Bbq Party Friendship Beach, Phuket, 12 July 2008

george

That's too bad that you drove all that way, made quite an effort to find the place, but then sat by yourself.

Luckily, i know where Freindship beach is and how to get in there. There were about 5 signs saying Thai Visa party but yes, they were not until you got in the place.

I too thought that it would be nice if people mingled a little more and i could meet and talk to some posters who i've read about and answered online.

So, i got up and walked around a few times and met some interesting people. I met ThaiGerd who was very interesting. I finally got to put a face to Huggy Bear who i knew would be someone i had met before. Same with Steel Pulse. From their comments on line, i knew they'd be interesting people and they were.

I got to meet George who was very kind and perhaps paid for it all, i don't know???

Same with Buckwheat who acted as MC and did a fine job.

Saw the Channel 11 guy there too although i never did get to say hi to him. Was too busy meeting others i guess. Also, i saw and spent quality time with my old friends Chantal and Kevin who are always interesting.

I will agree that some kind of introductions would've been nice but perhaps the problem is that people are shy and steer away from things like that. (Huggy even tried but most couldn't hear him)

It takes all kinds of people to have a forum and I would've been glad to make your acquaintance too if only I had known you were there as a Thai Visa Member.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We broadcast most of interview with Buckwheat & Adam this morning and online now as below:

Many thanks for their comments and the invite to meet some of the members; sorry we couldn't stay longer...

NBT TV Phuket

on http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...php?news_id=407

or

MiniVDO: Interview - Buckwheat, Super Moderator, ThaiVisa.com forums & Adam Stanborough, advanced Phuket forum member

Our interview is with ‘Buckwheat’, a Super Moderator of ThaiVisa.com popular public forums and Adam Stanborough, an advanced Phuket forum member & Regional Director, Thailand Estates Corporation sponsor of the forum’s BBQ get-together at Friendship Beach Resort, Rawai, last Saturday 12 July. Thaivisa.com has over 60,000 members so far, with over 2 million posts on 70 sub-forums, including Phuket and Krabi forums: We asked Buckwheat first how Thaivisa.com started and grew so huge: ……. thaivisa.com/forum/Phuket-Forum-f31.html thaivisa.com/forum/Krabi-Forum-f33.html

Interview for Andaman News NBT (VHF dial) + maybe FM90.5 Radio Thailand at 8.30am & perhaps relays/repeats on local Cable TV channel 1, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket provinces, & possibly FM108 Mazz Radio 7.30pm in Phuket, Monday 14 July 2008 & http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/ Contact [email protected]

Interesting to read the above reports - maybe I went to a different party?

I have only been in Phuket a short time and don't know many people, so thought I would go to the TV party and see some of the people I read about regularly on the forum.

but as the invite was an open invite to everyone then surely when someone 'new' comes along - then at least somebody might say 'hello'. All I saw was individual groups chatting between themselves and some subdued music in the background. In all honesty if I hadn't seen the banner advertising 'Thai Visa Party' - I would really have thought I was in the wrong place.

Hopefully my comments are viewed as constructive rather than criticising and will help to improve things next time.

Sorry to hear that Udox, as a fairly out going person had I noticed I would come up and invited you to sit with us. I also agree that it is a little awkward(presumptious) to walk up to a table of people (strangers) who are eating and talking and interrupt, ("hi, I'm ScurvyDog"....). I too am fairly new to the TV group but know a few personally, outside of the Forum.

So yes, for the next one, I think we keep the venue, but the first 45 minutes should be in the bar area where everyone can meet. Or, we start it a little earlier while it's light and do it around the pool.

But overall, it was nice and again many thanks to the people that made the effort to put that on. Your energies were much appreciated.

Well it was not the same as being there, but reading the posts and seeing the youtube interview helped a little.

Sorry to have missed one and thanks to Buckwheat, George, Baz, and everyone else for all the ones we have been to and for this party

we could only read about.

Ribs, ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs,ribs.

kdf + she who runs with scissors

Udox, I was a first time attendee who also came on his own and I personally was certainly made to feel very welcome.

I arrived a little late too and it's true that because the party was on the other side of the pool by the seafront, it was not immediatedly obvious where to go. However, I asked the thai staff at the resort and they pointed me to where the event was. I stood at the event entry area 'looking a little lost' and was soon personally welcomed by Buckwheat, who checked me in, showed me the food (including the absolutely delicious ribs) and most importantly I was also shown exactly where to get a free beer. I managed to find a spare seat at a table and sat next to Buckwheat, Leung Ken and their friends. It was a very agreeable experience for me.

Sure the reception point could have been better delineated, but otherwise the event was faultless and I will certain make the effort to come the next time Thai Visa are in Phuket.

Maybe more opportunity to circulate would have been good, as I would also have enjoyed meeting more of the 'faces behind the avatars' But the event was very popular and most were already seated by the time I arrived. Unfortunately I had to get off to pick up my wife and child at 10:30 and didn't have time for anything like complete circulation.

Thanks to all the organisers, it's much appreciated ......

Interesting to read the above reports - maybe I went to a different party?

I have only been in Phuket a short time and don't know many people, so thought I would go to the TV party and see some of the people I read about regularly on the forum.

After driving around for an hour and a half I finally spotted the Freindship Resort as I drove past it - so did a u-turn and entered the small soi. I saw some lights wrapped around the trees but wasn't sure if that was the hotel in question or not so drove on - looking for a sign for the Friendship resort or even 'ThaiVisa Party- This way>>'

I eneded up at a dead end so had to reverse my car half a kilo back up the narrow soi.

I drove into the entrance with the tree lights and parked my car. I wandered around the car park looking for where the party was, but couldn't see/hear anything, until someone shone a torch and said "party" - so I went in that direction.

As per the invite scribblings - I looked for the notebook computers to 'log in' and gain entry as I knew that 'entrance was 'strictly limited'. I walked around the whole area but saw nothing - apart from a few spaced out tables with people sat in small seperate groups.

Nobody asked who I was or why am I here or even 'hello' and I didn't know where to sign in, where to get a name badge or where to even get a beer.

I made it to the bar and ordered a beer whilst I sat and watched to maybe get an idea of who the host was or what I was supposed to do to sign in or get a name badge.

There didn't seem to be any form of agenda or greeting area - although I did see an area where food was available - but without a name badge, though I had better not go helping myself as I didn't feel comfortable doing so.

After drinking my beer - I decided that I obviously didn't fit in to any of the small groups which were apparent and as I couldn't find any reception desk or log-in point or even anyone who seemed to be in charge - picked up my bar bill and left.

I drove an hour and a half from the North of the Island to make the effort to attend - and succeded in having one (paid for) beer and a seat by the bar alone for 20 minutes.

Before everyone starts saying - why didn't you go and talk to some of the groups to find out the score?

Well if I was sitting having a drink with my friends and a stranger started interupting the conversation - I wouldn't be too impressed.

Some people are quiet and reserved - hence the reason I ordered a quiet beer and sat trying to work out what the format was.

Why was there not a clear defined area for arrivees or someone to say hello to people who walked into the area and ask them to log in or even ask who they are and if not a Thai Visa member then why are they walking around the hotel anyway ??

Maybe next year some consideration can be made to the above points? Its all too easy when everyone knows everyone else - but as the invite was an open invite to everyone then surely when someone 'new' comes along - then at least somebody might say 'hello'. All I saw was individual groups chatting between themselves and some subdued music in the background. In all honesty if I hadn't seen the banner advertising 'Thai Visa Party' - I would really have thought I was in the wrong place.

Hopefully my comments are viewed as constructive rather than criticising and will help to improve things next time.