Noodle Soup For Three Baht In Chiang Mai

george

Noodle soup for Three baht in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- With the global rising food price crisis, many restaurants around Thailand have decided to raise their menu prices. But a noodle shop in the northern province of Chiang Mai insists on selling noodles at the same price of 20 years ago…at only three baht! Let’s find out more in this report from Thai News Agency.

"Kuaytiow Saam Baht" or the ‘Three Baht Noodle’ shop in Chiang Mai does exactly what the name suggests: sells noodle soup at three baht.

Although the bowl of noodle soup consists of a pinch of noodles and 3-4 pieces of meat, some customers say it best suits the current economic situation. Others claim the portion is fit for dieters.

“It tastes good. The fresh vegetables are also available free of charge. I pay just 18 baht, Now I’m so full,” a customer said.

“The price is suitable for the current economic circumstances. Other restaurants charge 25 to 30 baht per bowl," another customer said.

Preeyanuch Saengsuwan, Three Baht Noodle’s owner, said the average number of noodle bowls eaten was around 5 bowls per person. But one customer used to have 27 bowls of noodles at one time.

Preeyanuch added although she sold up to 1,500 bowls of noodles during the weekend, the profit was small due to the rising cost of ingredients. But she’s never considered raising the price.

Preeyanuch Saengsuwan, Owner, Three Baht Noodle shop said “I want to return the favour to customers who have been eating my noodles for 20 years already. I also want to preserve the ‘Three Baht Noodle’ to be unique for Chiang Mai.”

Meanwhile, another three baht noodle shop which has been open for 32 years has already marked up the price to 5 baht per bowl, due to the rising food price crisis. With the 2 baht increase, the number of customers has dropped by nearly half.

Many people might wonder what they can buy with only three baht. But for Chiang Mai people, particularly those who earn little income, they know very well, with three baht, they can survive another day.

--TNA 2008-06-14

Yeah its at the corner near my mother in law's house.

Ok head over to Prince Royal area and it's across the street from Payap Theology (NOT THE DARA SIDE), about 100 yards or so on the left hand side. Before it, on the same side is a high end groomer named i-Groom, formally Starwood.

Anyone know the location?

If its the other side of town and costs you 50 Baht in gas ...where is the benefit?

Lets not get going on the "Stingy Farang" path.

This offer is aimed at Thai workers who probably earn 120 Baht a day...not the likes of us

If its the other side of town and costs you 50 Baht in gas ...where is the benefit?

This offer is aimed at Thai workers who probably earn 120 Baht a day...not the likes of us

I've never seen a Farang in there, though I know some of my family members eat there once in awhile since its a 2 minute walk, they claim it's great. They also make much MUCH more than 120b a day.

It's more of a local thing than paycheck. If you happen to be across the river etc etc check it out.

If its the other side of town and costs you 50 Baht in gas ...where is the benefit? Lets not get going on the 'Stingy Farang' path.

I seriously doubt that. If this is the one on Doi Saket Gao road then I've been there several times, and looking at the other customers they're definitely not on 120 baht a day! I think the attraction to many Thais is also that it reminds them of a 'cheaper and easier life' back when they were students, etc. The money saved is just a bonus.

Because don't think for a minute that getting a few strands of noodle for 3 (now 5) baht is more cost effective than steaming some sticky rice and pounding some chillies into nam phrik.

So anyway, the only location I know is on Doi Saket Gao road, that's the one parallel to and to the North of Kaew Nawarat Road. (Before doing a right turn and ending up at Kaew Nawarat again close to the bus station.)

If they are getting their noodles right, people will travel. Without that, you can't become an "icon", as they apparently have.

(It's interesting that such a place can be popular with wealthier Thais, who we might not expect to like being seen at such an ostentatiously cheap eatery. Perhaps its the very ostentatiousness of the cheapness that makes it cool.)

I don't know about costs of rice vs. noodles, but washing 27 bowls when 2 or 3 might do the job is also interesting :o .

C'mon TeePee, the ET's need this.