With Gas Prices Rising, Why Not...

mr_hippo

think about changing your horsepower for pedal power occasionally?

Do you need your car to go to the local 7-11? Do you need the stress of the traffic jam? I am not suggesting that we should sell the car - it is useful at times. There are plenty of myths about cycling in Bangkok and other large cities, let's try to dispel them now.

1) Bangkok roads are too dangerous - name me one capital city where the roads are safe? A lot of expats either have a car or a motorcycle and have adapted their driving style to fit in with Bangkok traffic. Use those same skills when you are on a bicycle.

2) "I'll get hot and sweaty". Even walking in Bangkok will get you 'hot & sweaty'! How fast do you want to ride on a bike? Yes, you will get hot and sweaty if you try to emulate Lance Armstrong but a gentle ride of 10-12 kph will not. At that speed, you will generate a gentle breeze on you which will cool you down, you will find that you would sweat more if you walked one kilometre than cycled it.

3) "I need a shower and a wardrobe in work." - No, you don't! When I used to commute - distances between 14 and 20 kms, I used to leave a pair of shoes in work and get a cab once a week when I would take in a pair of trousers, five shirts, a towel, underwear and socks in a suit bag. A quick strip wash and I was good to go.

If you live within 6 kms of work or one of the 'Park & Ride' facilities, you won't even need to take a change of clothing. You will arrive quicker and feel refreshed. Yes, we know that you drive a Toyota Fortuner or a Honda Civic but when you are stuck in traffic, I have already passed you and I'm on my merry way! If you and I were to start off at the junction of Suan Siam Road and Ram Intra at rush hour and go to Laksi Monument (about 13kms), I'll wait for you at Laksi, I'll be the one with the ice-cold Pepsi in my hand and a smile on my face!

If you live within 6 kms of work or one of the 'Park & Ride' facilities, you won't even need to take a change of clothing.

work? what work? :o

The curse of the drinking classes.

Mr H. I agree with many of your points, I used to cycle for exercise not to work as that was 25 km - okay in the morning but evenings no way especially along the Sukhumvit. The lap round Mabprachan reservoir used to give me a bit of a workout that was all topped off with a shower in the Butterfly Bar :D .

But I lived in soi Khaw Noi on the dark side and often used to cycle into town mainly to get the truck I'd left there previous night having consumed too much. The traffic around the country lanes east of Sukhumvit was no hassle at all but in downtown Pattaya was a nightmare. As you say you can vary your riding style to suit the conditions but I never felt entirely comfortable. Can't comment regarding cycling in Bangkok except to agree that it is probably no more dangerous than other cities which doesn't necessarily make it safe.

Another problem you may encounter is where to leave the bike whilst at work? Okay if your company has a secure parking area or will tolerate bicycles in the building but if not you need to find a safe haven.

I put people who ride a bicycle in Bangkok in the same class as those who ride motorcycles. The have a death wish, OR, they are still young and consider themselves bulletproof.

PhilHarries

Generals have to pick their battles to win the war, I tend to pick routes where there is less traffic. Another problem that people have is that they hug the gutter making them difficlt to see. As with any city, you have to ride with confidence.

As for secure parking, I have been fortunate in that respect - everywhere that I have worked I have either had secure parking or have been able to park inside.

I put people who ride a bicycle in Bangkok in the same class as those who ride motorcycles. The have a death wish, OR, they are still young and consider themselves bulletproof.

I am neither young nor do I consider myself bullet proof and my name is not Charles Bronson! Why do you think that way?

think about changing your horsepower for pedal power occasionally?

Do you need your car to go to the local 7-11? Do you need the stress of the traffic jam? I am not suggesting that we should sell the car - it is useful at times. There are plenty of myths about cycling in Bangkok and other large cities, let's try to dispel them now.

1) Bangkok roads are too dangerous - name me one capital city where the roads are safe? A lot of expats either have a car or a motorcycle and have adapted their driving style to fit in with Bangkok traffic. Use those same skills when you are on a bicycle.

2) "I'll get hot and sweaty". Even walking in Bangkok will get you 'hot & sweaty'! How fast do you want to ride on a bike? Yes, you will get hot and sweaty if you try to emulate Lance Armstrong but a gentle ride of 10-12 kph will not. At that speed, you will generate a gentle breeze on you which will cool you down, you will find that you would sweat more if you walked one kilometre than cycled it.

