Applying For A Mortgage In Bkk

Hi my name is Karl and i live in sunny Southampton (UK), thought i should give a small introduction as this is my first post here.

I have a small dilema and need a little help with it please. I will be moving to BKK May 2009 with the intentions to teach english to youngsters for MANY years then moving back into retail management!

I'll be moving there with my girlfriend, who is currently studying in the UK.

I understand that regardless of the country of application one has to be working for a certain period of time before applying for a mortgage, my girlfriend has been out of BKK for 3 years now and therefore has had no employment in bkk for that period of time, potentially meaning that she would have to return to BKK alone to work for 6 months, thus allowing her to apply for a mortgage.

I on the other hand would have more than 1,000,000 baht to put forward as a deposit on a semi-decent 1 bedroom condo and was wondering if any one has any advice for me, as i wish to move in to my own accommodation within weeks of myself moving out there?..... Do you think i could arrange something with the banks out there so i don't have to part from my girlfriend for 6 months while i locate a job????

Sorry if this topic comes across as a bit of a mis-mash, currently have 3 minutes until i have to return back to my work :D lol

Thanks in advance for any help you guys and gals can offer me.

karlos :o

Your chances of you arranging something with a Thai bank in terms of a property purchase are slim. Your chances of doing so while outside Thailand are even slimmer.

Your GF has better chances of arranging something, but again will need to be in Thailand to do so. If she wants a mortgage, banks usually want to see 6 months bank statements and some form of income. Neither of you seem to have current credit history in Thailand.

Not sure what the rush is to buy. Come out together, and rent for a while together. Settle in, find your way around in your relationship here, as well as life generally here, plus where you want to live etc. Probably wiser to spend that 6 months renting anyway, than jump into a purchase you know little about... :o

Good luck.. :D

Edited by AFKAFSinLOS