homesites, you can always rent a red (baht) bus for a few hundred baht.

In town you won't need a vehicle of your own. It's difficult to find parking in most areas of activity.

Have a great trip.