3) "I need a shower and a wardrobe in work." - No, you don't! When I used to commute - distances between 14 and 20 kms, I used to leave a pair of shoes in work and get a cab once a week when I would take in a pair of trousers, five shirts, a towel, underwear and socks in a suit bag. A quick strip wash and I was good to go.

If you live within 6 kms of work or one of the 'Park & Ride' facilities, you won't even need to take a change of clothing. You will arrive quicker and feel refreshed. Yes, we know that you drive a Toyota Fortuner or a Honda Civic but when you are stuck in traffic, I have already passed you and I'm on my merry way! If you and I were to start off at the junction of Suan Siam Road and Ram Intra at rush hour and go to Laksi Monument (about 13kms), I'll wait for you at Laksi, I'll be the one with the ice-cold Pepsi in my hand and a smile on my face!

I miss biking, but there is just no way I would cycle in BKK. id rather stick to my aircon Honda Civic with my music. anyway, im lucky as I dont start work until later and I come home later still which means I very rarly see a traffic jam. :o

I see the occasional farang on a bike. Look ridiculous in Bangkok traffic, but what the heck they probably look just as silly walking (these guys are not fashion conscious).

Good luck to them I say, why care what people think about you or how strange you appear.

Are you sure that my clients/other workmates will think I am good to go?

The OP can't be serious :o

And why not?

Have you never heard of the BTS or motorcyle taxis?

Do you have a death wish?

Do I have a death wish? No, do you?

Have I heard of BTS or motor cycle taxis? Did you read my post? I mentioned 'Park and Ride' facilities, now where do you think they are? If people parked their cars at them to go down to Silom/Sukhumvit, how much time would they gain? As for the motorcycle taxis, some people don't use them for a variety of reasons; I would not because I am not comfortable riding pillion with anyone. Motorcycles use petrol as well. Those motorcycles that you see with gas cylinders on the back are delivering them to businesses and not powered by them!

...no way I would cycle in BKK. id rather stick to my...Honda Civic with my music....

You don't have to lose your music! Ever heard of MP3 players with earphones? It blocks out the sound of screeching tires and commuter-racers all around you....bliss... :o

insane! in the country, riding a bicycle has its advantages but, dear god, in bkk? cant name a solitary real advantage. all the ones the OP lists are either poorly reasoned or not really advantages. using public trans is the environmental friendly solution in bkk, not riding a bike lol

...no way I would cycle in BKK. id rather stick to my...Honda Civic with my music....

You don't have to lose your music! Ever heard of MP3 players with earphones? It blocks out the sound of screeching tires and commuter-racers all around you....bliss... :o

and a great way to die!!! lol ride a bike in bkk deaf!!! would make a catchy billboard for la bikes...

insane! in the country, riding a bicycle has its advantages but, dear god, in bkk? cant name a solitary real advantage. all the ones the OP lists are either poorly reasoned or not really advantages. using public trans is the environmental friendly solution in bkk, not riding a bike lol

I agree; saving time, money and stress are not advantages, are they? Sitting in a traffic jam, burning fuel and adding to pollution, now they are the real advantages aren't they?

I agree; saving time, money and stress are not advantages, are they? Sitting in a traffic jam, burning fuel and adding to pollution, now they are the real advantages aren't they?

would you REALLY save:

time? maybe, but it depends. ill give it to you, though. you can save time.

money? obviously, yes, but not much.

stress? you gotta be joking! if there were places to ride, perhaps, but bkk doesnt have them. one false move and youve got broken legs/arms and so much for that saved time/money lol

take the bts, a taxi (gonna be on the road anyway), or a bus. hel_l, ride a motorcycle (almost as dangerous as a bike). but dont ride a bicycle in the heart of bkk if you care about your health. if you do, dont wear white shirts cause theyll be brown by the time you reach your destination. as will your lungs!

Edited by samsara

Great advice! *rolls eyes* are you serious!

Any advice on how I can watch a movie when riding a bike? :D

come on, wasn't you taught when you was a kid not to listen to music on headphones when riding a bike?

