Money

ignis

The odd coins always get thrown into a big old tin, the tin is full...

Been counting, just in 1 baht coins there are over 2,000 baht..

I have put into 100 coins per bag, so have 20 plastic food type bags, now wonder if the Bank will take them? advise please

Last year took out the 5 baht coins, at the time was 1,500 baht worth, no problem but was amazed the teller counted then all by hand [No machine or scales]

2000 x 1baht coins are a lot if they count all by hand, so wondered if there is a limit to how many per time.

I do exactly the same - I take the money out for my daily paper in Singapore but it still mounts up.

I did the same in Belgium for 4 years and in the UK - I ended up giving it to charity.

I have another box of foreign currency from around Asia

I have put into 100 coins per bag, so have 20 plastic food type bags, now wonder if the Bank will take them? advise please

Last year took out the 5 baht coins, at the time was 1,500 baht worth, no problem but was amazed the teller counted then all by hand [No machine or scales]

2000 x 1baht coins are a lot if they count all by hand, so wondered if there is a limit to how many per time.

The banks will take them, no limit of how many coins. Correct, there are normally no machines for this.

You will most likely have to count them again, together with a bank employee.

Then of course pay a 3-4% fee.

7/11 normally no fee. They are always in need of coins.

My wife always uses 7/11 for this. As a Thai she is not interested in paying any fee (to the bank) for this service.

Our local food shops are very happy when we pay in small change. We sometimes get them to change up 100baht, they are even happier. Guess yours might be the same.

At home I have a large Johnnie Walker whiskey bottle in which I decided to save all those annoying little gold satang coins.

Last year I visited a Bangkok Bank with a friend who has an account there and wanted to change his satang coins that he had saved over the months.

The bank clerk spoke good English. He told my friend that the bank doesnt have time to mess about counting coins and to get rid of them elsewhere. My friend, annoyed at the attitude of the bank, went outside the bank and threw the coins down a drain. Now we sticky tape the coins together in 5 baht lots and use them in Tescos or other supermarkets, not worth the effort to save them up.

It doesnt seem that in Thailand banks are obliged to count and change coins in high quantities. I suppose it`s down to if the bank clerk likes your face and has the time.

As I posted in a message that was removed, the larger banks do have coin counters that not only count but sort the coins according to denomination. It is unlikely that you will find these in the smaller annexes in malls.

Also, before taking lightly disposing of the King's currency down a drain or elsewhere, I think you will find that, as in most countries, it is a crime.

Many thanks for the replies...

So change of plan today will not take to the Bank.

My water bill is between 170 - 230baht per month which I always pay at a 7/11, so will pay the water bill with them each month, today have a bill to pay 202 baht + the 10 baht charge

Always pay the lady that delivers the drinking water with 1 baht coins, for years.. 3x 20lt bottles per week now just gone up to 13baht per bottle.

Carrefour will once in awhile make an announcement (and I'm sure you could probably just ask if they don't have a sign up) that they are in need of 25 and 50 satang pieces. After a minor washing in soapy water, I usually have a niece or nephew do the counting and then having them change them in there. Carrefour doesn't charge any kind of exchange fee and it's a "fun" counting/*learning about how money adds up* exercise for the kids.

:o

Edited by Heng