Laptop Screen As Monitor

raro

my laptop died - the mainboard is fried.

survivors are:

a HDD - will serve as USB drive

a DVD drive...you never know when you may need it

2 x 250 KB DDR 1 RAM - who ever needs some, pick it up at raro's if you need some

a perfectly working LCD screen that I'd like to convert into an external monitor. Now the question:

Does anybody out there has an idea how all those colourfull cables have to be connected to a standard VGA plug? Even better: Does anybody out there has SOLDERING skills to make solid soldering on those tiny little pins? Or are there any adapters available? I was smart enough (doesn't happen that often...) NOT to rip the cables out of the connector...

Thanks for advise!

raro

Interesting project... I too use all my spare parts .... though I think you will have a problem with the lcd as a standard vga monitor... it has a special video card ... well not a card in a lap top more like a chip or sometimes its embedded in a thick group of cables at the base of the monitor... but either way... you will have power issues as well as video card issues... it should be an interesting project if you have lots of time to burn but it can be done.

You can't connect a bare LCD straight to a VGA plug. You need all the driver & voltage generation circuitry that's on your blown-up motherboard to drive it.

maybe we have a chance here...the part that went on the motherboard is the HDD controller. The only possible problem is the rather brute force I used to take the sucker apart...some of those screws are too well hidden... :o

Guest Reimar

May final it's not much more expensive to buy an new LCD Monitor and you can sell the Laptop Screen at Tukcom to the repair shops?! I would check that to first!

Cheers.