I for one have been using my bicycle more. Fortunately I live in a place were I can. If I lived in Bangkok, I don't think I would. Now, If only I could get the Soi Dogs to stop chasing me. I think they just want my cold beer for the 7-11 run. :o

would you REALLY save:

time? maybe, but it depends. ill give it to you, though. you can save time.

money? obviously, yes, but not much.

stress? you gotta be joking! if there were places to ride, perhaps, but bkk doesnt have them. one false move and youve got broken legs/arms and so much for that saved time/money lol

take the bts, a taxi (gonna be on the road anyway), or a bus. hel_l, ride a motorcycle (almost as dangerous as a bike). but dont ride a bicycle in the heart of bkk if you care about your health. if you do, dont wear white shirts cause theyll be brown by the time you reach your destination. as will your lungs!

How much is the cheapest new car? About 600,000 Baht. A decent hardtail or hybrid - about 8,000 to 20,000 then add on a few thousand for lights, spare tubes, tyre levers, pump. gloves and helmet so we are talking of a max of 25,000. Annual running cost for a bicycle - possibly less than 2,000. What's the annual running cost for a car or motorbike, including fuel?

You mention BTS and MRT but what if you don't live or work near them? I live in Lat Phrao and used to work in Lam Lukka - how would you suggest that I get there? No BTS or MRT, taxi - about 250Baht each way, bus - how many and how long would it take?

You say "Don't ride a bicycle in the heart of Bangkok if you care about your health. if you do, don't wear white shirts cause they'll be brown by the time you reach your destination. as will your lungs!" At the speed that I have suggested, you are not breathing deeply enough for it to affect your lungs. White shirts turning brown? One of my cycling jerseys is white and has not turned brown yet!

There are no places to ride in Bangkok? Yes, there are and they are called roads! You say that you ride a motorbike, I'll take it that you ride faster than I cycle (at times!), you have more chance of serious injury than I do.

I think you are more likely to get killed on a bicycle, it would be very easy to get clipped by one of the dozens of vehicles that will have to overtake you. At least on a motorbike you can ride at the same speed as the traffic around you. When I am in the car, bicycles always present a challenge to safely overtake, motorbikes on the other hand don't cause many problems unless they are riding at bicycle speeds.

Edited by madjbs

Great advice! *rolls eyes* are you serious!

Any advice on how I can watch a movie when riding a bike? :D

Yeah, dentists in the USA now use "movie visors" to show you a soothing video while they extract all your teeth. Wear 'em like sunglasses. GREAT IDEA! Commuting by bicycle just doubled its pleasurable qualities. :D

I think you are more likely to get killed on a bicycle, it would be very easy to get clipped by one of the dozens of vehicles that will have to overtake you. At least on a motorbike you can ride at the same speed as the traffic around you. When I am in the car, bicycles always present a challenge to safely overtake, motorbikes on the other hand don't cause many problems unless they are riding at bicycle speeds.

Weren't you ever taught how to overtake when you had driving lessons? Don't motorbikes or others cars ever get 'clipped'? Why do 'bicycles always present a challenge to safely overtake'? Give the cyclist more room when overtaking. When I go out, I am often faster on average than the motorist

No never had driving lessons, and neither did 99% of of other drivers in Thailand. Often there is very little room to overtake as many roads in BKK are restricted to one lane going in a certain direction. Motorbikes can travel at the same speed as a car whereas you have to overtake cyclists as soon as you start moving. More cars overtaking means more chance of being squashed. Have you ever driven a car in BKK?

^ Yes, I have driven cars and motorbikes in Bangkok. Have you ever cycled in a large city?

"... whereas you have to overtake cyclists as soon as you start moving." Who says that you have to? You are not compelled to, are you? I admit that certain roads in Bangkok are restricted at times but how fast is the traffic going? If there is very little room to overtake then don't!

I don't overtake until it is safe as I know what it is like to cycle around, but my point is that the majority of drivers WILL just overtake even if it leaves inches to spare. Unfortunately this happened to a motorcycle that was driving slowly up the side of the road near my apartment, a bus overtook but swerved to avoid another car and killed the woman on the motorbike. A bicycle has to ride like that all the time unless the traffic is really bad, on a motorbike at least you have the choice of driving in a safer manner (even if most don't).

Don't get me wrong though, motorcycles are still incredibly dangerous and defiantly more dangerous than a bicycle if you don't try and ride safely. Personally I try to use both as little as possible and get my exercise on the trail or with some other outdoor sports.