How To Watch Thai Tv From Belgium ?

DP9700

Hi

My wife would like to watch live thai TV from home here in Belgium. I have a cable connection (4Mbps Download speed)

I found this website (http://www.thethaitv.com) but I have some streaming problems. It’s just laggy, sometimes no audio, sometimes no videos and so on. My wife is getting crazy.

There is also this website (http://www.thaitv.tv) but you need to pay to watch. I don’t even know if it will work beter that the previous site. If someone use this ?

Does anyone know how to solve my problems, other websites … ?

I would also be interested in buying a satelite dish but I don’t know if I can get those channels that my wife looks at (CH 3,5 and 7)

Thanks a lot

DP

Funny, I'm Belgian and watch Belgian TV in Thailand :o In theory, the best solution for your wife is to install a slingbox somewhere in Thailand. It's a small box (not for sale in Belgium) that sends the signal of the cable tv, satellite or whatever source over the internet to your pc in Belgium, and allows her to watch TV like she was at home. It works perfect for me and the quality - even on a big tv screen - is very acceptable. The problem of course is internet, both in Belgium and Thailand...

Because you send a stream from Thailand to Belgium, you will need a very good upstream in Thailand. And that's not evident ! Currently, I have an official upstream of 512 kbps, but in reality I mostly stream at something around 150-200 kbps to Europe, which is not good enough for TV. It will give you something like youtube on your pc, but no "real TV". Normally, my ISP will double my speed next week, so I will have an upstream of 1024 kbps, but I doubt my real speed will be even 50 % of what I pay for. In Belgium, your 4 Mb down will be more as enough, but keep in mind, Thailand is not the only monkey country ! All Belgian ISP's have ridiculous low download limits, so before you know it you're cut of because you reached your limit for the month (that's the reason I placed my slingbox in the Netherlands, much cheaper and much better internet)

I know about one Thai satellite TV station you can receive in Europe : TNG . No idea how it looks, but it's maybe worth a try.

Thai Global broadcast free from one of the Hotbird satellites, easily received in Belgium (we were there for 2 years, kept the missus sane [ish]), sadly the free-to-air channels don't :o

We never really got the streaming versions to work properly probably due to limited bandwidth out of Thailand :D

Assuming you can put up a dish one of the cheapo free-to-air digital receivers will get it (and about 9000000 other useless channels including AlJazeera), IIRC the Lanna channel is also on that bird (lots of monks chanting).

Where in Belgium are you located?

Edited by Crossy

Thai Global broadcast free from one of the Hotbird satellites, easily received in Belgium (we were there for 2 years, kept the missus sane [ish]), sadly the free-to-air channels don't :o

We never really got the streaming versions to work properly probably due to limited bandwidth out of Thailand :D

Assuming you can put up a dish one of the cheapo free-to-air digital receivers will get it (and about 9000000 other useless channels including AlJazeera), IIRC the Lanna channel is also on that bird (lots of monks chanting).

Where in Belgium are you located?

I'm located in Brussels.

I think I will go with the dish, I have one but I think it's too small . Do you have some suggestions on what dish to buy and what receiver (decoder?) also ?

What do you mean by the free to air channels don't ? The miss will be very happy with the national channels (3,5 and 7). She told me she doesn't need the others channels. How was your experience with those national channels ? Worked good like any other channel or was it sometimes bad quality or laggy ?

Thanks to everyone for the websites, a few of them works better than my previous one but it's still not perfect. I think the only solution to watch thai tv from belgium in good conditions is the dish.

I'm located in Brussels.

I think I will go with the dish, I have one but I think it's too small . Do you have some suggestions on what dish to buy and what receiver (decoder?) also ?

What do you mean by the free to air channels don't ? The miss will be very happy with the national channels (3,5 and 7). She told me she doesn't need the others channels. How was your experience with those national channels ? Worked good like any other channel or was it sometimes bad quality or laggy ?

A small dish (70 - 80 cm) should do it for the Hotbird in Belgium. Best tell your miss clearly that she WON'T be able to watch Channels 3,5 and 7. TGN is operated by the Thai Army (if they are not too busy preparing coups) and brings a compilation from several other channels. Best let her have a look at the TV guide before you run to the shop to buy a dish :o

I'm located in Brussels.

Thanks to everyone for the websites, a few of them works better than my previous one but it's still not perfect. I think the only solution to watch thai tv from belgium in good conditions is the dish.

Sorry for the confusion, ONLY Thai Global on Hotbird :o

My experience with a Thai wife in Belgium was that she was happy with any Thai TV, and regular (at least 3 a week) visits to the Thai supermarket in Leuven (we lived in Tervuren), mainly for a good gas and meeting for somtham.

Pop into your local satellite shop, they'll tell you what you need to get Hotbird, probably < 100Euro.

I think your wife will be happy with TNG from Hotbird. Despite the name, the station takes the best from stations like 5, 3 and 7 etc. They even have the old station logo on the screen sometimes when showing soaps etc.

Chris

Funny, I'm Belgian and watch Belgian TV in Thailand :o In theory, the best solution for your wife is to install a slingbox somewhere in Thailand. It's a small box (not for sale in Belgium) that sends the signal of the cable tv, satellite or whatever source over the internet to your pc in Belgium, and allows her to watch TV like she was at home. It works perfect for me and the quality - even on a big tv screen - is very acceptable. The problem of course is internet, both in Belgium and Thailand...

Because you send a stream from Thailand to Belgium, you will need a very good upstream in Thailand. And that's not evident ! Currently, I have an official upstream of 512 kbps, but in reality I mostly stream at something around 150-200 kbps to Europe, which is not good enough for TV. It will give you something like youtube on your pc, but no "real TV". Normally, my ISP will double my speed next week, so I will have an upstream of 1024 kbps, but I doubt my real speed will be even 50 % of what I pay for. In Belgium, your 4 Mb down will be more as enough, but keep in mind, Thailand is not the only monkey country ! All Belgian ISP's have ridiculous low download limits, so before you know it you're cut of because you reached your limit for the month (that's the reason I placed my slingbox in the Netherlands, much cheaper and much better internet)

I know about one Thai satellite TV station you can receive in Europe : TNG . No idea how it looks, but it's maybe worth a try.

Did you mean bvn, I had it on my satellite and now on the cable but picture quality from the cable is very poor compared with satellite.

Did you mean bvn, I had it on my satellite and now on the cable but picture quality from the cable is very poor compared with satellite.

No, it streams you every single channel which is on the cable or Astra satellite at home. You can also connect a DVR at home and control it remote.